E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Oregon Introduces Bill to Prohibit Sale of Aftermarket Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515

At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that ?decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.? The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.

We Urge You to Contact Oregon Speaker of the House Dave Hunt and Members of the Environment and Water Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2186

* H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.

* H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.

* H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.

* H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.

* H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='788179' date='Feb 8 2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62515

At the request of Governor Theodore Kulongoski, the Oregon Speaker of the House has introduced legislation (H.B. 2186) to prohibit the sale and distribution of aftermarket motor vehicle parts if alternatives are available that ?decrease greenhouse gas emissions from motor vehicles.? The bill is primarily focused on aftermarket tires and would authorize the Environmental Quality Commission to implement enforcement regulations, likely based on a rolling resistance calculation.

We Urge You to Contact Oregon Speaker of the House Dave Hunt and Members of the Environment and Water Committee (Contact Information Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 2186

* H.B. 2186 would regulate vehicle fuel economy, an authority reserved to the federal government.

* H.B. 2186 could ban tires that may have improved performance, handling or appearance features, based solely on a rolling resistance rating. In addition, this program could easily distract consumers from focusing on more important safety issues such as tire inflation and overloading of vehicles.

* H.B. 2186 would force consumers to purchase only original equipment manufacturer (OEM) tires because the program essentially exempts OEM-selected tires and unfairly implies that they are superior to aftermarket products.

* H.B. 2186 could prohibit aftermarket parts designed to either personalize or optimize specific vehicle performance attributes including handling, towing, suspension, fuel economy, etc.

* H.B. 2186 provides broad authority to government regulators and could limit a range of aftermarket parts currently available to consumers based on the subjective determination of government regulators.

Ive been to court with Subaru of America over enforcing things like this. My fathers company never lost so im surprised to see it passed. I smell US Supreme court to over rule such a stupid thing.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

wow so environment comes first than the safety? If i have to roll with continental with my stock 17 inch, i probably will die... that is the stupidest and the most non scientifically supported bill... i guess he totally forgot about some stock tires will run down quickly which means new set of tires, which also means more rubber to be used...

because of those kind of people, they cannot improve. I guess we have to put OEM fuels...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Idiotic government at its best...... stupid to think they can decide what does and does not
go on my car. If BMW thinks aftermarket M-Tech parts are good, it's good for me.

Why don't think do something more useful .... i don't know.... like

SPEND EFFORT INTO IMPROVING THE ECONOMY!!!!!
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I'll give you three guesses as to whether Governor Theodore Kulongoski has a D or an R behind his name.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 jet black 530I, M-tech body kit, ac shnitzer roof and trunk spoiler. kelleners sport exhaust and pully kit on its way from germany.

I hope California doesn't try to follow.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Contributors

will never go into effect long term as it promotes monopolies for dealers and limits small business
Old 02-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

F**k that guy and his law lets petition this
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

wow thats stupid, doubt it would pass though... would it? lol Its U.S.A. I guess anythings possible
Old 02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

wow thats stupid, doubt it would pass though... would it? lol Its U.S.A. I guess anythings possible

Quick Reply: Oregon Introduces Bill to Prohibit Sale of Aftermarket Parts