E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM Parts vs Replica Parts

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed a significant difference in price between the OEM body kits and the replica body kits. Some are even made from the same materials and based on my experience, the replica parts fit really good. What gives? Is it the manufacturer name, reputation, quality? It would be great if someone could please explain the difference that justifies the price difference.

Thanks
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by IvoryJ
I've noticed a significant difference in price between the OEM body kits and the replica body kits. Some are even made from the same materials and based on my experience, the replica parts fit really good. What gives? Is it the manufacturer name, reputation, quality? It would be great if someone could please explain the difference that justifies the price difference.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure it's like a name brand medication vs generic...they do the exact same thing, just preference. I got my M Style front bumper from Trinity and it looks legit! I think some non-OEM body parts aren't an exact fit, but most are very close. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by IvoryJ

Thanks

There are differences - If you read enough threads here you will see the kits don't always fit perfectly. There are plenty of people who say the body shop had to make minor modifications to get the pieces to fit 100%. Also, I have read that some of the part sometimes need a bit of work before the surface is ready to be painted. I have replica side skirts. My body shop had no problem with them and liked the quality. I think they look great. They don't fit 100% but are pretty darn close. It comes down to your personal choice. If you want a 100% fit go with OEM.

As to why the OEM costs more it includes a whole range of things from build quality to the fact that it is BMW and they can get a premium for their parts. I would also expect there are markedly higher "overhead costs" associated with the BMW enterprise that ultimately delivers its parts compared to the vendors in the chain delivering the Umnitza / Trinity parts.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 AM
Senior Members

well i tried both replica and oem mtech bumper... fitment, oem is better... fiberglass bumper ususally requires more work to be done before it is mounted but polyurethane (the same material as OEM bumper ) ususally dont need that much work if they were made properly.

I got replica bumper and had to replace it with OEM after got small accident(my hamann splitter got ripped off when i was goign through puddle of water) and got money for new bumper...
i transfered most of replica parts to my oem one and it fitted really good.. i was very suprised..

but i always prefer oem parts just incase if something happens
Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM
Banned

Thanks everyone.

The explanations are what I expected. I guess it basically comes down to personal choice which involves good and bad experiences. I purchased the M Style front bumper and side skirts from Trinity Autosport and the fit for the front bumper was excellent, however the side skirts were maybe a 16th of an inch too short at the front, however they still looked good and you really don't notice it.

Excluding the OEM version, does anyone have a preference for the rear bumper that will fit a 530i that would be a close comparison to the OEM version?

Thanks,