E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Old Rims/Tires New Rims/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005, E61 525i Touring, Black Sapphire Metallic, Dakota Leather, Steptronic Automatic, Pneumatic Self Leveling Rear Suspension, Panorama Glass Roof, PDC (Parking Distance Control front & Back), Navigation, HDTV, Bluetooth Voice Control, RunFlats, Electronically Retractable Side Mirrors, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Autodim Rearview

I am about to purchase a used MY2004 530 and I was thinking of replacing the standard tire rims with low profile tires and bigger rims (not sure which ones yet). What do you guys do with the original Rims/tires? Do you save them and then put them back ont he car when you sell it again and use the new rims/tires you bought on your next Bimmer?

I didn't think I could sell my used rims/tires because no one wants scratched RIMs and slightly worn tires. It would get such a bad price. Plus what do you think about this, the next guy that wants to purchase my 530 when I turn around and sell it in about 2 years will take one look at the low profile tires and big rims and not want to purchase my car as it is looks pretty obvious I like to drive fast and he would be afraid that my 530 is ragged out and would prefer to purchase someone elses standard 530???

Any help would be appreciated, I have never changed the rims and tires on any car I purchased and I thought I would just have to wait until I purchase a new car to have special tires as I am too cheap to just throw away the tires and Rims. In Taiwan it is hard to get rid of used things, they only like new, unless it is a used BMW or Benz.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, Jet Black/Black, Manual, Sport, Logic 7

One option is to get OEM or replica rims in 18" or 19". This would retain the factory look when you're ready to sell the car. If you have room to store the originals, though, I would hold on to them.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, hobart ! i agree with stevehi, hold on to them. before you sell your car in two years, put the oem back on and save the bigger rims for your next car or sell them. you don't have to worry about the look of your e60 and people tend to buy used aftermarket rims more than oem rims .
Old 08-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Members

Sell them. Most wheel places will buy your stock tires and rims for about %50 value, and you can credit it against your new purchase. It'll save you the hassle of storing a set of tires and wheels for several years, plus stored wheels have an unfortunate tendancy to rust.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

What I did was buy BBS RS-GT 19" rims and Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires for my 545. The difference was astounding, and I saved 56 lbs in unsprung weight from the OEM runflat setup.

I sold the runflats, and used the 18" OEM wheels for winter tires (Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season tires).

Now that I'm getting my M5, I'll sell the 545 with the OEM wheels and the all-season tires. I'll also sell the Goodyear tires with the car if the buyer wants them. Then I'll use the BBS wheels on my M5.

Especially if you've scratched your OEM wheels, I'd use them for winter tires if you have the need. Definitely upgrade to lightweight 19" wheels - you can really feel the difference!