E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Notes on a 2009 535i HiFi to MS-8 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this may sound like a stupid question but i thought i definitely have a hifi system because I have the smaller amp in the left side of the trunk of my car I was under the impression that if you have a longer amp its the logic 7, but upon studying this thread with the having to add the center speaker I looked up on my dash and noticed I already had one there so now I'm completely unsure. Is it possible that there is no speaker under the grate and just an empty space for if I want to add a speaker later???? Also second question If I do already have a speaker there is it still necessary to upgrade to another center? Lastly would you provide the add on to convert my mod my nav pnp harness with the in/out extensions?

EDIT: Well I went out and answered my own question popped off the bezel and Not to my surprise nothing in there. So I'm going to place an order with Bavarian sound werks for one hifi system upgrade and one center speaker upgrade. And while I wait for that to arrive actively shopping the jbl ms-8 and I'll be contacting you in the future for the harnesses
Old 06-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by spediegunz
this may sound like a stupid question but i thought i definitely have a hifi system because I have the smaller amp in the left side of the trunk of my car I was under the impression that if you have a longer amp its the logic 7, but upon studying this thread with the having to add the center speaker I looked up on my dash and noticed I already had one there so now I'm completely unsure. Is it possible that there is no speaker under the grate and just an empty space for if I want to add a speaker later???? Also second question If I do already have a speaker there is it still necessary to upgrade to another center? Lastly would you provide the add on to convert my mod my nav pnp harness with the in/out extensions?

EDIT: Well I went out and answered my own question popped off the bezel and Not to my surprise nothing in there. So I'm going to place an order with Bavarian sound werks for one hifi system upgrade and one center speaker upgrade. And while I wait for that to arrive actively shopping the jbl ms-8 and I'll be contacting you in the future for the harnesses
I would get a coaxial speaker as the center. The BSW center speaker is just a mid driver.

Voices will sound better with a coaxial speaker.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i want to do exactly the same like" spediegunz"..to add the center dash speaker..

how do i do that?i mean were do i take the + AND - for it..

thx u
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stel_i79
i want to do exactly the same like" spediegunz"..to add the center dash speaker..

how do i do that?i mean were do i take the + AND - for it..

thx u
There's no center speaker OEM wiring in the E60 Stereo or HiFi OEM systems.

As shown in this thread, the MS-8 provides the center speaker wiring, processing and power.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Technic
I would get a coaxial speaker as the center. The BSW center speaker is just a mid driver.

Voices will sound better with a coaxial speaker.
Can you recommend any good coaxial speakers?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Can you recommend any good coaxial speakers?
The DLS 224 shown in this thread is excellent as well as the OEM Individual Audio coaxial center speaker. In the inexpensive but good category, the Vibe Slick V4 is effective for its price and with MS-8 power.

Last edited by Technic; 12-03-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Members

Great thread. Audio is next on my upgrade list and I've been thinking about doing this same install (OEM Center + MS-8) as the first step. Seems like I could then upgrade the other speakers down the line similar to your suggestions in another thread:

What I would do with an E60 and the HiFi is:

- MS-8 processor
- OEM Individual Audio center speaker channel
- Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG (front)
- Rainbow SLX 210 (rear)
- Kicker SSMB8 (if you find them) or Morel ADMW SW 9 underseat woofers
- Image Dynamics ID10D4 V.3 trunk sub
- JL Audio HD600/4
- JL Audio HD900/5
- HiFi amp harness (no LOC)
- MASK/CCC/CIC harness (I sell that one too, for the 3-Series but it fits the E60 as well)

For a more modest system, I would do:

- JBL MS-8
- OEM Individual Audio center speaker channel (powered by the MS-8)
- Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG (front)
- Morel ADMW SW 9 (underseat woofers)
- Image Dynamics ID10D4 V.3 trunk sub
- JL 900/5
- keep rear OEM speakers (powered by the MS-8)

You need a processor that can defeat the OEM EQ curve built in in the MASK/CCC/CIC and once you do that the you need the processor again to get everything to sound coherent.
So can you answer a couple more questions for me?

1. What did you do with the display and remote for the MS-8? Did you mount them somewhere so that adjustments can be made from the driver's seat or did you remove them after the initial setup to keep a clean factory look?

2. If you were going to add a trunk sub to this install, where would you get the signal for it? Would it need your other trunk sub harness, or can you use the preamp outputs on the MS-8 while also keeping the speaker level outputs for the other 7 channels?

3. Any suggestions on where to get the MS-8? I've seen you mention to get it from an authorized dealer so you get a warranty since they can sometimes have random failures.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Members

Plug MS-8 to input/output M-ASK extension cables (front, center and rear speakers) and to OEM amp input and output underseat woofers signals (cables pre-terminated for PnP):

Notes:

1) MS-8 uses the 12V and ground connections from the OEM amp via the PnP harness. The OEM amp 12V is a 40A fused OEM line; the MS-8 is double-fused at 25A. No whine, no noises.

2) Result: quite an inprovement in clarity, front stage focus, bass impact and overall loudness despite the OEM speakers. This should not be any secret or magic: power was increased from 25W x 4/40W x 2 to 60W max x 7, adjustments went from just bass/treble to bass/mid/treble, sub and center level, Logic7, and 31-band EQ while the M-ASK outputs EQ curve flattened. So there are enough possible adjustments to get a relatively louder and clearer sound than OEM. The addition of the DLS 424 center channel and particularly the Logic7 processing created a higher, adjustable (driver/passenger/front focused) and just better front stage that was not there before.

Customer was very happy with the result, so I was happy...
Great article or POST...do you possibly have the end result in a picture? Or did it look stock??
Old 06-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jcantanixon
Great thread. Audio is next on my upgrade list and I've been thinking about doing this same install (OEM Center + MS-8) as the first step. Seems like I could then upgrade the other speakers down the line similar to your suggestions in another thread:

So can you answer a couple more questions for me?

1. What did you do with the display and remote for the MS-8? Did you mount them somewhere so that adjustments can be made from the driver's seat or did you remove them after the initial setup to keep a clean factory look?
Not installed. Once the MS-8 is set there is no need to be constantly adjusting it. The OEM bass and treble is more than sufficient.

2. If you were going to add a trunk sub to this install, where would you get the signal for it? Would it need your other trunk sub harness, or can you use the preamp outputs on the MS-8 while also keeping the speaker level outputs for the other 7 channels?
The MS-8 still has an extra channel output available for a sub.

3. Any suggestions on where to get the MS-8? I've seen you mention to get it from an authorized dealer so you get a warranty since they can sometimes have random failures.
Anywhere with warranty. This device fails quite often.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mojo86
Great article or POST...do you possibly have the end result in a picture? Or did it look stock??
I do not understand your question, this is a MS-8 install to the OEM HiFi system using PnP harnesses and parts. No OEM part was replaced, cut, spliced, or tapped as shown in the photos. This is 100% OEM reversible.

Quick Reply: Notes on a 2009 535i HiFi to MS-8 install