E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Orion v 2 Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

My Birthday is coming up and I just noticed one of my AE's went dark just today boy o boy, what should I do?!

Long story short, I want to get Orions for the car for my BDay (my little gift to her ), but my only concern is: has there ever been any issues with them? Particularly the kind of issues that require re-opening the hl after the install etc etc. LEDs burning out? Any problems at all? I know a few people on this forum have extensive experience with them, so I'd really appreciate any info that pertains to Orion V2's reliability and such.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I have not had any problems with mine, the hardest part is just installing them. They look awesome and really turn heads.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Contributors

yeah, I wanna bring some real 21st century up in this biatch the old-school orbs gotta go

I just wanna say - to everyone who reads this - I've never really read/heard anything bad about Orion V2's, except the complicated installation thing. The reason I started this thread is actually because after having been following Orions on the forums for a while, I've yet to read one negative comment/review.

Anyway, Phil, you DIY'd it, right? How long did it take you?
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

It took me a long time to do it, lol...
Like the entire weekend. I used a soldering iron to do it, but there are probably better methods now.
Heres a vid how they look

Old 09-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Phil this looks AMAZING! Did you do the eyebrow too?

Your car looks sweet!
Old 09-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

V, I've had no problems with it since. Its freaking great. lol.

And yes, you can do it yourself!

It takes me a few hours to full take apart and wire up and fit it in correctly. Also taking out the amber corner and then sealing. After sealing, it takes a full 24 hours to let the sealant dry.

If you want to do it yourself, get the Multimax Dremel tool. That is the tool you will need to take apart the headlight. There are other items, but let me know and I can tell you what to use.

Btw... I charge $250 for the labor if you want me to do it...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Im using my birthday as an excuse to get them as well .

Do you plan on getting the original single colored ones or the multicolored ones. I really don't care for the X-mas color effect, but after reading some posts by Simon out in Socal, he mentioned that there were some positives that he noticed from them such as being able to program them to fade on upon start up. They're 100 bucks more tho. I figure I'll go the extra mile so I don't do the "what if" later.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

I don't know about those multi-colored ones - honestly, I want the car to look like it came like this from the factory, so multi-colored LEDs probably would not pass for OEM for sure haha

On the other hand, you're right about the "what if"... but no, if it wasn't 100 bucks extra, I'd maybe think about it seriously.

Mike! Thanks for the pointers - you've told me a lot about these things already. So, you include the eyebrows with that or what?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by v_therussian
yeah, I wanna bring some real 21st century up in this biatch the old-school orbs gotta go
Hahaha, when I read that, I totally lol'ed. Old-school orbs! We should start calling it that, lol.

Originally Posted by devildawg712
Im using my birthday as an excuse to get them as well .

Do you plan on getting the original single colored ones or the multicolored ones. I really don't care for the X-mas color effect, but after reading some posts by Simon out in Socal, he mentioned that there were some positives that he noticed from them such as being able to program them to fade on upon start up.
Perhaps a clarification. The original Orion v2's can be wire to do fade on as well, but the fade on for the multi-colored is different in that you can set it to fade on one color (say blue or red), and when you start the car, it'll transition (uber smooth I might add) into white. It's really freaking sexy to witness actually.

V, if you are unsure, or don't have the tools, I would just have Mike do it. He's got all the tools and what not already, and would save you the headache of potentially screwing it up, lol.

As for the original post, I have nothing but good things to say about the Orions as well. Funny, I actually just saw a F10 with its white AE's, and I definitely like the Orions more. Probably because the light is transferred by fiber optics, but it's nowhere as even from all angles as the Orions.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

No more eyebrow mods. I stopped mainly due to the headache. I never had a problem on my headlights with the eyebrows but others have. I would love to do it but too much headache now. So that's just for orions and euro style corner.

Thanks for the little push to V simon. Heh

Quick Reply: Orion v 2 Angel Eyes