E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Plastic Dip

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Getting that smooth surface could be a little of a problem. Several factors you would need to be aware of.
1. Outside temperature - Not sure what the best temp would be to spray this stuff in. Cold it will dry much slower and hot, well, your gonna get a drier look and have to wet the paint more, then you get into the risk of runs.
2. Surface prep - important otherewise, everything is trapped underneath. The more you put on, the bigger the trapped item becomes. Before you spray, used compressed air to blow the car off well and make sure to get in and around moldings. Wipe it down with a pre-cleaner solution and lastly, use a good tac wrag to pull of any small dust particles etc.
3. I am curious what will happen when you get a small rock chip and it breaks the surface. Will this stuff start to peel?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Getting that smooth surface could be a little of a problem. Several factors you would need to be aware of.
1. Outside temperature - Not sure what the best temp would be to spray this stuff in. Cold it will dry much slower and hot, well, your gonna get a drier look and have to wet the paint more, then you get into the risk of runs.
2. Surface prep - important otherewise, everything is trapped underneath. The more you put on, the bigger the trapped item becomes. Before you spray, used compressed air to blow the car off well and make sure to get in and around moldings. Wipe it down with a pre-cleaner solution and lastly, use a good tac wrag to pull of any small dust particles etc.
3. I am curious what will happen when you get a small rock chip and it breaks the surface. Will this stuff start to peel?

I've been researching plasti dip on different forums and looking at these questions/people's experience .. and without using it yet.. here's what I've surmised:

!) Seems warmer is better but plenty of people have done this in cold weather without much issue.
2) Agreed .. also that's why you want it to dry quicker.. stuff can settle on it. With that said -- what's the worst case scenario? You have to peel part of it off? all of it? At most you're out a few dollars and have to respray. Not much risk at all. (maybe a bit more of an issue if you're doing the whole car / large sections)
3) Posts I've seen say it's pretty durable. Not sure if it will peel over time but it seems most people just touch those spots up and move on with no issues.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by SD5Series
ordered my stuff from dipyourcar.com. These guys lag! Shit hasn't even been sent out yet cause they said they all on back order!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Get behind me. My order was placed literally a month ago. Depending on how this works out, maybe I'll work with the manufacturer to be a bulk reseller here on the West Coast.

Guys just go to Home Depot or Lowes!! It's most likely cheaper and you don't have to wait. I got mine for $5-$6 a can. It's in the spray can section
Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by naitch
Guys just go to Home Depot or Lowes!! It's most likely cheaper and you don't have to wait. I got mine for $5-$6 a can. It's in the spray can section
True, but I've only seen the black spray or the actual dip paint can. If you want other colors, especially the unique ones, you probably have to order it online.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems

Originally Posted by Kaizen
True, but I've only seen the black spray or the actual dip paint can. If you want other colors, especially the unique ones, you probably have to order it online.

Ah yeah you are probably right. Good point I didn't think about that.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

If you are just looking to do gloss black like myself, I will be doing the following and saving a little bit of money:

The sprayer:click here
The Plastic Dip:click here
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wingedplummer
Naitch!

You gotta get more pics up of your car! It looks awesome. I too have style 124 wheels and wasn't sure about painting them black but you've got me sold!!!!
Thanks! There's a few here https://5series.net/forums/topic/122...1#entry1430485

But yeah I've been meaning to take some new pics now that I got my M5 spoiler on the trunk.

To answer a previous question this stuff touches up pretty easy, at least with fixing curb rash. It hadn't started to peel or anything but it was scraped off where I tagged the wheel at the airport. I cleaned it off and touched it up a few times with a paintbrush and looks great! Not sure how that would work with any other part of the car.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by naitch

Yea but you need multiple gallons and a sprayer -- that's the value add of the Dip Your Car site. They also include other stuff in the package that's useful. If you just want to do your wheels/grill/whatever then a quick spray can is obviously the way to go.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

went to home depot today, they only had black. i'm looking for white and gloss coater.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Originally Posted by 03grey5
You're going to plasti-dip your DPE's?
That was the idea... Why you think it's a bad decision? The only reason I am considering this is because it's not permanent

Quick Reply: Plastic Dip