DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes

Old 03-31-2014, 06:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by bulletrs
Are you sure that the pins that go into the LM connector are partno 61138369696? Provided that BMW gave me the correct pins, they don't fit inside the LM connector...
good question, but I'm sure this is the number on the invoice and on the bag.
First time, when I have ordered this, I have been given big (double sized) connectors which they are present as well, than I had to order those and it was working well for me.

But it was important to do the crimping correctly, otherwise they wouldn't fit

Btw, how have you managed the cable on the driver's side? Behind the steering wheel rod? I can't seem to find a proper location to manage the cable somewhere. Maybe you have some pictures?
I just hide them behind the carpet, it was the easiest way, there is the plastic cover anyway so no problems up to now.
Attached Thumbnails AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes-screenshot-2014-03-31-15.32.57.jpg  
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 645ci S '04

Today I finished the job and everything is working on my 645ci '04 (No errors in the system and fully workin adaptive headlights). Only difference is that I had to use different pins. The ones I used are (nr.5):

Penstekker ELO | BMW 6' E63 645Ci N62 Europa

So if someone wants to do this on his 6 series '04 you can use this tutorial.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 AM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19

Today I finished the job and everything is working on my 645ci '04 (No errors in the system and fully workin adaptive headlights). Only difference is that I had to use different pins. The ones I used are (nr.5):

Penstekker ELO | BMW 6' E63 645Ci N62 Europa

So if someone wants to do this on his 6 series '04 you can use this tutorial.

Thanks for info, it is interested, why they are different pins....
Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I just did this mod - I have pre lci xenons with separate AHL module (pre 0305) - fitted LM2 and coded with default settings, directional xenons have come back to life (installing the LM2 without coding it disabled them).

Now the only problem is that I think my Auto light sensor isn't working. With the light switch in A, the full dipped beams come on, as if it's night time, even if it's a bright day (well I think it's bright enough for the lights not to come on)!
Haven't had time to investigate further and see what's what. Will have a look with DIS and see if the RLS (rain light sensor) is showing any errors.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
I just did this mod - I have pre lci xenons with separate AHL module (pre 0305) - fitted LM2 and coded with default settings, directional xenons have come back to life (installing the LM2 without coding it disabled them).

Now the only problem is that I think my Auto light sensor isn't working. With the light switch in A, the full dipped beams come on, as if it's night time, even if it's a bright day (well I think it's bright enough for the lights not to come on)!
Haven't had time to investigate further and see what's what. Will have a look with DIS and see if the RLS (rain light sensor) is showing any errors.
I had issues with my Light Sensor even before - not as this was not working, but how this work.
For example in sunny afternoon with sun directly in front of me (sensor than fully in sunlight) my lights where ON, on not so sunny day it was behaving normally.

I have tried to change the sensitivity (not sure now which module or if this worked) but if I remember there is something somewhere in trace file to have the lights enabled during dawn - I think if the sensor is facing directly to the sun, it is enabling the lights.

But generally it is behaving normally, when in tunnel it will enable the lights and after it shuts them off.

Another question is, if you did any other changes and change the year of production too much, after 07 (LCI Cars) it has used different protocol and the light module doesn't recognize the signal from the light sensor.

Last edited by madein; 01-01-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2006
Default Thanks for the helpful info!

I just completed the modifications on my 2005 545 and now I have a fully functional setup with LM2, LCI Tail Lights, and pre-LCI xenon-AHL headlights.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Newbiewan
I just completed the modifications on my 2005 545 and now I have a fully functional setup with LM2, LCI Tail Lights, and pre-LCI xenon-AHL headlights.

Thanks a bunch!
Glad it worked for you
Old 09-25-2018, 01:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 535d
Model Year: 2005

I also finish modifications on my 535d 02,2005 but is not successful. I still have errors like on photo. I change FA but ista still see AHL. Anyone know where I find alive signal?

Please help
Old 09-26-2018, 01:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Czarooo

I also finish modifications on my 535d 02,2005 but is not successful. I still have errors like on photo. I change FA but ista still see AHL. Anyone know where I find alive signal?

Please help
Hi, did you code the car with new FA?

You may have change the FA, but as you don't code the car after that, some of the units will be still looking for the AHL.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 535d
Model Year: 2005

Hi madein

You have right everything works perfect. Thank You very much. very good job

Last edited by Czarooo; 09-26-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: make mistake

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AHL unit removal for pre 03/2005 with adaptive headlights for LM1 to LM2 changes