E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler

Has anyone experienced any fitment issues or the spoiler not staying down when double sided tape is used? I'm referring to OEM not replica.

Thanks,
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I think it's better to use the Betalink stuff instead of the tape. There doesn't seem to be enough surface area for the tape to bond well on the spoiler.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pjinca
I think it's better to use the Betalink stuff instead of the tape. There doesn't seem to be enough surface area for the tape to bond well on the spoiler.
I wonder if they use Betalink on the M5's? I used Betalink on the 530i and I plan to stay away from it. That $%^& is no joke.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Since you say OEM, then you can rule out any unwanted stress in the actual part. My oem fit perfect. Just make sure that you clean the trunk panel well and also the backside of the spoiler. The OEM spoiler comes with the tape, but if you have to purchase new tape, I would use 3M High Strength doubleside tape. This is what I used on my replacement spoiler after I removed the OEM. I went with the larger one and it did not come with the tape. Cleaning is top priority. I used a prep cleaner that is used to wipe parts down just before painting.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Since you say OEM, then you can rule out any unwanted stress in the actual part. My oem fit perfect. Just make sure that you clean the trunk panel well and also the backside of the spoiler. The OEM spoiler comes with the tape, but if you have to purchase new tape, I would use 3M High Strength doubleside tape. This is what I used on my replacement spoiler after I removed the OEM. I went with the larger one and it did not come with the tape. Cleaning is top priority. I used a prep cleaner that is used to wipe parts down just before painting.
I had a bad experience with a replica M5 trunk lip spoiler. No matter what I did it wouldn't stay down and I didn't want to use betalink or some other permanent adhesive. Going forward, I only plan to purchase only OEM body modifications that will hopefully eliminate that.

Thanks,
Old 02-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ah, ok I thought you already had it and it was coming off. I misread you OP. Just make sure to clean both surfaces well, mainly your car because I am sure it has been waxed. Mine came with the double sided tape in the box but if I recall the tape was extra. Maybe that was for a repair or something. Another important thing to do is dry fit it and make sure you know exactly where its going to sit, then take a few pieces of blue tape and place on the spoiler then then car horizontally and just mark a guide line. This really helps to align the spoiler. The tape is SO strong that you have really only one chance for proper placement. If you try to pull it back off the tape become damaged and shouldn't be used again.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

^ Congrats on the upgrade to a V8. I'm sure the power difference is night and day from the 530i.

On my ACS rep, I used the industrial strength (?) 3M tape and holding it down thus far.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I installed the OEM M5 Trunk lip spoiler on mine with the included 3M tape. The key thing I did is I completely prepped the tape contact point on the spoiler with alcohol to make sure all oil residue is removed. Also I thoroughly cleaned and clay barr'ed the trunk around the contact point to make sure that no oil, wax, and residue was still on there. My install is going on 2 years and no sign of the spoiler lifting.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by balbs
I installed the OEM M5 Trunk lip spoiler on mine with the included 3M tape. The key thing I did is I completely prepped the tape contact point on the spoiler with alcohol to make sure all oil residue is removed. Also I thoroughly cleaned and clay barr'ed the trunk around the contact point to make sure that no oil, wax, and residue was still on there. My install is going on 2 years and no sign of the spoiler lifting.
And you just used tape? Interesting, I might try that.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Yes, just the supplied tape...BTW, I left something out...When I had the spoiler painted, unfortunately, the shop also painted under the spoilier (I guess to make sure all externally visible parts are painted). Doing that painted the contact points. At the time I knew that I don't want the tape sticking on the paint so I sanded the paint off the contact point. Doing this also lightly sanded the spoiler plastic so that molding oil was removed in the process. After the spoiler contact point was smooth, I then used alcohol anyway to further remove some oil.
So if you get an unpainted piece, I would lightly sand the tape contact point and put masking tape on the contact point before sending it out to paint. Tell the shop to leave the tape on if they can so that they don't hit that part with paint. I would hit the contact point with alcohol again after the paint is settled.

Quick Reply: OEM M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler