E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pictures, Video, and Details of my Custom Exhaust System.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54
Default Pictures, Video, and Details of my Custom Exhaust System.

Gentlemen,

I recently had a custom exhaust system built for my N54 E61 and am very happy with the results. Here is the run-down on the system.

BACKGROUND

For the past 2 years the exhaust on my wagon has gone through many different iterations. First was a simple muffler delete, a fun improvement over stock but it left me wanting more. Next the 2ndary cats were replaced with Vibrant 1792s which offered a slight bump in sound volume.

After a while I got bored and decided to have a local muffler shop do a "custom" system for me, the 3' of oem piping (crushed ~2.3") off the DPs was left in place and the rest of the system was comprised of a Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, 2 Vibrant 1792s, and a muffler delete with a small H-pipe before the tips, all piping after the Magnaflow was crush-bent 2.5". Although there was drone in the 2,000-2,500rpm range, this setup yielded a nice smooth sound, in contrast to the flappy, farty, or raspy sound of many N54 exhausts.

In attempts to kill the drone I replaced the Vibrant 1792s (12") with their longer 18" siblings. Drone persisted but the sound got slightly softer and quieter. I started to research helmholtz and branch resonators and as an experiment had the old 1792 bottle resonators capped and welded into the muffler section as helmholtz resonators, I figured it could only help, WRONG, drone was worse. Immediately I had the muffler shop cut out everything after the Magnaflow resonator so the system is now straight piped with only the Magnaflow resonator in the mix. Surprisingly the system wasn't terribly loud, louder than before, yes, but with the added volume you got more "real" mechanical sounds. I had enough, after hearing a custom single 3" exhaust on my friends E90 (had RBs, now has an FFTEC 6466) I was convinced that was the way to go.

BUILD

Initially I ordered a QTP valve and 2 resonators so the system would be Valve Open: 1 resonator, Valve Closed: 2 resonators. I liked the idea of having options but fitting all this after my rear-axle would be a challenge and after hearing the single resonator setup I was convinced it would be quite enough for me.

Flash forward to October 2015 and I am discussing my plan with Josh at JFR Motors in Costa Mesa, CA. All is good and I drop my car off the next day with the parts I purchased for the build. Here are the specifics on my exhaust system, keep in mind I have AR "off-road" DPs.

Mandrel Bent, Stainless Steel, Tig Welded
Vibrant 2.5" flanges
Custom 2-1 Merge Collector (made by Josh) IN: dual 2.5" OUT: single 3"
Vibrant 1142 3" IN/OUT "Ultra Quiet" Resonator
Vibrant 63004 4"L Flex Section
Custom 1-2 Y-pipe (made by Josh) with dual 3.5" x 12" Slash Cut Tips (Black)

RESULT

The end result surpassed my expectations, drone which used to plague me between 2,000-2,500rpm is gone, there is some resonance around 1,500rpm but this is only noticeable when putting around parking lots. In-cabin sound levels are very manageable and I would say lower than my old system. The exhaust is now more 2 faced meaning when driven conservatively it is rather tame and civil, but when given the beans really rips.

The WOT sound is great and IMO one of the best sounds produced by a twin turbo N54. Most other N54 exhausts I like are paired with single turbos, like my buddies FFTEC E90 (custom exhaust by Filthy Fabrications) and the 829whp E90 by Motiv (exhaust unknown but Youtube it). I can't stand rasp and I am happy to say that this system is also rasp free.

In addition to the increased flow (will dyno again soon) and lighter weight, there is a significant jump in turbo noise, mainly off throttle whistle, I love it! I think this is in part due to the large diameter piping and cleaner routing. The car sounds serious!

As my wrenching skills progress along with my wagon obsession, I become more hesitant to let others work on my car. But after seeing Josh's shop, hearing his thoughts, and seeing his work, I trust him 100% and happily recommend him to others. His shop is called JFR Motors and is located in Costa Mesa, CA. (Orange County)

MEDIA

Here is a short compilation of videos I have thus far, there will be more to come.

Cold Start

Freeway Cruising

Here are some pictures of both my old and new systems. Although not all but most photos will have a corresponding description.

If you are local and want to hear it, let me know!
Evan

My original muffler delete

The system after removing 2ndary cats and oem resonator: 3' of oem crushed 2.3" piping, Magnaflow resonated x-pipe, 2.5" crush bent piping. Vibrant 1792s, H-pipe muffler delete, dual 3.5" slash cut tips

Oem ***-back section

Vibrant 1792 (12") replaced with 1793s (18")

Old H-pipe muffler delete

Vibrant 1792s capped and welded in as helmholtz chambers, this did not work.

Parts for the custom system

At JFR Motors, build in progress

Josh doing work

Merge collector welded, flex section tack welded.

Blurry detail

Y-Pipe/Tips

Detail 1

Detail 2

Detail 3

Detail 4

Nice!

Detail 5

V-band detail

Complete 1

Complete 2

Complete 3 (sorry for the angle)

Rear section complete
Old 10-13-2015, 01:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

very nice, I'm curious to see the dyno numbers with this set up
Old 10-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Looks nice, I'd consider shielding the exhaust around the transmission pan, looks like it's awfully close.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW E60 535i
Model Year: 535i 2008

This is sick sound very very nice job.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
very nice, I'm curious to see the dyno numbers with this set up
Me too, my previous best was 545awhp/510awtq in 93 degree weather.

Although my turbos have more headroom, my fuel system doesn't (well, I could go port injection but it would only be a marginal gain until my low pressure pump was also maxed out so it is hard to justify the investment of a PI system). It would be nice to break 550awhp so I could just say "550" instead "500+"

I am eagerly awaiting the completion of the VTT turbo charge-pipe, it will be a nice high-flowing compliment to the exhaust and inlet system I already have.

Originally Posted by KyleB
Looks nice, I'd consider shielding the exhaust around the transmission pan, looks like it's awfully close.
That is a good idea, I removed that oem heat shield when replacing the trans pan/filter and never put it back on, it has been like that for a while. Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Impac
This is sick sound very very nice job.
Thanks!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

How's this how's this set up compared to yours boost

QUOTE=Boost7;1569813]very nice, I'm curious to see the dyno numbers with this set up[/QUOTE]
Old 10-21-2015, 05:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Here are a couple more sound clips

Old 10-22-2015, 10:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Incredible man! Love the setup. How did you like your normal muffler-delete setup prior to this?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:26 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ThaDannyP
Incredible man! Love the setup. How did you like your normal muffler-delete setup prior to this?
Keep in mind the original muffler delete was a done a LONG time ago and my exhaust system went through 5 revisions before I had a real system built. Since most people who run a muffler delete will be coming from a completely stock setup, it is a cheap and easy way to add exhaust sound. You will get some burbles and pops along with a little bit of drone.

Muffler deletes are a great starting point but if I had to do it all over again, knowing I would end up where I am now, I would start with downpipes and removing secondary c-converters, leaving the oem resonator and muffler. I think that would be the best compromise between performance, increased sound, and minimal drone. This would also retain the can-flap valve in the oem muffler and if you have a JB4 you could control the valve being open or closed as you please.

Evan
Old 10-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

PM sent