E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Police Scanner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='208076
Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='207664' date='Dec 5 2005, 09:13 PM
Does anyone on the forum have a police scanner on their car?? From what I read seems like a pretty good system and probably more effective than V1 or any radar detector. Uniden offers many models and the BCT 12 is pretty interesting...anyone can comment on this??

http://www.uniden.com/productsupport2.cfm?product=BCT12
Very interesting. I have a scanner and have on occassion taken it in my car. A scanner set to scan the proper frequencies could be quite useful for protection. What's the price of the Uniden?
Well the BCT 12 I was looking at is not available anymore and I cannot find it anywhere online....anyone know where I can get it??

They sell the BCT-8 anywhere...gors for about 160 on ebay new...I would prefer the discontinued BCT-12 model since its just the size of a V1. I want to discreetly install the scanner. One more question....is it even legal? I read around and state that its illegal in some states and for MA its "no known laws regarding the use" of scanners. Does it mean i'm good to go??
[/quote]
I am no expert on scanner legality. But, here's are my best quesses/takes. It is illegal to use scanners to do some things in all states--at least to monitor cell phone calls and perhaps wireless home phone calls. But, one of the main purposes of scanners is to monitor fire and police. I think scanners probably are legal for these purposes, and more, in all states. And, given this observation, I don't think a state would make an unenforceable law stipulating that one cannot use a scanner to keep from being caught speeding. I think that such a law would be unenforceable because it seldomly, if ever, would be possible to prove what a scanner was being used for. But, if a state did make such a law, then I don't see how you could ever be prosecuted.

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='207964
Originally Posted by Vitacura' post='207726' date='Dec 5 2005, 11:11 PM
I have one in my work car.. oh wait.. I am a LEO!
whats an LEO?
Law Enforcement Officer! Keep up the good work.
[/quote]I'm a Cancer--Contrite Adult Never Countering Enforcement Radar.