E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Positive Battery Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M Sport

Replacing first piece of positive cabke with terminal did the trick. No more passenger restraint message and no more airbag light on the dash. The reason for those lights to appear was high resistance from this cable.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJBentley
You're definitely one of the Go To guys around here lol. Had that dreaded passenger restraint system malfunction warning on my iDrive for 2 years already. John at Motorcepts tried to clear it and it cleared but came back after a few days. You mind sharing where you went to that indy to get it fixed? Need to get mine checked out ASAP
hmm have you tried to get bmw to diagnose the issue? Did john try to diagnose the error code before he cleared it? If john couldn't fix it I don't know if that guy i went to will but I'll pm you him number once i find it gimma a day or so.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by TJBentley
You're definitely one of the Go To guys around here lol. Had that dreaded passenger restraint system malfunction warning on my iDrive for 2 years already. John at Motorcepts tried to clear it and it cleared but came back after a few days. You mind sharing where you went to that indy to get it fixed? Need to get mine checked out ASAP
I used INPA to confirm that my seat occupancy matt was faulty. Code was 93C3. I told the dealer and they replaced the matt about 6 months ago under CPO and no errors ever since.

Originally Posted by rafichicago
Replacing first piece of positive cabke with terminal did the trick. No more passenger restraint message and no more airbag light on the dash. The reason for those lights to appear was high resistance from this cable.
From what I heard this can be confirmed with INPA as well. It would throw a high resistance code. So it's best to confirm. Otherwise you would be paying $300 for a new cable on a wild goose chase.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
From what I heard this can be confirmed with INPA as well. It would throw a high resistance code. So it's best to confirm. Otherwise you would be paying $300 for a new cable on a wild goose chase.
By the way. The reason I know this was because I went and spent money on a new cable for that wild goose chase. Replaced the cable and error was still there. The real fix FOR ME was the 93C3 faulty matt replacement. So now I have a spare positive cable.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

By the way. The reason I know this was because I went and spent money on a new cable for that wild goose chase. Replaced the cable and error was still there. The real fix FOR ME was the 93C3 faulty matt replacement. So now I have a spare positive cable.
that damn error is to broad and general
Old 03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Members

Holy crap...Seriously, do what or_550i says and go to the dealership unannounced and get your car! Taking a wild guess but I wouldn't doubt you would be seeing funky dash errors only because they took some fuses out before handing the car over to you! Happened here on another thread. Go to the main E60 Discussion Forum and start a thread asking for reputable independent BMW shops in your area. I've seen a lot of members here that are from Texas. I'm sure you'll get at least 2 or 3 recommendations.

I'm curious...Is the car at the shop for body work only? Is something else wrong with the car aside from that and the alleged bad positive cable?

I took in the car because there was several errors on my dashboard (Service Engine, Airbags, Restraint System). I just spoke again with the SA and apparently I need the positive battery cable replaced ($3.020), the thermometer replaced ($457), and the seat mat sensor replaced as well($1,400). I picked up my car because I'm looking for a reputable independent BMW shop as I was advised here and now my car says "increased emissions" and low coolant level. I looked underneath the car and it's dripping anti coolant (which it wasn't before). I Opened the engine and it is dripping out of what looks to be a connection at the bottom of the anti coolant black box. What a mess!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Members

After of 3 days of the car being there the SA tells me my car needs the positive battery cable replaced ($3,020), the thermostat replaced ($430), and the seat mat sensor replaced ($1,400). I picked up my car because that sounded a little sketchy to me specially since i only have 80,000 miles on my 2005 BMW 545i. After a couple of hours of driving it the service engine light came back on and it said "Increased Emissions" this time. I turned my car off and once I came back to my car and turned it on it said low coolant level, so I checked underneath my car and sure enough the car was dripping coolant (which it hadn't done before). I opened my hood and sure enough there is coolant dripping out of what seems to be a connection at the very bottom on the coolant container. Any help? Could any of these problems be related? I had never had problems with my car until today.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

that sucks man. coolant resorvoirs are known to crack. but the thought of sabbatoge by mechanics looking for work makes you wonder.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Contributors

That Totally SUCKS! Again. Create a new thread in E60 Discussions with the heading "NEED REPUTABLE Independent in San Antonio, TEXAS!!!".
Old 03-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Members

HI,

I have a Positive Battery Cable (PART# 61129176949) thats brand new. It was purchased due to the same prob that you have but I purchased the wrong cable. If thats the right cable part number and youre interested in buying it, please email me at Mattpht331@gmail.com

Thanks