E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Orion v4s

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didnt do a search on how to install orions but do u have to cut open the headlight assembly? With a saw or something?
Old 08-24-2012, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Orion v4s-so_much_win_re_memebase_22-s517x600-167010.png
Old 08-24-2012, 05:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Looks great! How was the install? I'm assuming it involves opening up the headlights?
Old 08-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Lol at people not doing basic searches, but yes, you have to cut the headlights open and yes, the fins light up.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535i
Model Year: 09

I have v2s on my car
I cant really tell the difference from the picture.
How does it differ in real life??
Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM
Members

That is sick Simon.

Just add the little red light to the front & call it KIT already.

Nicely done.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by b00sted415
That last picture is my favorite! Impressive for it being early morning.
Haha, yah, it's a great pic. The only way it could've been better is if I had turned the wheels!

Originally Posted by SDiE60
Man those are bright! That's crazy! I'm sold.
Orions v2 are that bright as well. Honestly, it's really just difficult to capture the look effectively on camera. I will put my thoughts on v2 and v4s below.

Originally Posted by mo858
looks great simon!
Thanks Mike!

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
I agree. They look like they are radioactive in that picture.
Haha, awesome! I am definitely noticing people staring quite a lot. Maybe it's a combination of v4 and lit fins! I love how an Audi driver just stared yesterday at a light.

Originally Posted by iamnatio
Awesome shots! v4 is looking really awesome. Thanks for sharing.
Yah, I just had to do it. I wasn't excited about reopening my headlights for the 6th time (driver side, and 5th for passenger). But it had to be done!
Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Oe_tuning
Very nice !!!
Thanks, I like too

Originally Posted by Beemster530i
Didnt do a search on how to install orions but do u have to cut open the headlight assembly? With a saw or something?
Haha.

Originally Posted by pradden
I love this picture!

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Looks great! How was the install? I'm assuming it involves opening up the headlights?
See below.

Originally Posted by ETNav382
Lol at people not doing basic searches, but yes, you have to cut the headlights open and yes, the fins light up.
Thank you sir. I am really surprised that besides the new people, guys that have been around are still oblivious to how Orions are installed
Old 08-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Shydee
I have v2s on my car
I cant really tell the difference from the picture.
How does it differ in real life??
Yeah, I know where you're coming from.

Here are my personal points to difference between v2 and v4.

1. v2's visible gap is no longer perceptible, they have been filled with a LED, effectively doubling the LEDs.

2. v4's color temperature is approximately 5000K to me, whereas v2 is closer to 6000-7000K. This is probably not due to the specs of LEDs but how the current is controlled by the white boxes and likely the ring diffuser plays an effect as well.

3. Light bleed. I personally think that v4's rings does a better job of containing light within the ring. v2 for whatever reason appears to bleed with more intensity. This is obviously my subjective observation. I didn't exactly spend much time comparing the two side by side.

4. White control box. This is the first time I have the white control box with the night dimmer. I have installed it for other people in the past, but I am not sure if it is the same exact part as the previous night dimmers. I believe Umnitza specs it as dimming to 70% of brightness, but in my own testing by current draw, it's more like 60%. But here's the interesting thing, it was hardly perceptible to me, lol. It may have been that I had been testing it on/off so much that I was simply blinding my eyes, or I wasn't standing far enough to really see much difference.

5. White control box again. I am not sure how this translates to people with LM2, but the people I have done the hard wiring for welcome light and DRL will be in for a treat with these white control box. Without taking the box apart, I am not sure what exactly is happening, but I believe the driver has a PWM delay command or something similar. Now, when I unlock, there is a half a second delay before the Orions fade on. This actually looks extremely awesome with my set up, because when I unlock, my fins and white eyebrows immediately come on, and then half a second later, the angel eyes come on. I will make a video of this later.

6. The v4's 8x ring. This is a little bit of a bummer, but I can live with. In v2's, the 8x rings do not have an "anomaly" gap (can be seen in the pic below). In v4's, because the number of LEDs are doubled, and due to spacing, this was unavoidable. The LEDs are running in parallel, with 3 SMDs, so this is a slight trade off.

Now here are two pictures that I tried to capture to show the difference. The first picture is basically how 95% of camera and pictures would capture the v2s. It basically would look like that from 10-15 feet out or so. The second picture, the setting has been changed, and manually told to filter out and capture only light, which is a close representation of how v2 and v4s look like up close. (obviously disregard the coloring in these two pics, capturing the color was not the intent for these pics)

Name:  vmfVg.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  302.9 KB

Name:  i7qwl.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  352.9 KB
Originally Posted by Maddog-99
That is sick Simon.

Just add the little red light to the front & call it KIT already.

Nicely done.
Haha, I don't want it to talk! Last thing I need is a nagging car-puter!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:36 AM
Contributors

In summation, v4s are awesome, but v2s are bomb too.

For people that has v2s, unless you absolutely need to get the best, then you should spring for v4 -- while Umnitza still has stock of it.

Otherwise, v2s are going to easily satisfy most people out there (plus lower price too )

Quick Reply: Orion v4s