E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Potenza RE960/Eagle GT/ContiExtremeContac/ADVAN W4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

That time of the year again to start thinking about tires - around V the Russian's household anyway

I am in NY area, so we don't really get a LOT of snow and ice, but enough to warrant a decent all weather tire for the November through April season. We do go out into the Poconos a lot too in the winter, so I do drive on snow and ice occasionally. I want to be sure I get the most performance out of the tires too, so for now I'm looking at "ultra high performance all-season" tires on tirerack to get an idea...

So I'm looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT, as one of the options, actually (even though I've vowed to never used Goodyears again, but these have decent enough reviews for me to consider them):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Anyone ever have any experience with these? Good or bad...

Potenza RE960AS's are a strong contender and so are the Contis - mostly due to their light weight...
Old 08-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='987811' date='Aug 25 2009, 02:05 AM
That time of the year again to start thinking about tires - around V the Russian's household anyway

I am in NY area, so we don't really get a LOT of snow and ice, but enough to warrant a decent all weather tire for the November through April season. We do go out into the Poconos a lot too in the winter, so I do drive on snow and ice occasionally. I want to be sure I get the most performance out of the tires too, so for now I'm looking at "ultra high performance all-season" tires on tirerack to get an idea...

So I'm looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT, as one of the options, actually (even though I've vowed to never used Goodyears again, but these have decent enough reviews for me to consider them):
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes

Anyone ever have any experience with these? Good or bad...

Potenza RE960AS's are a strong contender and so are the Contis - mostly due to their light weight...
I am partial to running summer performance tires in summer, fall and spring and dedicated snows in the winter. The Dunlop WinterSport M3 has very good dry weather performance for a dedicated snow at the expense of some grip in the snow. The Blizzaks have even more snow grip but perform worse in dry weather.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='987950' date='Aug 25 2009, 09:20 AM
I am partial to running summer performance tires in summer, fall and spring and dedicated snows in the winter. The Dunlop WinterSport M3 has very good dry weather performance for a dedicated snow at the expense of some grip in the snow. The Blizzaks have even more snow grip but perform worse in dry weather.
Have you considered Contis DWS or Michelin PS A/S Plus?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='987950
Have you considered Contis DWS or Michelin PS A/S Plus?
Can't say that I have, no. I'll look into both now, but Michelin are definitely out of my price range. Probably
Old 10-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Contributors

Just kinda bumping the thread in hopes that someone might already have a review on the DWS's...

I'm still torn between the Bridgestone RE960s and the Conti DWS's, with the scale balancing between the price advantage of the DWS's, and the reviews and reputation of the RE960s on the other side. I can't decide if its worth the extra 200 bucks to get the proven best tire in the category, or should I take a slight risk on the DWS's (as there aren't many reviews) and save the money for smth else...
Old 10-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1025696' date='Oct 6 2009, 04:51 AM
Just kinda bumping the thread in hopes that someone might already have a review on the DWS's...

dws is just released so i dont think that many people have them before but i had re960.. they are good tires but pricy....
Old 10-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='1025697' date='Oct 6 2009, 04:55 AM
dws is just released so i dont think that many people have them before but i had re960.. they are good tires but pricy....
"I can get Jelly to repeat what I say to me for free! "

j/k

Thanks for the chime-in In your opinion, were the RE960s worth the money?

PS:
Reading this, here's what one guy's saying:
"I had an opportunity to test the different flavors of ExtremeContact DW (Dry Wet) and DWS (Dry Wet Snow) at the company's tire launch event/ride and drive back in March. Test driving these Conti tires against the competition, using identically set up vehicles, was a surefire way to evaluate their capabilities and limitations. My impression was favorable enough that I reached out to Continental to outfit our project car. As I said, I was thoroughly impressed prior to mounting these tires on the Acura CL-S, but being able to test the DWS on a car I am infinitely more familiar with has cemented my earlier opinion.
With this kind of words floating around about the DWS's, its getting increasingly harder to ignore them... pretty light too at 23lbs for the 245/40/18s - no?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 AM
Contributors

Found a pretty decent write-up here - if anyone's in the same boat as me:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartD...ay.jsp?ttid=119

Looks likely that I'll be getting the DWS's, so any vendors on here, who might wanna give me a quote, go right ahead - PM or here, either or
Old 10-06-2009, 04:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

heard blizzaks are excellent in snow and nyc harsh weather
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Get Dunlop Wintersport M3's. I have them for my 17's.

I had the OEM 124's with Potenza RE960's (All season) and the grip on snow wasn't that good at all. It didn't even snow that much. So I got rid of them and got pure winter tires.

Either Dunlop Wintersport M3's or Blizzak's (I've heard nothing but good things about them).

Quick Reply: Potenza RE960/Eagle GT/ContiExtremeContac/ADVAN W4S