E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Orions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

You may say what you want about Umnitza, but Orions sure are great. You get the feeling of how special they are as soon as you turn them on; you see their reflections in the glass facades that line the streets you drive, you notice the passerby looks (I won't say stares), you see their outlines in the cars you follow in traffic. Some people obsess about them so much - they spend hours and days driving around, just to make sure they test out the product thoroughly, and then post their reviews on the forums... this is not that kind of thread.

This is not going to be a DIY either, because - and I'm being totally frank here - I pussied out. Yes, I did. Don't get me wrong - I've baked a few headlights in my life and I'm not a total stranger around power tools, like Dremel. It's just that I believe that when you really want to do a clean quality job, you need specific experience - and specific experience I was lacking was that of installing Orions. I had ordered the Orions from Umnitza a while back, but they were just collecting dust, as I wouldn't even think of doing this alone. Then my clutch and flywheel went and my car was going to be in the shop for a whole week... SEPARATION ANXIETIES!!! But it gave me the chance I needed to get the Orions installed by the Pros.

I asked Dan and Ken (aka DKNewYork) "Can you put in Orions and euro overlays in the time my car will be at the shop?" They said "yes!" and it was on: they picked up my headlights from the shop and took them out to their secret lab. We stayed in touch throughout the week, me - asking bunch of dumb questions, them - pic-messaging the progress and updating me on the ssup's and whatnots. They managed to finish the project the day before I was supposed to pick up the E60 from the shop, D&K swung by to drop off the headlights by my house. I took the headlights to MNC, where Martin installed them for me for no extra charge

Dan and Ken offered to do the eyebrow, but in my case, I decided to keep it stock. I didn't opt for a blacked out headlight and I didn't do anything custom. Can't beat that "looks like it came from the factory" look. To each - his own. But I digress, here's what it's all about, really - the butaforie.

This is from the first few pics I took after the install, before a wash.
The Orions-orions-01.png

Not all was smooth, after the first wash, the left headlight started to collect loads of condensation, so I put in a text to the Twins. DK came through same day and swapped out the heads for theirs - here's proof:
The Orions-orions-02.png

Their blacked out lights look great on my car (wish I could buy them and keep them as spare ). Couple of days later, we met up and Dan and Ken re-installed our respective headlights back on our cars. Here they are, hard at work (I was obviously putting in the overtime with my iPhone cam ):
The Orions-orions-03.png

DK's M5 in the process of reuniting with its headlights
The Orions-orions-04.png

It took Danny and Kenny literally 10 minutes to reinstall the headlights!
The Orions-orions-05.png

The Orions-orions-06.png

Few more minutes later, everything looked like nothing ever happened
The Orions-orions-07.png

our cars with Orions ON in direct Noon Sunshine
The Orions-orions-08.png

now everywhere I go I geek out and take snapshots of the headlights
The Orions-orions-09.png

In conclusion I have to give it up to Danny and Kenny for an awesome job, great deal and incredible customer experience! I ended up being glad I had condensation, because it proved to me unequivocally that they will stand by their work and take care of their customers - no questions asked. When you are having something done of this magnitude, it's important to deal with the right people. Best wishes to you, DK!

Orion Angel Eyes

Everything else - as Quentin Tarantino once eloquently put - is piss!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Members

Hands down, one of the most classy rides on the forum Headlights look great!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experience and pics. Looks amazing! Working on getting Orions myself, but don't want to mess up with my stock headlights so close to getting an extra set (fingers crossed). Very exited to get these installed. Glad to read about the great customer experience you had with them. Top notch.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Contributors

It's good to have an extra set if you're DIY'ing, just so that your car doesn't sit without headlights while you're waiting for them to cure.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Nice!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by iamnatio
Thanks for sharing your experience and pics. Looks amazing! Working on getting Orions myself, but don't want to mess up with my stock headlights so close to getting an extra set (fingers crossed). Very exited to get these installed. Glad to read about the great customer experience you had with them. Top notch.
Damn, I kind of don't get this logic, lol. I can finish the headlight install the same day, so it would be cheaper to pay me plus overnight shipping instead of getting new set of headlights!

Just coming back from my vacay, I had a forum member come out to me on Sunday to do the install. I started a bit after 10AM and had him out at 6:30PM, probably could've been a little earlier if I didn't had to run to the store to pick up some stuff.

Once again, congrats on joining the club V, you waited too long!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Damn, I kind of don't get this logic, lol. I can finish the headlight install the same day, so it would be cheaper to pay me plus overnight shipping instead of getting new set of headlights!

Just coming back from my vacay, I had a forum member come out to me on Sunday to do the install. I started a bit after 10AM and had him out at 6:30PM, probably could've been a little earlier if I didn't had to run to the store to pick up some stuff.

That's exactly what I'm talking about - experience! In my case, heads had to cure/dry and all, so it took a few days. How do you do it so it is finished in a day - I don't know You are a magician, Simon! I am just thankful that you've influenced this forum enough to get people around here to start doing it. And of course, super thankful to DKNewYork! Love the Orions!!!

PS Simon, that was a good point you made to Umnitza in my other thread about the pics! Didn't wanna revive that thread, bc this one is supposed to supersede it
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM
Contributors

Anytime Vlad.

These look good on your car Vlad BTW.

The Orions-dsc_1398.jpg

The Orions-dsc_1402.jpg

But these look good on your ride.

The Orions-dsc_1424.jpg

The Orions-dsc_1432.jpg
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

awesome! this makes me want to do the orions too ... and great write up man your cars lookin sexy

sidenote: I learned a fun new fact, I had no idea DK is really two people.. right?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

Yes, I'm here to testify that Simon worked on my car Sunday from 10am-6:30pm. Simon's attention to detail is exceptional, hell he would not let me leave until the headlamps were properly SEALED. Anyone/everyone making the upgrade to Orions, Simon is THE MAN to get the job done right the first time, all within a day, and at a reasonable price?.. Thanks Simon.

Quick Reply: The Orions