E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM BMW backup camera install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

I have seen Mentholguy's camera installs and they look like good quality, but I'd like to know if anyone has done an OEM retrofit to include any necessary computer coding.

(Example images are taken from a 2009 X5 4.8is - I believe they still utilize CCC as that doesn't look like a CIC screen to me)

OEM BMW backup camera install?-165.jpg OEM BMW backup camera install?-150.jpg
Attached Thumbnails OEM BMW backup camera install?-wheaties1a.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Expensive route but it's been done by some members here i.e. http://forums.5serie...04&#entry837204

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
I have seen Mentholguy's camera installs and they look like good quality, but I'd like to know if anyone has done an OEM retrofit to include any necessary computer coding.

(Example images are taken from a 2009 X5 4.8is - I believe they still utilize CCC as that doesn't look like a CIC screen to me)

Attachment 105043 Attachment 105044
Old 05-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Expensive route but it's been done by some members here i.e. http://forums.5serie...04&#entry837204

I did that installation in the 08 M5, it is one of only a select few cars that here in the US that have the real thing ( factory rear camera, ACM + USB w/ video ). Expensive yes, but worth it. However, that system is only good for 2003-09 E60s. I believe that the factory system shown in the 09 X5 is using the new round LVDS video cable on the display, so it might only work on a 2010+ E60 or 2009+ E90.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by methodsound
I did that installation in the 08 M5, it is one of only a select few cars that here in the US that have the real thing ( factory rear camera, ACM + USB w/ video ). Expensive yes, but worth it. However, that system is only good for 2003-09 E60s. I believe that the factory system shown in the 09 X5 is using the new round LVDS video cable on the display, so it might only work on a 2010+ E60 or 2009+ E90.
My car is an 08 (07/2007 production date) E61 535ix Touring.

Yipes - I don't know that I need ACM, I don't really want a front camera or the ability to play video on my iDrive display and I already have OEM USB and AUX inputs installed. I just want a back up camera solution whose options I can control from my iDrive interface. For example, with mentholguy's camera setup, the PDC shows on the left while the camera view shows up on the smaller right screen and that apparently cannot be changed. You may go full screen with the camera, but if you want split screen, it's as pictured below or nothing at all. In my example above, you can choose/switch via an iDrive menu sides for backup video and PDC display. I'd be happy with permanent PDC display on the right (smaller) screen and backup video on the left screen.

Mentholguy's display:
OEM BMW backup camera install?-01.jpg

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking MG's setup - it's really first class and he seems like a great fellow. I'm just trying to find out what my options are before commiting to a solution

Off Topic: Methodsound - do you have any integrated rear subwoofer solutions for the E61 Touring? I saw your E39 Touring work on your web site. Very nice!
Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

For your 08 E61 you have 2 options. However neither one will operate the way the new factory system operates in the X5. The factory unit that works in an 08 E60 is the ACM.

Here are some notes about both systems that might help you decide: ACM or aftermarket

1) the aftermarket interface is costs less than the ACM
2) ACM has a coolant temp gauge, voltage gauge, and fuel volume gauge
3) ACM has an onscreen menu thru the iDrive with easy controls
4) Both systems can be used with factory or aftermarket cameras
5) ACM automatically switches between front and rear camera during parallel parking. The aftermarket unit only does reverse camera, front camera is manually switched on for each use
6) The ACM does not generate parking lines on it's own, but lines would show up on screen if a camera that generated parking guide lines was used
7) ACM viewing picture is either full screen camera view or normal PDC menu. DVD screen is full screen only as well
8) Aftermarket interface has options for full screen or split screen or pic in pic screen. Only option not available is one you requested, 2/3 backup camera image with 1/3 pdc image on the right, I prefer 2/3 backup camera image with pdc pic in pic screen with nav on the 1/3.

Here are all the parts needed to do the Roundvision retrofit with USB ( Roundvision = ACM+rear camera+front side camera )
OEM BMW backup camera install?-roundvision-kit.jpg
ACM gauges
OEM BMW backup camera install?-acm-gauges.jpg
ACM menu screen
OEM BMW backup camera install?-acm-menu.jpg

For you subwoofer option, similar to the one in the E39 touring in my portfolio, anything is possible. I made custom fiberglass enclosures for that car so he could keep the spare tire. One reason it looks so stock is because I changed out all the carpet in the trunk with Bentley carpet, so the material on the enclosures and the floor all match perfectly. Years later the tire was deleted to make room for the dual exhaust tunnel in the floor pan. So for your touring, we have the option of doing a subwoofer in either rear corner, both rear corners, under the floor in the trunk under the floor panel, or up in the passenger firewall. Also, a few options for under the front seats for a more mild upgrade. PM me for more detailed info, including interior speaker upgrades.
OEM BMW backup camera install?-sub.jpg