E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Nex GT Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
BTW, your mentality of once they tool it they should be able to produce it is exactly why you think the way you're thinking and how it sets KW, D2, etc. apart from JIC and other hard core coilover companies.

JIC & Others, the coilovers are built specifically for a car application. The spring rate, shocks, etc are build for that car. Whereas companies like KW, for example, use cartridges that are mass produced and can be used across many applications. All they do is build the coilover to fit the car and put in whatever cartridge will get good results but not great.

SUMMARY: Great coilovers cannot be mass produced.

Don't know if that made sense but carry on. Like I said, I'm just as interested in seeing how the NEX turns out.

I wonder then why KW charges just as much as JIC with a far inferior product?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Easy. Did you hear about KW or JIC first?

KW spends a ton of money on marketing -- just look at their websites.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
I wonder then why KW charges just as much as JIC with a far inferior product?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Easy. Did you hear about KW or JIC first?

KW spends a ton of money on marketing -- just look at their websites.

true, I heard about KW before I heard about JIC for our cars.

I knew about JIC from my bugeye days
Old 02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Ok let's just all buy some Motons and call it a day .

I think threads like these with arguments for both sides are great and informative, especially to those who don't really know much about the modding/coilover scene. You have the group of people with money who will just go for the brand name since it's been "marketed and established". Then you have the cheapie group who buys all replica, cheap, and knock-off parts. With threads like this we can see the real deal behind both sides. I mean all companies started somewhere and established themselves somehow. Some companies stay true to themselves with how they started and some others change to only caring about maximizing profit.

Let's give Nex a shot and tally up the score after everything is said and done!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Anyone starts making coilovers for Xi aside from KW, y'all gonna let me know, right?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Ok let's just all buy some Motons and call it a day .

I think threads like these with arguments for both sides are great and informative, especially to those who don't really know much about the modding/coilover scene. You have the group of people with money who will just go for the brand name since it's been "marketed and established". Then you have the cheapie group who buys all replica, cheap, and knock-off parts. With threads like this we can see the real deal behind both sides. I mean all companies started somewhere and established themselves somehow. Some companies stay true to themselves with how they started and some others change to only caring about maximizing profit.

Let's give Nex a shot and tally up the score after everything is said and done!

Oh no worries man Michael and I are totally fine, he is just approaching it from the stand point of having to be the middleman to help customers out when cheapo products fail. So being cautious is a good thing, especially when it comes to something important like your cars suspension. Thats not a place to cheap out on but it also happens to be the best place to get had by an expensive inferior product as well.

Its kinda the catch 22 of suspension unless you are willing to shell out the cash for something more custom.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
Oh no worries man Michael and I are totally fine, he is just approaching it from the stand point of having to be the middleman to help customers out when cheapo products fail. So being cautious is a good thing, especially when it comes to something important like your cars suspension. Thats not a place to cheap out on but it also happens to be the best place to get had by an expensive inferior product as well.

Its kinda the catch 22 of suspension unless you are willing to shell out the cash for something more custom.
Yea I figured that heh. Michael is a cool dude, I did buy his car after all haha. I was just saying that these different viewpoints are good since we're covering all the bases . I mean aside from a few posts elsewhere, I've pretty much only heard spectacular things about KWs. Now hearing all of this gives me a clearer picture about them. I still think they are great (from what I hear) but overpriced, yes.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TakmaN
Yea I figured that heh. Michael is a cool dude, I did buy his car after all haha. I was just saying that these different viewpoints are good since we're covering all the bases . I mean aside from a few posts elsewhere, I've pretty much only heard spectacular things about KWs. Now hearing all of this gives me a clearer picture about them. I still think they are great (from what I hear) but overpriced, yes.

Yeah I think thats kinda the key here. KW gave a great ride, unquestionably but it was noisy and clanky.

These types of coils often get bashed by people that have never used them or rode in a car with them so why they do it is beyond me.

I just hope to provide some good reviews for the forum and help out members with their choices.

Ill be as honest and straightforward as I can be based on what I can compare it to.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

lol when you say KW are noisy what do you mean? clanking sounds? that's because of how you adjust the height on them.
Could you elaborate on that?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMRMEUP
Could you elaborate on that?
no that alters the spring travel (kw, bilstein). if you look closely at the coilover, you'll notice threads at the bottom of the shaft. to adj. height you actually turn the entire shaft and it'll make the coilover shorter but won't affect the spring travel.

kinda hard to explain but a better design.

he kinda answered it here

Quick Reply: Nex GT Coilovers