E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pictures of my 545i with the M Aero Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 12:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stream' date='Mar 30 2005, 11:23 AM
Matching plastic parts is tough, for the reasons you stated, plus they add a flex additive to the plastic paint, which could have some affect.? Also true that if you look at most cars carefully under the right lighting conditions, you'd be surprised how often there are subtle color variations on different parts.? My experience is the great painters are artists, and may start with a paint code or computer scan, but then hand match the paint--often taking a few times to get it perfect.? I had the bumper sprayed on a previous Carrera I owned, and when I was talking to the owner about how anal I was about my cars, he pointed out how the factory paint on the bumper wasn't a perfect match (I hadn't noticed it until then) and that his paint guy (been with him for 15 years) would get a near perfect match--which they did!
[snapback]108744[/snapback]

You're absolutely right about having to "tweek" the paint to get it to match better. Both the body shop that painted my trunk lid spoiler and the one that painted the M-Kit said that the Glasurit paint for my car was too "yellowish", even when using the clear coat that is supposed to make it less yellow. So they both tried to mix some other colors in order to make it match better. I gave them both my US front license plate mount as a color sample so that they can use it to match better. The second body shop did a much better job and got it pretty close, but still not 100% there. However, it is close enough for me to be satisfied. The trunk lid spoiler, which was painted by the first body shop is much more off ( a lot of yellow in it), so I am planning on having it repainted when (IF) I am able to get the M5 trunk piece. That way they can be painted at the same time.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Contributors

I posted some pictures that I took when I was installing the M-Kit. I would not consider it DIY instructions, but I decided to post it in the DIY section anyways. Click on the following link to ge there:

>>>>>>>Click Here<<<<<<<
Old 05-27-2007, 05:44 AM
Members

Hi, I have a question about the Active Cruise Control radar,
Do you know where it should be put in the M5 front bumper? and if you have some pic.

Thank you
Old 05-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

wow, this thread is over 2 years old.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by FANTASTIC 5' post='428874' date='May 27 2007, 10:52 PM
wow, this thread is over 2 years old.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

Wow talk about Grave diggin!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Sport & Premium package with bluetooth, 6 disk cd-Changer, stock 18's dunlop wrapped, leather, adaptive headlights, CPO, See my gallery :DR.I.P...Stock Silver 2004 530i with grey interior, HID,
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54

im resurrecting this post so that people can see how thing M-tech kit looks... and what to expect.

cool thing is that this is also my car's color so i see an actual representation

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53497 join the group! we need 4 more people and we all get our kits for very cheap!

orlee
Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550I. M-Technic Body Kit 2008 M5 Deck Lid Finisher 21" 3-piece MHT Forged Pirelli PZero Nero Tires

VERY GOOD PICS AND NICE CAR. NOT THAT I AM CRITICIZING OR ANYTHING BUT THE COLOR IS SLIGHTLY OFF YOU SHOULD TAKE IT TO THE PAINTED/INSTALLER AND ASK THEM TO TINT THE COLOR A LITTLE BETTER. SHOW THEM THE PICTURE OF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CAR WHERE YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE WHERE THE REAR BUMPER MEETS WITH THE LEFT QUARTER PANE AND IN THAT SHOT THE COLOR DIFFERENCE IS THE MOST NOTICABLE. I AM IN THE BODYSHOP BUSINESS AND THESE THINGS STAND OUT TO ME JUST LOOKING OUT FOR A FELLOW MEMBER.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Cnogueiras' post='570256' date='Apr 28 2008, 03:13 PM
VERY GOOD PICS AND NICE CAR. NOT THAT I AM CRITICIZING OR ANYTHING BUT THE COLOR IS SLIGHTLY OFF YOU SHOULD TAKE IT TO THE PAINTED/INSTALLER AND ASK THEM TO TINT THE COLOR A LITTLE BETTER. SHOW THEM THE PICTURE OF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CAR WHERE YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE WHERE THE REAR BUMPER MEETS WITH THE LEFT QUARTER PANE AND IN THAT SHOT THE COLOR DIFFERENCE IS THE MOST NOTICABLE. I AM IN THE BODYSHOP BUSINESS AND THESE THINGS STAND OUT TO ME JUST LOOKING OUT FOR A FELLOW MEMBER.
Good thing it was dark when you saw it after the Boiling Crab meet Christian

The rear bumper has been re-painted since then by another body shop because someone decided to scrape the paint off the side of the bumper with their bumper. To be honest I haven't even paid attention to see if it matches any better now....the car has been dirty most of the time since I installed the bumper after the new paint.

I did not leave the car at the body shop when the kit was painted, so they didn't have the car there to match to. I did give them my license plate holder as a sample, but I think even that (which is factory painted) is slightly different than the metal parts of the car.

When I visited the BMW VDC at Oxnard a few years ago the M-Kit was not factory installed on US cars and had to be painted/installed at the VDC before delivery to the dealers. I noticed that other Titanium Gray II E60's there with the VDC painted M-Aero Kits also had the same problem where the TG II on the bumpers looking a bit different than the rest of the car. I asked the head of the body shop about it and he said that they were having that problem with TG II in specific and even though they normally pre-paint all M-Kits prior to the car's arrival at port so that it would be ready to install, they had stopped doing so with TG II. They would only paint TG II M-kits when the car got there so that they could match the paint better.