E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Notes on a 2009 535i HiFi to MS-8 install

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by spediegunz
I currently only have the hifi system with a sub and amp in the trunk for more base I've been considering getting the ms8 and bsw speakers for mids and highs mostly because when I play my stock system loud the current speakers can't handle it and get a bit scratchy at higher pitches and frequencies. What would be the optimal way to set this up is it necessary to connect a center speaker? Would I have to power my sub amp through the ms 8 as well or can I leave it separate? Currently sound goes to my sub amp from a tap I made into wires coming out of the stock amp going to the subs under the seat and using a high low converter. If I get the ms 8 would i still be able to use this method?
What you see in this thread is what normally is done if a MS-8 is to be installed in a E60 to power all the OEM speakers and an aftermarket center.

You sub aftermarket amp will be connected directly via RCA cable to the MS-8 in your particular case; no need of any LOC. The MS-8 will be the main processor for all your audio components after its install.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Vader (09-27-2023)
Old 06-18-2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so if I decided to do this I would need to do the center speaker. Second issue I have is I already am using a pnp harness for the mega block on my modmynav is there another way I can use your harness besides tapping in behind the radio i see there is one available to use at the hifi amp to plug the ms8 there.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 AM
New Members

great great post and I believe that benefits lots of E60 users; mine is a pre-LCI version with Hifi option. I particularly like the idea of re-using the 12V and ground from the OEM amp which means apart from the harness; nothing extra is required (incl. power and grounding).

Helps me to understand a bit further if you do have some times:
- I read somewhere that the subwoofer speaker cables is wired in parallel to the front speakers; if that's the case how we uses the MS8 to power the sub and front speaker separately? I suppose when you mean 7 channels it means (FR with tweeter, FL with tweeter, Center, RR with tweeter, RL with tweeter, and woofer1 and woofer2).
- Do you think the MS-8 is competent enough to power aftermarket speakers like Morel Oviation?
- If I go ahead with this particular setup with just the harness and the MS-8; would replacing aftermarket speaker which normally in 4ohm rating had any issue as the woofer is wired in parallel with the front speaker?

I'm very eager to try this...
Old 06-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Ok so if I decided to do this I would need to do the center speaker. Second issue I have is I already am using a pnp harness for the mega block on my modmynav is there another way I can use your harness besides tapping in behind the radio i see there is one available to use at the hifi amp to plug the ms8 there.
If you have a modmynav harness then you should modify that one by adding the in/out extension cables. Two harnesses will be an extremely tight fit -if they fit at all- behind the CCC/CIC/M-ASK.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by creed
great great post and I believe that benefits lots of E60 users; mine is a pre-LCI version with Hifi option. I particularly like the idea of re-using the 12V and ground from the OEM amp which means apart from the harness; nothing extra is required (incl. power and grounding).

Helps me to understand a bit further if you do have some times:
- I read somewhere that the subwoofer speaker cables is wired in parallel to the front speakers; if that's the case how we uses the MS8 to power the sub and front speaker separately? I suppose when you mean 7 channels it means (FR with tweeter, FL with tweeter, Center, RR with tweeter, RL with tweeter, and woofer1 and woofer2).
- Do you think the MS-8 is competent enough to power aftermarket speakers like Morel Oviation?
- If I go ahead with this particular setup with just the harness and the MS-8; would replacing aftermarket speaker which normally in 4ohm rating had any issue as the woofer is wired in parallel with the front speaker?

I'm very eager to try this...
1) This is not the Stereo system (4-channels, 6-speakers, no amp, front/woofers connected in parallel), this is the HiFi system (6-channels, 10-speakers, woofers OEM amp, CCC/M-ASK powered front and rear speakers).
2) The Morel Ovation in particular requires more power than what the MS-8 can provide to be effective. HiFi OEM speakers are 2ohms.
3) See #1 above.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:22 AM
New Members

Thanks for the clarification Technic,
Old 06-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Technic,

How come here

You didnt run the cables under the glovebox and around?
(maybe cuz thats a LHD car? I know it usually goes through there on RHD with the glovebox being on the left)
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Members

Great post Technic! I'm sure I'll eventually be picking up a harness from you to upgrade my system to the MS-8, so this is definitely a keeper. I'm also curious why you followed the center console rather than going all the way left under the dash and then to the door sill. How did you get under the carpet between the center console, under the seat to the door sill? Did you fish it through a hole or is there a natural seam?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sd_dracula
Hi Technic,

How come here

You didnt run the cables under the glovebox and around?
(maybe cuz thats a LHD car? I know it usually goes through there on RHD with the glovebox being on the left)
No need... this way is much easier and faster for me.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by darkrider
Great post Technic! I'm sure I'll eventually be picking up a harness from you to upgrade my system to the MS-8, so this is definitely a keeper. I'm also curious why you followed the center console rather than going all the way left under the dash and then to the door sill. How did you get under the carpet between the center console, under the seat to the door sill? Did you fish it through a hole or is there a natural seam?
There is a carpet divide/split beside each front seat, right under the parking brake area. So the cables are tucked under the split and then run under the seats, door sills and then to the trunk on each side of the center console.

Quick Reply: Notes on a 2009 535i HiFi to MS-8 install