E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008 | 04:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='558294' date='Apr 8 2008, 10:01 PM
I was told it was better to install the SSTT from the bottom on the 535i and that it was more difficult than the 335i. Thinking JB1 might be a more practical solution.
You're right it would be easier. Although, I've had the JB1 installed also and, even though the SSTT is a little harder to install on a 535i than it is on a 335i, the installation was still quicker than the JB1. And you don't have to break into the computer and count wires, etc.
Old 04-09-2008 | 06:52 PM
Members

Originally Posted by arcticT' post='558813' date='Apr 9 2008, 05:13 PM
You're right it would be easier. Although, I've had the JB1 installed also and, even though the SSTT is a little harder to install on a 535i than it is on a 335i, the installation was still quicker than the JB1. And you don't have to break into the computer and count wires, etc.
Can you tell us how and where you attach the SSTT on the 535i? Are you running 91 or 93 octane fuel?
Old 04-09-2008 | 08:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='558868' date='Apr 9 2008, 09:52 PM
Can you tell us how and where you attach the SSTT on the 535i? Are you running 91 or 93 octane fuel?
Im running 91 with no problems and still a noticable increase in power. It's actually hard to explain with out pointing to it in person. It plugs into the TMAP sensor which is between the drivers side shock tower and the motor, but closer to the motor. It is underneath some flex tubing. On the sensor there is (obviously) a female end and a male end. After you disconnect the sensor, the male end of the sensor plugs into the female end of the SSTT. Then the male end of the SSTT plugs into the female side of the sensor. That part is easy. The hard part is just getting to the TMAP sensor.
Old 04-10-2008 | 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by arcticT' post='558894' date='Apr 10 2008, 12:02 AM
Im running 91 with no problems and still a noticable increase in power. It's actually hard to explain with out pointing to it in person. It plugs into the TMAP sensor which is between the drivers side shock tower and the motor, but closer to the motor. It is underneath some flex tubing. On the sensor there is (obviously) a female end and a male end. After you disconnect the sensor, the male end of the sensor plugs into the female end of the SSTT. Then the male end of the SSTT plugs into the female side of the sensor. That part is easy. The hard part is just getting to the TMAP sensor.
So are we saying that the TMAP sensor is the same one from the "charge air duct" instructions I posted above?
Old 04-10-2008 | 05:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Just make sure your x35's have the oil cooler installed or there might be some real problems with engine over-heating. The twin turbos without the oil coolers are seeing alot of problems is what Roundel reports. Awesome upgrade though- I wish I could get similar for mine!
Old 04-11-2008 | 02:31 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='559034' date='Apr 10 2008, 08:14 AM
So are we saying that the TMAP sensor is the same one from the "charge air duct" instructions I posted above?
Thats right. The one on top of the intake manifold is the IAT sensor. The one from the "charge air duct" is the TMAP sensor.
Old 04-14-2008 | 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

I just got my SSTT from r1racer today. I have the SB as well and the combination is sick! I didn't expect it to fly like it does with the SSTT. It was a bit of a pain to install and will be more of a pain to take on and off when bringing it in for service but I'm sure it'll be easier now that I know what I'm doing. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, though!
Old 04-14-2008 | 03:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by DynaSpy' post='561439' date='Apr 14 2008, 04:54 PM
I just got my SSTT from r1racer today. I have the SB as well and the combination is sick! I didn't expect it to fly like it does with the SSTT. It was a bit of a pain to install and will be more of a pain to take on and off when bringing it in for service but I'm sure it'll be easier now that I know what I'm doing. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade, though!

How'd you do the install? Did you go from the top or bottom? And did you remove the air filter box at all?

I tried installing it from the top of the engine, didn't remove the air filter box, and ended up bending some of the flex tubing. I need to chill on my deca/dbol stack.
Old 04-14-2008 | 04:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Cadillac XLR // Silver with Black Interior 2002 Lincoln LS // Silver with Grey Interior [En Route] 2008 Black Sapphire Metallic 535xi // Black Nasca Leather // 18" Star Spoke Wheels // Sport, Premium & Cold Pkg // Bamboo Anthracite Trim & Headliner // Comfort Access // Head-up Display // Navigation // Logic 7 // HD Radio // Ipod // Sunshades

Originally Posted by owwo' post='561479' date='Apr 14 2008, 07:14 PM
How'd you do the install? Did you go from the top or bottom? And did you remove the air filter box at all?

I tried installing it from the top of the engine, didn't remove the air filter box, and ended up bending some of the flex tubing. I need to chill on my deca/dbol stack.
I went in on top and I did remove the air filter. I also removed some pipe that was just held in place by a plastic clip. I have no idea what it was but it let me get my right arm in to pry the clip open while I yanked the plug out with my left hand.
Old 04-23-2008 | 05:19 PM
Members

I made my first attempt tonight and failed as it was very difficult to get the clip open with one hand. I will have to go in with a screwdriver tomorrow and see if I can get it that way. Not as easy to install as I was hoping but it should be doable with the right tools.

I assume the sstt just kind of hangs there correct?

Quick Reply: Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?