E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Performance Software for 535i Sport-Cobb, Dinan Stage 2 or JB4?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Hey Guys!

My car is really coming along on the exterior modifications front.(Pics to come shortly). I'm now contemplating making her faster.

I've scoured the web looking for reviews of the various performance software upgrades including the Cobb Access Port, the Dinan Stage 2 and Burger's JB4.(I know ESS also makes a tune as well) There is apparently very little information or reviews when it comes to the 535i Sport. Lots of data and opinions relevant to the 335i but not much on the 535i.

What can folks here share? (And yes I've searched the forums already).

It *SEEMS* the Cobb Access Port is the best way to go due to the plug and play nature and also the cost. ($800 or so). But the JB4 is cheaper and there are many claims it wrangles even more HP and TRQ from a completely stock power plant than the Cobb. Thoughts? The Dinan Stage 2 is way expensive($1750) and you need to purchase an oil cooler to see the full benefit.

I'd like to know from you guys what's most important to do to take advantage of a performance software upgrade? I'm not seeing any benefit to a new exhaust. The Downpipes look to be way too much of a hassle.
What about an Oil Cooler? RPI Scoops? A new Intake? Anything I'm missing?

If recommending an Oil Cooler or an Intake, what brands?

Lastly with any of these tunes, what kind of expected performance increase can you see/feel on normal street driving?

I feel like my stock 535i can beat most sedans already from a stop light. Especially as I've learned the trq curve and maximized it's release shifting with the Step. How much more "but torque/power" will I feel from a stop versus a rolling launch with these tunes?

I appreciate any and all intel. You guys are the best!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's not much benefit to the Dinan over the others other than piece of mind. With Dinan you get the coverage of your standard warranty or 2 yaers.. whichever is longest. If you don't think anything will go wrong or aren't worried about it -- then skip the Dinan. AFAIK you don't need to upgrade the oil cooler and Dinan doesn't try to/recommend you to do so.

Then I think your spot on with your comparison of Cobb Stage 1 vs JB4. I don't know how the maps on JB4 that don't require bolt-ons compare to Cobb Stage 1. WIth that said I don't know how the JB4 bolt-on required maps compare to the Cobb Stage 2 (which requires bolt-ons). It's surely easier to add/remove though (Cobb) but costs more.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by crypto
There's not much benefit to the Dinan over the others other than piece of mind. With Dinan you get the coverage of your standard warranty or 2 yaers.. whichever is longest. If you don't think anything will go wrong or aren't worried about it -- then skip the Dinan. AFAIK you don't need to upgrade the oil cooler and Dinan doesn't try to/recommend you to do so.

I thought Dinan stated you had to upgrade Oil Cooler for Stage 2?

Then I think your spot on with your comparison of Cobb Stage 1 vs JB4. I don't know how the maps on JB4 that don't require bolt-ons compare to Cobb Stage 1. WIth that said I don't know how the JB4 bolt-on required maps compare to the Cobb Stage 2 (which requires bolt-ons). It's surely easier to add/remove though (Cobb) but costs more.
Thanks for your reply brother. I didn't realize Stage 2 with Cobb required Bolt Ons? But looking at it, hell yes it does. Down pipes and High Flow Cat Exhaust. So for now just want to upgrade Intake first for a Stage 1+(26% increase in HP and 33% TRQ). Should I just replace the filter or actually get a better intake? Definitely don't want to get any "non-enclosed" hot air intakes out there.

Recommendations on an intake from the peanut gallery?
Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

I have cobb on my 535i sport. Worth every penny!
Old 02-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shydee
I have cobb on my 535i sport. Worth every penny!
Wow. Awesome. Please share your thoughts on why? What maps do you drive around with?
Did you install any other bolt on modifications? Intake, down pipes, exhaust?

Appreciate your insights.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

What about the Vishnu PROcede That is in my car I love it. Not one problem!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

I had only had it for couple of months but it really bring te car alive!
I run it on stage 1 agressive mode on oct 93 with meisterschaft gt exhaust.
Lots of people also run procede. U should also look into that.