E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Problems Following Aftermarket Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='1057708' date='Nov 18 2009, 01:12 PM
I have had no problems. It is fan cooled, however. I would not suggest this style of mounting with just any amplifier.

I am just telling you your L7 amp is upside down. The Audison amp is fine.

The fans in the L7 amp are temperature controlled so if you mount your L7 amp the other way around the fans will not have to run as often/ as long to keep the amp cool.

Why are your dealers asking you to remove the stereo before they work on it? Do they just want the sub box out so they can access the trunk modules or are they trying to get you to take more of the system out?

My car has been serviced at a couple different dealerships down here in So Cal and the dealership did not need me to remove anything.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

They said they needed access to the modules in the trunk, and my sub box was preventing that.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='1057664' date='Nov 18 2009, 03:31 PM
I drop off the car on Saturday morning for the Active Steering Module replacement.
There is zero chance the steering is fixing itself. It has been over a month now.

I am NOT fixing the TCU. The error is simply an antenna error which I believe is not worth the cost of replacing the TCU unit itself. (That is the ONLY suggestion BMW will give me, I am certain) My navigation and Bluetooth are working fine still.

Hopefully they will be able to fix the Active Steering by Monday or Tuesday, and I can get the stereo put back together before Thanksgiving.

um... my bluetooth was keep disconnecting and causing it to be very static... took it to the dealer and my TCU Unit was bad..

so your bluetooth might need to be replaced also
Old 11-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

There is nothing wrong with my Bluetooth. It has been fine both before and after the stereo installation.

The only reason I know there is a TCU antenna fault is because BMW told me so after running the diagnostic on my car. The found a series of faults after the stereo install. They clear out the faults and test drove the car. They then only pulled up two faults:

AFS Active Steering Control Module - Hardware Fault
TCU TCU antenna fault

All other faults have been cleared out and did not return.

I know the active steering is not working because of how far I must turn the steering wheel. And this is not a simple AFS reset problem because I have gone through the reset procedure numerous times without success. And BMW has tried to reset the steering and failed. So they said they must replace the Active Steering Control Module.

They asked me whether I wanted them to fix the other fault, TCU antenna. I asked if that was an important feature and they said it was for the car's phone. Since I do not use the car's phone, or the BMW Assist, I do not see the TCU antenna as a critical feature. I believe I can live without it. My car is no longer under warranty and the only solution BMW had for fixing the TCU antenna error was to replace the TCU unit. The cost for this would be over $1000. I am not interested in spending that money just so my car has a cell phone for BMW Assist.

I only want my Active Steering fixed, and hopefully the new control module will accomplish this for me.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Since you have Logic7 you want to look at this product. i highly recommend going that route. i live 5-10 minutes from Ultimate Audio in OBT and would love to listen to your car.

http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/preamp_DA1000
Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='1058464' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:41 PM
Since you have Logic7 you want to look at this product. i highly recommend going that route. i live 5-10 minutes from Ultimate Audio in OBT and would love to listen to your car.

http://www.mobridgeinc.com/products/preamp_DA1000
I have just learned of this product and it looks very cool.

That said, I don't see how I would have much need for it with my car. The reason I say this is because I am listening to music primarily through my iPod which is connected to my Audison BitOne via AUX inputs. If I were to have that Mobridge, it would not even get used for the majority of the time since I don't listen to CDs anymore due to the increased convenience of an iPod.

Out of curiosity, how much is the Mobridge?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='1058743' date='Nov 19 2009, 06:51 PM
I have just learned of this product and it looks very cool.

That said, I don't see how I would have much need for it with my car. The reason I say this is because I am listening to music primarily through my iPod which is connected to my Audison BitOne via AUX inputs. If I were to have that Mobridge, it would not even get used for the majority of the time since I don't listen to CDs anymore due to the increased convenience of an iPod.

Out of curiosity, how much is the Mobridge?
Its in the $200-$300 range. Might seem expensive but well worth it. Quick question, why dont you have the bmw or dension 500 ipod interface? Its a lot easier controlling the ipod thru idrive.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='1059040' date='Nov 20 2009, 09:00 AM
Its in the $200-$300 range. Might seem expensive but well worth it. Quick question, why dont you have the bmw or dension 500 ipod interface? Its a lot easier controlling the ipod thru idrive.
My E60 is a 2005 model, which was purchased in November 2004. There was no OEM iPod solution for my car at that time. The OEM iPod integration feature was added some time after I bought my car.

I did have the BMW AUX Input installed by my dealership a few months after purchasing the car, however. However, the quality of the AUX Input was terrible, even after I modified the cable by removing the resistors. Plus, if I charged the iPod via a cigarette charger I always got alternator noise.

I researched the Dension option and I do not believe I would be able to use it because of the style of music I listen to and how I organize it. (I browse by Composer) From what I could read about the Dension, I do not believe it allows you to browse by Composer?

With my current system, I decided to connect my iPod directly into the BitOne via the AUX Input and bypass the factory audio system altogether. This seemed to me to be the best solution, barring any sort of iPod adapter which could output Optical digital. (I am not aware of any iPod Optical output options except for one home-audio docking station.)
Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Contributors

Car dropped of at the dealer this morning to have the replacement Active Steering Control Module installed.
Finger are crossed in hopes this works.

Will report back on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Picked car up from BMW today. Active Steering is fixed.
They replaced the Active Steering Control Module and reprogrammed the car.

Next stop, the stereo shop to put my subwoofer and bass amp back in. That's tomorrow morning.

Fingers are crossed that nothing goes wrong when we fire the stereo back up.

Quick Reply: Problems Following Aftermarket Stereo Install