E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM Style 128 or Style 166, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport LCI Tails w/ V6 Cables MTEC 2.1 AE's 6K HID Xenon 6K HID Fogs HID Reverse Kit Front LED Turn signals LED Sidemarkers Eugene Eyebrow Mod Ricky's Brake effect Mod Fade on/off AE's and LCI Rods M5 cluster mod Interior/Trunk LED's License Plate LED's All Lighting parts thanks to John (Brabusw209amg)! All mods done by Simon (nomis_nehc) and Jorge (GS) LCI tails thanks to double s! V6 cables thanks to Bruce!

Hey guys, so after starting another thread asking about where to buy rims and get info and what not, I finally have made a decision to buy either BMW OEM Style 128 or Style 166 rims. I was debating first on whether to get 18 inch or 19 inch Miro 942's, but then decided to go 19 inch OEM. And the 19 inch setup looks like it would fit my car seamlessly!

Many thanks to everyone who helped me out with pricing and information, especially Nerwyll (trinity), Gerry (bavarianx), Chris (bimmerfamily2010), and Garry (BMW Newport). I appreciate all of the help fellas! These guys were very helpful and extremely patient during this whole process.

So on to some questions I have a 2005 545i Sport, and for tire sizes I was thinking 245/35/19 F, 275/30/19 R, which I believe is the generally agreed upon size for these wheels for my model.

Next, would any of these rims need rings, spacers, etc to fit my model (I dont know if they come with them from the factory or not). And if I need spacers what is the recommended set up? I believe the 166's come in different offsets (M5 or M6 setup), so what offset would be best?

Also, if anyone had or has these rims with tires, what setup did you use? And did you experience any rubbing? Also, how was the ride compared to the 18 inch setup?

Thanks to everyone who responds!! And sorry for all the questions!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

i vote 128s

:l

just cause i love that damn wheel design

simple, sporty... classic

spacers will not be needed for either of these... unless of course u want a more flush look... i dont know the proper offsets and spacers needed but im sure someone here does

ive had both 166m and 128s (20" rep & 21" oem) on my car

on all of these sets i had 285/30 on the rear and have played with 295/25 a bit aswell (really tiny)

for the fronts on the 166m's i had both 245/35 and 245/30... i preferred 245/30 cause it just looked better

none of these will cause any rubbing, of course this is all without spacers
Old 10-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The M166 with the standard tyres (you listed above) with the M6 offsets is a simple plug and play; it'll sit just right and no need for spacers.
I have the 128s on my car for winter and use 15mm spacers at the back. IMHO spacers are a must for the rear, but others seem to be very happy without them. This winter I will also use 5mm spacers up front, just to get them sitting right, like the rears (In my galleries you can see pictures of my 550i with 128s+spacers and my previous 525d with 128s and no spacers.)

A 285 instead of 275 should be fine with both and will give it a wider look.

As for which rim, I have had both (again, see me galleries) and it comes down what look you want and also how often you need to clean them! The 128s are sooo easy to clean, which is important in winter They also really stand out and probably have more of a wow effect, whereas the M166 is a more understated and classier rim. I think both are as aggressive as one another, just in different ways.

If I had to have only one or the other, right now I would probably go for the M166s.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-2010, 04:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by xBMWx
The M166 with the standard tyres (you listed above) with the M6 offsets is a simple plug and play; it'll sit just right and no need for spacers.
I have the 128s on my car for winter and use 15mm spacers at the back. IMHO spacers are a must for the rear, but others seem to be very happy without them. This winter I will also use 5mm spacers up front, just to get them sitting right, like the rears (In my galleries you can see pictures of my 550i with 128s+spacers and my previous 525d with 128s and no spacers.)

A 285 instead of 275 should be fine with both and will give it a wider look.

As for which rim, I have had both (again, see me galleries) and it comes down what look you want and also how often you need to clean them! The 128s are sooo easy to clean, which is important in winter They also really stand out and probably have more of a wow effect, whereas the M166 is a more understated and classier rim. I think both are as aggressive as one another, just in different ways.

If I had to have only one or the other, right now I would probably go for the M166s.

Good luck!
i looked in the pics in your gallery and you didnt have any pics of the 128's ... they are my favorite oem wheel and i would jump on them for my 550 if i found them. can you add them to it so i can see??
Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Members

just wanted to put it out there....

are you planning on lowering the car or any suspension mod's ...

why ... because when i lowered my car on 19's it was horrible .. then moved into 20's and it was amazing .. just a fyi and that bigger for our cars seems to do better for some reason ..

just my 2 cents .. good luck !
Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by melimel
i looked in the pics in your gallery and you didnt have any pics of the 128's ... they are my favorite oem wheel and i would jump on them for my 550 if i found them. can you add them to it so i can see??
I have 10 galleries within my overall gallery. You may need to scroll down to find my 525d on 128s and my current 550i on 128s. Did you try the link in my signature or the link just below my avatar?

This is the link to my 550 on 128s:
https://5series.net/forums/gallery/a...on-19-oem-128/

Let me know if that works, if not I can dig out the link to a post with pics in it

I have always been able to find an Ebay based supplier who could offer OEM parts much cheaper than BMW. Is that not possible where you are? Or maybe Garry of BMW Newport?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Members

xBMWx great pictures..i was just looking at your gallery :]
Old 10-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport LCI Tails w/ V6 Cables MTEC 2.1 AE's 6K HID Xenon 6K HID Fogs HID Reverse Kit Front LED Turn signals LED Sidemarkers Eugene Eyebrow Mod Ricky's Brake effect Mod Fade on/off AE's and LCI Rods M5 cluster mod Interior/Trunk LED's License Plate LED's All Lighting parts thanks to John (Brabusw209amg)! All mods done by Simon (nomis_nehc) and Jorge (GS) LCI tails thanks to double s! V6 cables thanks to Bruce!

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I do not plan on lowering my car, so it will keep the stock suspension.

Thanks for the pictures too xBMWx, the 128's look nice!

Will think about it through the weekend and then decide. Such a hard decision!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I am not much of a fan of 128, but 166s are sexy.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Originally Posted by xBMWx
I have 10 galleries within my overall gallery. You may need to scroll down to find my 525d on 128s and my current 550i on 128s. Did you try the link in my signature or the link just below my avatar?

This is the link to my 550 on 128s:
https://5series.net/forums/gallery/a...on-19-oem-128/

Let me know if that works, if not I can dig out the link to a post with pics in it

I have always been able to find an Ebay based supplier who could offer OEM parts much cheaper than BMW. Is that not possible where you are? Or maybe Garry of BMW Newport?
oh thanks, i know ive looked at them sometime before. Your link helped, and it looks great!

Quick Reply: OEM Style 128 or Style 166, need some advice