E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Passenger restraint reset using INPA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

On Saturday, I got the dreaded/random passenger restraint error, and I've been hoping it would go away on its own. Unfortunately, it has not. I have looked through INPA to see where I might be able to reset/clear the error, unfortunately, I have no luck finding where it's suppose to be.

Anyone that has done this can share the steps necessary to reset/clear this error?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

It should locate under the safety modules or something similar. I don't remember the correct phrase. It can be under seat modules too though.
However, you should be able to clear ALL error codes under the first title.

If it doesn't go away, try charging your battery. I get the passenger restraint system error occasionally, and when reading it with INPA, it always is the module in the right B-pillar. And it always goes off after I have trickle charged by battery overnight.

- Antti -
Old 02-08-2011, 09:39 PM
Contributors

Antti, when you have a moment, can you take a look and tell me what I am suppose to be looking for? I looked everywhere in safety module -> passenger side, and when I read for error, it says all clear, no error.

And yes, I suspect my battery might be going out as well =/
Old 02-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Hmmmm...I started getting the error (intermittently) about 2 months ago. According to the stamp on my battery it's 5 years and 4 months old. Seems to start the car fine though.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Contributors

I bought the CTEK automatic trickle charger and it is great to keep the battery in shape!

nomis_nehc; Sure I can check it, might take a while though. I try to do it tonight.. It's 9:40am here now and I'm at work.

- Antti -
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Contributors

Sure thing Antti, if you could get around to it at night, that'll be great. It's 12:17 AM now and I am going to bed!
Old 02-09-2011, 12:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

balbs, from my experience low battery voltage triggers the passenger restraint error and also may trigger other strange idrive errors. With INPA......install your own battery, do the battery registration and reset the error. Will keep your pockets heavier
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Contributors

RootKit, any recommendation for battery? I guess this has to be done, but in the meantime, before I can get a new battery, I just want the stupid two red icons to be gone in my cluster.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Ok lets see it now...

I think the "Passenger restraint system error" may be produce because of an error "locating" in one of the few different modules in a car. I really don't know, which modules are connected to the passenger restraint system, but I would check these first, and if no luck with them, then I would try to read the error memory from every damn module in a car lol!

- Seat modules --> Seat module passenger (new)
- Safety modules --> Door Electronics - Satellite front right
- Safety modules --> Satellite B pillar right

If you can't find it from these, then just keep checking everything else. However, you should be able to read and clear the error memory (all modules) via
- Select E60 v1.xx --> Functional jobs

Reading the error memory in Functional jobs doesn't give a plain explanation about in what specific module the errors locate, and neither it tells the full explanation of the code, just a number/letter combination. Anyhow, you should be able to clear the whole error memory there.

If your error is caused because of a bad battery, it may be that it is produced again right after the clearing --> charge the battery or buy the new one.
I use Exide Premium EA1000 battery now.

I hope this helps.

- Antti -
Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nomis_nehc, BMW batteries are made my Exide (printed on battery I bought about half a year ago). It may be made by other manufacture depending on what countries? I heard some members here were using Autozone battery but fitment is a bit smaller. I remember looking into Battery Plus and the autowerks size seems to fit or fairly close to it.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/107...y-replacement/

I don't think you can go wrong with the Exide battery Antti posted...hopefully easy to find those around here in CA.

And don't even bother checking that stupid BMW battery LED status light green-black etc. My battery was dead when it was green.

Quick Reply: Passenger restraint reset using INPA?