E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM M5 Exhaust Upgrade on a 535i

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i white/black sport,prm,navi,cold weather

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='663661' date='Sep 6 2008, 09:26 PM
Yes unless you go for aftermarket and mount it vertically like MacFly's quad setup.

We'll see if i'll be happy with the M5 exhaust upgrade. I'm getting tired of waiting for Autobahn Exotics' exhaust.
go with meisterschaft sus gt
Old 09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='663661' date='Sep 6 2008, 08:26 PM
Yes unless you go for aftermarket and mount it vertically like MacFly's quad setup.

We'll see if i'll be happy with the M5 exhaust upgrade. I'm getting tired of waiting for Autobahn Exotics' exhaust.
I'm interested to know how you will install the m5 exhaust (cat back) to your 535i? Are you going to install just:

1. one single, or
2. relocate the rear battery compartment or knock out the spare tire compartment to fit the passenger M5 dual mufflers?

If the 535i is like the 545i/550i, there's no way to do dual/quad m5 mufflers setup on a 535i unless you choose option 2.

This "backpressure" issue has been beaten over and over again. You're not going to lose HP with low pressurization in your exhaust system. You may lose some "scavenging" effects in lower rpm due to lower pressurization which is a slight loss in torque, but you'll make it up in the few HPs in the higher rpm range.

The cause of lower pressurization in your aftermarket exhaust sytem is the "less bents and angles in the design of aftermarket exhaust. Less bents and angles results in easier "airflow" - hence less pressurization - hence less scavenging effects for the engine - hence louder sound - hence slightly lower torque. But at higher rpm, the engine's higher exhaust output reasults in higher airflow - hence higher pressurization - hence slightly lower exhaust sound - hence slightly more HP because of the less bents and angles in the system.

BMW's solution to lowering the exhaust sound (like droning) durring lower rpm is the butterfly valve. I thought I saw somewhere that shows the m5 systems with 2 butterfly valves (one on each side).

If you want a quiet exhaust with the M5 look, you're better off using a dummy passenger pipe outlet since there's:

1. not enough room on the passenger side to fit nice and neat a muffler with enough bents and angles to quiet the exhaust
2. no aftermarket manufacturer of performance mufflers that will make it as quiet as stock
Old 09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='663762' date='Sep 6 2008, 10:58 PM
I'm interested to know how you will install the m5 exhaust (cat back) to your 535i? Are you going to install just:

1. one single, or
2. relocate the rear battery compartment or knock out the spare tire compartment to fit the passenger M5 dual mufflers?

If the 535i is like the 545i/550i, there's no way to do dual/quad m5 mufflers setup on a 535i unless you choose option 2.

This "backpressure" issue has been beaten over and over again. You're not going to lose HP with low pressurization in your exhaust system. You may lose some "scavenging" effects in lower rpm due to lower pressurization which is a slight loss in torque, but you'll make it up in the few HPs in the higher rpm range.

The cause of lower pressurization in your aftermarket exhaust sytem is the "less bents and angles in the design of aftermarket exhaust. Less bents and angles results in easier "airflow" - hence less pressurization - hence less scavenging effects for the engine - hence louder sound - hence slightly lower torque. But at higher rpm, the engine's higher exhaust output reasults in higher airflow - hence higher pressurization - hence slightly lower exhaust sound - hence slightly more HP because of the less bents and angles in the system.

BMW's solution to lowering the exhaust sound (like droning) durring lower rpm is the butterfly valve. I thought I saw somewhere that shows the m5 systems with 2 butterfly valves (one on each side).

If you want a quiet exhaust with the M5 look, you're better off using a dummy passenger pipe outlet since there's:

1. not enough room on the passenger side to fit nice and neat a muffler with enough bents and angles to quiet the exhaust
2. no aftermarket manufacturer of performance mufflers that will make it as quiet as stock
hey thanks for the tip. i will only put the driver side and then dummies on the passenger. since the m5 exhaust is still a stock exhaust, i think i should be fine. will post results later.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='663911' date='Sep 7 2008, 11:57 AM
hey thanks for the tip. i will only put the driver side and then dummies on the passenger. since the m5 exhaust is still a stock exhaust, i think i should be fine. will post results later.
I thinks it's more work than needed. If you want a louder exhaust without the "aftermarket" sounds, than try locking open the butterfly valve. But if you want to try, let us know the results. You'll probably have to cap off at the x-pipe location on the m5 exhaust.