E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Nex GT Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also guys, maxspeed as the Nex SS coils for $658 plus $60 shipping!

thats a smokin hot deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEX-c...Q5fAccessories
Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Because there isnt a tuner scene in WA state. All the shops know this and so they go by a dealer program that tells them what the dealer would charge to install and they all go off of that. I literally called EVERY SINGLE shop around from Portland to Bellingham and they all had the same prices. Its a locked market. Hence why Im making the long ass drive to Cali for spring break....kill two birds with one stone and get more for my money.

The cheapest I ever got it was $425 plus tax
Ouch! I guess that makes sense, I have a lot of relatives scattered around Oregon and Washington and none really care or know anything about cars or the tuning/mod scene. And man the SS line is cheeeaaaap... I wonder how the ride is. I like having the adjustability, the $200 extra seems worth it for the GT, especially if you're keeping it for a few years.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Ouch! I guess that makes sense, I have a lot of relatives scattered around Oregon and Washington and none really care or know anything about cars or the tuning/mod scene. And man the SS line is cheeeaaaap... I wonder how the ride is. I like having the adjustability, the $200 extra seems worth it for the GT, especially if you're keeping it for a few years.

well keep in mind the price is obo and considering they have only sold 1 other kit to an e60 owner, they are willing to negotiate

pm sent
Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

tread lightly guys. price may be very appealing now but in my experience within a year you'll be replacing them. sorry PTL don't mean to crap on your thread i just know there are a lot of new, younger members on the forum who want to mod mod mod.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
tread lightly guys. price may be very appealing now but in my experience within a year you'll be replacing them. sorry PTL don't mean to crap on your thread i just know there are a lot of new, younger members on the forum who want to mod mod mod.
I think that includes myself . With the car's value dropping, I agree that younger and younger people are jumping into these cars and looking to mod on a super budget.

And to think I bought your car because I figured there wasn't much else to mod. Sigh...
Old 02-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Contributors

None taken but honestly I would never recommend KW to another member for the price and the quality of their product. Its absurd and embarrasing that their coils clank and sound like a lifted truck.

Whats the next option then? JIC? for almost $2000 before install im sorry but thats just not within what I want to spend on this car and the younger members probably cant afford it either ya know?

Im just seeing if these are the middle ground option for us out there and if not well i really didnt spend very much for them.

It would be different if i had never had KW on my car before.

Honestly man, price makes a big difference especially when the KW product has known issues that the company makes then refuse to accept or fix and merely shrug off a customer. So what good is their product then? Nothing IMHO.

I think the key here is that those who ACTUALLY have the NEX GT/SS coils on their bmw have all loved them and used them for longer than just a year. One is over three years now with no issues. I think that fact deserves some recognition and respect before anyone says anything negative.

Im not trying to say "These are the best" or "no issues". I think what ive tried to be on is that for the price the performance return will exceed the more expensive choices, considering ive been there and done that before.

The other thing is that i use to work for a NA distributor of parts, my fathers company. So I know the 3-6 tier pricing structure that many companies use.

There is tons of middleman prices logged into JIC and KW from their NA distributors and the end user gets to pay that, so factor that into the price as well.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Former Vendor

Eric. Hehe you always blaze your own trail, but I'm pretty sure I warned you. I'm talking about other people jumping the gun before waiting for your review/feedback. Coilovers aren't cheap, they were never a cheap mod for any car. People saw room in the market for a cheap coilover <$1000. Taiwan saw this demand and decided to make them to distribute in the US.

KC SPORT, D2, NEX, BC Racing, etc, etc. In my eyes they are all the same. I'm not saying they aren't good but they aren't great and you will get what you pay for eventually.

Anyways, carry on, of course I'd like for you to give a great review then I can sell them and make money.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Well I honestly cant speak to whatever experiences you may have had with other brands but you have told me you didnt have any experience with these. The feedback from other bmw owners of these was all positive and like I said, one still has his and has had them for 3+ years.

If JIC or KW had better competitive prices, more people would buy their parts.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Contributors

Eric. Hehe you always blaze your own trail, but I'm pretty sure I warned you. I'm talking about other people jumping the gun before waiting for your review/feedback. Coilovers aren't cheap, they were never a cheap mod for any car. People saw room in the market for a cheap coilover <$1000. Taiwan saw this demand and decided to make them to distribute in the US.

KC SPORT, D2, NEX, BC Racing, etc, etc. In my eyes they are all the same. I'm not saying they aren't good but they aren't great and you will get what you pay for eventually.

Anyways, carry on, of course I'd like for you to give a great review then I can sell them and make money.
Im pretty sure that what you had told wasnt a warning, but rather just you stating you didnt have experience with them and why not get JIC?

The initial production of coils isnt cheap no doubt, but once the tooling is done the production cost of most products is roughly only 33% of the full price that the end user pays. Then their retailers need to get a 40-60% discount from that MSRP to make some money. If KW sold their Coilovers straight from their NA shop, they wouldnt cost more than $1100 plus shipping for V2's; given this is my estimation based on my experiences selling parts.

I guess what makes me cringe is when resellers try to crap on these types of coils when their coils are far more expensive and are prone to their own set of issues.

To date, the best suspension I have ever had was Ground Control springs with KYB AGX shocks for under $650. Tanabe, Tein, KW, H&R all made noises. To be fair D2, BC, Apexi, Ksport have had their issues as well but you NEVER see those resellers crapping on Tanabe, Tein, KW etc.

I totally understand your hesitation though Michael, if something is too good to be true, then it probably is. I had said earlier I remember when JIC Magic was released for Subies to the total of $1000, and everyone crapped on them. Now they are way over $2000 and for what? They established themselves and used better designs.

If these coils do what they are suppose to do with a reasonable ride then Ill be happy because thats what I paid for.

I dunno if i would tell people to wait before buying these for themselves, it might be better if people had more reviewers to base their opinion on
Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Former Vendor

Eric, I'm not crapping on your coilovers! Sheesh, don't make me color your rims pink. I talk crap about KW all the time. I keep saying this and I'll say it again. COILOVERS ARE NOT A CHEAP MOD TO BEGIN WITH.

BTW, your mentality of once they tool it they should be able to produce it is exactly why you think the way you're thinking and how it sets KW, D2, etc. apart from JIC and other hard core coilover companies.

JIC & Others, the coilovers are built specifically for a car application. The spring rate, shocks, etc are build for that car. Whereas companies like KW, for example, use cartridges that are mass produced and can be used across many applications. All they do is build the coilover to fit the car and put in whatever cartridge will get good results but not great.

SUMMARY: Great coilovers cannot be mass produced.

Don't know if that made sense but carry on. Like I said, I'm just as interested in seeing how the NEX turns out.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Contributors

Eric, I'm not crapping on your coilovers! Sheesh, don't make me color your rims pink. I talk crap about KW all the time. I keep saying this and I'll say it again. COILOVERS ARE NOT A CHEAP MOD TO BEGIN WITH.

you leave my lush sexy wheels out of this lol

they did nothing to you!

no coilovers are not a cheap mod

Quick Reply: Nex GT Coilovers