E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Please Help - Dension Gateway 500 or ACM with USB?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Hi all,

Another noob question from me, pardon me if its repeated!

I am in a fix now regarding the Dension Gateway 500 and the ACM with USB.

I asked my local dealer here in India, and he said he will find out the price for the ACM+USB in a couple of days and tell me, says it is either around $550 or around $1100. This depends on what has come default with the car for India, and what needs to be put extra. Mostly will be the $1100 package, he says!

Now i am wondering which one shall i go for?

I think the + points of the ACM+USB over the Dension Gateway 500 is:

- Can play VIDEOS (divx/xvid/mpg) with the ACM+USB , but cannot with the Dension Gateway 500.

As i see on the dension website, it says only MP3s and a couple other format Music alone can be played. no video support. Video can only be played thru the iPod Video version.

Please correct me if i am wrong in my understanding. Will get the price for the Dension Gateway 500 also tomorrow sometime.

Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Premium,Cold,Xenon Packages

ACM+USB is probably better in long run.. probably more and more addons will popup for ACM.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

What do you want to do? Listen to music or play videos. The Dension Gateway is only for music and the ACM is only for video on the screen. They are not competing but complimentary products. USB on ACM will allow you watch and listen to music but there is no ipod? Dension are due to release an AVR that should compete with the ACM but that is not out yet.

P.S. USB on the ACM still relies on the stupidly configured AUX input but the Dension talks to the HU over the digital MOST.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

hi all! thanks a lot for clearing up my doubt... I think the ACM+USB is the thing for me!

I want to watch Movies, and also Listen to music - both off a USB drive. So well, decided its going to be the ACM+USB

Thanks all!

@ Bruce: U say that "the ACM+USB still relies on the stupidly configured AUX input while the Dension talks to the HU over the digital MOST" ... can u please explain me what the Dension does better here, and what is the drawback of the ACM+USB being configured to the AUX input?

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 03 BMW E60 520i - Steptronic - Black Sapphire - Style 116 wheels (Pirelli PZero Rosso) - PDC - Beige Dakota Leather - Dark Poplar Wood

Originally Posted by Insane Devil' post='638433' date='Aug 3 2008, 09:13 AM
hi all! thanks a lot for clearing up my doubt... I think the ACM+USB is the thing for me!

I want to watch Movies, and also Listen to music - both off a USB drive. So well, decided its going to be the ACM+USB

Thanks all!

@ Bruce: U say that "the ACM+USB still relies on the stupidly configured AUX input while the Dension talks to the HU over the digital MOST" ... can u please explain me what the Dension does better here, and what is the drawback of the ACM+USB being configured to the AUX input?

Thanks a lot!
Dension transfers the sound to the HU using a fiber optic cable (digital) where BMW's USB for ACM is using the AUX input (analog).
Old 08-04-2008, 03:51 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by kekkos' post='639146' date='Aug 4 2008, 10:10 AM
Dension transfers the sound to the HU using a fiber optic cable (digital) where BMW's USB for ACM is using the AUX input (analog).
Correct.

But if it were only this then I would not bother too much. I'm not fussed about analogue v/s digital for me its more about how it sounds. The BMW AUX input is configured badly and way too low and so you're constantly cranking up the volume for it only to below deaf when you turn back to radio or CD (another stupid BMW decision to have a single volume setting for all inputs). Because the Dension uses the CDC for its AUX it sounds better.