E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-LCI (2004) $522 (Xenon) to LCI $524 (AHL Dynamic Xenon) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 02:09 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 E60 530d
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M57 218HP
Question Pre-LCI (2004) $522 (Xenon) to LCI $524 (AHL Dynamic Xenon) retrofit

Hi!
This is my first post so please be gentle

I've spent days looking for an answer to my question, readdozens of pages on this and other forums and I still can't find a concrete answer.

My situation is as follows:
The car: Built 04/12, Xenon ($522) fitted from factory
The Goal: have LCI Dynamic Xenon ($524) fully working
What I have:
- 61 12 0 432 110 BMW retrofit kit
- a set of LCI Dynamic Xenon headlights
- a set of LCI rear lights
- an AHL-capable LM2 (from a 2008 car if that matters)

As my car does not have the AHL fitted from the factory, there is no module under the glovebox (so nothing to transplant the 12 wires into LM2 from).

The Question(s): what exactly do I need to do hardware-wise in order to fit the LCI lights and have the AHL working correctly? The coding I can most likely sort out on my own.

Will there be a need of adding any wiring to the LM2 plug (X12) coming from the car harness (like CAN/LIN/PT-CAN and such)

Will I have to route any new wires from LM2 to each of the headlights? Or can the goal be accomplished just by repinning the existing ones?

Other threads that I browsed were either pre-LCI AHL -> LCI AHL, or Halogen->Xenon, or pre-LCI -> LCI Xenon but nothing about pre-lci Xenon to LCI AHL.

Please help, as my head is already spinning from all of the knowledge (I literally read every AHL related thread on this board).

Cheers,
Bart

PS I tried to make the thread as google-friendly as possible so in case there is a resolution posted, other lost souls would have it easier than me

Last edited by xardas; 12-12-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:23 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

Hi Bart,
in your case, there is actualy a retrofitting PDF file from BMW. Start with the front headlights as yours are LCI. You will have a plug for these in the retrofit wiring harness. Swap the plugs around and allocate the pins to the correct holes.

Google this "bmw e60 lci retrofit pdf".

The coding part is easy
Old 12-14-2021, 12:28 AM
New Members

@smartshah thanks for your reply!

If I understood what you said correctly that would mean that my LM socket (X12) would already be wired with all the necessary CAN lines for the AHL to work and that existing wiring between X12 and headlamps is enough to get the AHL going?

I'm a bit confused whether I will actually need to move pins around (or add CANs) or if it's a simple matter of swapping LM2 over, then modifying the headlamp harness to use the new plugs and then coding.

That would make things a whole lot easier than I expect - so just follow the retrofit instructions as if I had the AHL already, right?
Old 12-14-2021, 12:29 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i, 2010 535, 2010 535xi
Default Wish I had the answer

Originally Posted by xardas
Hi!

I've spent days looking for an answer to my question, readdozens of pages on this and other forums and I still can't find a concrete answer.

What I have:

As my car does not have the AHL fitted from the factory, there is no module under the glovebox (so nothing to transplant the 12 wires into LM2 from).

The Question(s): what exactly do I need to do hardware-wise in order to fit the LCI lights and have the AHL working correctly? The coding I can most likely sort out on my own.

Will there be a need of adding any wiring to the LM2 plug (X12) coming from the car harness (like CAN/LIN/PT-CAN and such)

Will I have to route any new wires from LM2 to each of the headlights? Or can the goal be accomplished just by repinning the existing ones?

Other threads that I browsed were either pre-LCI AHL -> LCI AHL, or Halogen->Xenon, or pre-LCI -> LCI Xenon but nothing about pre-lci Xenon to LCI AHL.

Please help, as my head is already spinning from all of the knowledge (I literally read every AHL related thread on this board).

Cheers,
Bart

PS I tried to make the thread as google-friendly as possible so in case there is a resolution posted, other lost souls would have it easier than me
I have In 04 530i build 03/04. I have ahl but I can't finf that module under the glovebox. If you know where I can get the diagram for this module maybe u can add one to yours. The harness is the same for all e60
Old 12-14-2021, 12:31 AM
New Members

[QUOTE=xardas;1612607]Hi!

What I have:

- Yes Dynamic headlights require PT Can. This you can splice into, under the driver, right side. It is in the corner. WDS tells you exactly where this is. You need to grab that signal, and get the wiring PINs. From BMW. It is Pin 5. If you go back to the other post, where you just posted a comment, there is a diagram there. Or go to realoem.com. You will see a diagram of these Pin connectors. On that diagram it is Pin 5.

The info is here
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...-136756/page2/

Old 12-14-2021, 12:36 AM
New Members

@smartshah
that makes sense! Is the pin 5 for PT-CAN the only one that needs to be added to LM socket?
In the thread you posted the OP moved a lot of wires from AHL module to LM2.
What about the connection between LM and the headlamps, will my wiring have all necessary wires to cover all 11 pins or will I also need to route new wire(s) to lamps themselves?

Old 12-14-2021, 12:37 AM
New Members

[QUOTE=xardas;1612630]@smartshah thanks for your reply!

If I understood what you said correctly that would mean that my LM socket (X12) would already be wired with all the necessary CAN lines for the AHL to work and that existing wiring between X12 and headlamps is enough to get the AHL going?

No, your car is not equipped with AHL. So you need a PT CAN signal. You need to move wires from the Connector onto different points. Follow my guide, on the other thread. As I had the same setup as you. The only thing different is the front LCI Dynamic Lights.

You will have to grab the PT CAN signal, under the drivers carpet. Look on WDS it points the location.

So for the front lights, follow my guide on the other thread. For the rear lights follow the PDF.

The following users liked this post:
xardas (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:40 AM
New Members

@smartshah
that makes sense! Is the pin 5 for PT-CAN the only one that needs to be added to LM socket?
What about the connection between LM and the headlamps, will my wiring have all necessary wires to cover all 11 pins or will I also need to route new wire(s) to lamps themselves?
Look here, the other forum you posted in, is to remove AHL unit, to LM2. The below applies to you.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...t-help-147257/
The following users liked this post:
xardas (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:58 AM
New Members

Default I think I get it

Originally Posted by smartshah
Look here, the other forum you posted in, is to remove AHL unit, to LM2. The below applies to you.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-p...t-help-147257/
Thank you for taking the time to help! I've read all of the threads posted here but I couldn't work out which information applies to my car specifically (I don't have access to WDS)
To summarize the info from the thread you posted:

at LM2:
5 -> insert pin from rear right lamp [from retrofit PDF]
20 -> move to 75
21 -> move to 76
25 -> move to 53 [from retrofit PDF]
37 -> take out -> ground
38 -> take out -> ground
40 -> move to 11 [from retrofit PDF]
58 -> move to 38
59 -> move to 37
62 -> insert pin from rear left lamp [from retrofit PDF]
76 -> take out -> insulate
71 -> insert PT CAN Low
72 -> insert PT CAN High

at headlamps:
connect wires according to LCI UPDATE.pdf (wire colors will not match exactly)

+ coding (with build date #0905), will give me working AHL and Angel Eyes (and working rears but that's not related)
Does that sound correct?

Last edited by xardas; 12-14-2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:03 AM
New Members

@smartshah

Start off by ordering the Connector Pins from BMW. I ordered 5 of them. They come with cable, attached. Then grab like 4 metres of extra cable. There are earth points, near where the LM2 lives, attached to the right of the car body. If you can grab those connectors which slide into the factory earth points, it will make your life easy.

look at the thread i linked to you. There are a few Pins that will need to be swapped around, In the connector. Be patient. Take your time. Swap them around. A few wires will need to be removed and grounded. And a few wires will need to be disconnected and heat shrunk.

So start with the above first, then code the lights then fit the lights.

Make a note of what you need to do. So you don't have to keep looking at your phone.

I am pretty sure with the Rear LCI you will have to update your VO from 2007. And this will knock your rain sensor out. So I suggest you search another forum here, BMW E60 Rear LCI without BRUCE cables. It is better this way.

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI (2004) $522 (Xenon) to LCI $524 (AHL Dynamic Xenon) retrofit