E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM Rear license plate mounted park distance control kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xoeightx' post='565444' date='Apr 21 2008, 04:33 PM
please do. im anxious to see how it turns out. hopefully it turns out great!
car won't be ready until tomorrow. i had an issue w/my DRL's and they did not have them in stock!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

I would ask what is the range/radius of the detector. If it only detects an object directly infront of it, then its useless in my eyes.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Contributors

ok, i just picked up my car after getting the license plate mounted PDC......and my INITIAL option is its not worth the money!

i tested the "range" and i parked in front of a truck curbside. threw it in R and started backin' up......

beep , beep - 2-3 ft range
beep-beep (closer together, faster beeps) - 1-2 ft range
solid beep - literally inches from the trucks bumper!

i was disappointed the fact it was not intergreted into iDrive and the sound of the beep is somewhat low - probably would be hard to hear when ppl in the car is talking. lastly, the piece is not too attractive as previously mentioned.

i will test it out for a few days and i may be tempted to bring it back if the performance doesn't improve. i'm just wondering if they can give me some sort of refund?!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Members

man, I'm so sorry that I didn't get to this thread any earlier. Over in Europe there is a retrofit Backup camera set sold by BMW. It basically the same with those backup camera that Lexus has (put in reverse and you see all behind through your navigation monitor). There is a few of those sold on Ebay. You should just call up some trusted places around or bring it direct to BMW and probably ask someone over there to do it for you (and if they say they can't do it due to warranty issue blah blah blah.. find the best tech. guy in there, give him 150-200 bucks and ask him to do it for you in his own time.... this worked with me every single time haha)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07
Smile

Originally Posted by MacFly' post='566091' date='Apr 23 2008, 12:35 AM
ok, i just picked up my car after getting the license plate mounted PDC......and my INITIAL option is its not worth the money!i tested the "range" and i parked in front of a truck curbside. threw it in R and started backin' up......beep , beep - 2-3 ft rangebeep-beep (closer together, faster beeps) - 1-2 ft rangesolid beep - literally inches from the trucks bumper!i was disappointed the fact it was not intergreted into iDrive and the sound of the beep is somewhat low - probably would be hard to hear when ppl in the car is talking. lastly, the piece is not too attractive as previously mentioned.i will test it out for a few days and i may be tempted to bring it back if the performance doesn't improve. i'm just wondering if they can give me some sort of refund?!
Hate to say it, but not much change then !
Old 04-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

sorry macfly that it didn't come as we all wanted to to.

Originally Posted by BlueSander' post='566147' date='Apr 22 2008, 05:55 PM
man, I'm so sorry that I didn't get to this thread any earlier. Over in Europe there is a retrofit Backup camera set sold by BMW. It basically the same with those backup camera that Lexus has (put in reverse and you see all behind through your navigation monitor). There is a few of those sold on Ebay. You should just call up some trusted places around or bring it direct to BMW and probably ask someone over there to do it for you (and if they say they can't do it due to warranty issue blah blah blah.. find the best tech. guy in there, give him 150-200 bucks and ask him to do it for you in his own time.... this worked with me every single time haha)
i looked these up and to bad camera's are about $1000 and that's without installation.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Members

hi all, I am seriously considering this as it looks like the prices have come down. Has anyone else had this done, or got any pictures?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by S4CH
hi all, I am seriously considering this as it looks like the prices have come down. Has anyone else had this done, or got any pictures?
I had it done a few weeks ago. Happy to answer any questions. It was about $350 installed. I forgot I had it. Have not really tested it yet. My car 2008 535i is black and the part is black. It kinda looks like part of the license plate frame. It does not integrate with idrive. It has its own speaker and beeps once when you shift into reverse. I had something similar in my previous car and this is not as good. The other had louder audio and a visual indicator in the back which could be seen through the rear view mirror. I guess my main complaint is it is to easy to ignore while on my previous car it was nearly impossible. Plus I think it lets you get much closer before the beeps start. I have not seen the factory PDC.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

why not get the backup camera kit? Integrates on the iDrive whether you have nav or not
Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jlee
I had it done a few weeks ago. Happy to answer any questions. It was about $350 installed. I forgot I had it. Have not really tested it yet. My car 2008 535i is black and the part is black. It kinda looks like part of the license plate frame. It does not integrate with idrive. It has its own speaker and beeps once when you shift into reverse. I had something similar in my previous car and this is not as good. The other had louder audio and a visual indicator in the back which could be seen through the rear view mirror. I guess my main complaint is it is to easy to ignore while on my previous car it was nearly impossible. Plus I think it lets you get much closer before the beeps start. I have not seen the factory PDC.

Thanks! Appreciate the feed back! My 535i is black sapphire so as you say, it should blend in quite well. Since I am mostly in NYC, I don't mind if the sensor gets you closer before a continuous beep as I really just need to know when I am within a few inches of the car or wall behind. I understand its not the best solution but for $300 its not a bad solution. My only other question is - can this be easily stolen?

Quick Reply: OEM Rear license plate mounted park distance control kit