E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Nex AUX input and Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now discovered that there is no way to apply custom eq to an ipod, so making things sound more bass heavy in itunes is a waste of time.

But.. just swapped my Belkin cable for a low profile monster cable and ..... sound is much clearer and more stable.

I'm happy now.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Been using the ipod a bit more today and my conclusion is that the bass varies from track to track.

This is correct.... because not all music is recorded in the same studio, with the same gear, by the same engineers, or mastered the same way. The amount of bass your MP3 files have depends on how the music was recorded, mastered and encoded. The iPod itself has little to do with it, relatively. Sure you can adjust the EQ on the iPod, but you're better off just starting with high-quality source material.

I listen to music which I record myself in my home studio, and then I master it on my computer. I rarely encode my audio files, because I am a stickler for sound quality.... but when I do encode, I go with lossless formats. The combination of high-quaity recording, proper mastering and good encoding will get you the best results from your MP3 player.

If your music is lacking bass, I would suggest using some audio editing software to boost the levels rather than trying to use the limited iPod EQ. (I use SoundForge 8.0)
Old 03-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60, 520I, 2100 CC, Silver and Light Grey leather Interior, No Factory option, Standard I drive and audio system, 16' Alloy Wheels, Aux Input installed Jan 06. More Audio/Video Mods coming soon

I totally agree with you ACRIBB,

The Aux Input is really lack bass. I have tried using other audio sources (Portable TV, Portable CD and s cheap MP3 player) and all lack bass. :thumbsdown:
The bass is normal/OK when using the car's CD player.
Like you, I suspect there is something todo with that 300Kohm resistor or the PreAmp input of the car's audio system just lacks quality, like all other current BMW Sound systems.

If anybody can find out to how tweek this problem pls post.

In my opinion, there is no need at all to tweek your MP3 players/Ipods to boost the bass. They all sounds find originally.

Best regards,
David

Originally Posted by acribb' post='245007' date='Feb 24 2006, 06:01 AM
I'm glad others out there agree with me that the AUX input is total crap, in my opinion. The bass response is just not there. As I explained in an earlier thread, and how others have mentioned, I think it is the 300 ohm resistor that is on the aux input. Don't know the reasoning behind it, but I think it's unnecessary. When I get a chance, i'm going to take that off and see how the sound improves.

Stream, I know you always say your sound quality is just fine, but I humbly have to disagree with you.

We all are using quality line outputs and not the headphone out jack. The lack of bass is more apparent if you have added extra bass to your system. I added a 12" sub to my trunk to enhance the bass. The lack of bass through the aux input is greatly apparent. I did an a-b test with a burned cd from an ipod playlist vs. the actual playlist on the ipod. The bass is just not the same on the ipod. In my other car, with a cheap 100 dollar Dual mp3/wma capable cd player with aux input sounds beautiful with the ipod. No difference when switching from cd to aux there.

In conclusion, it is just another overpriced crappy product from BMW. It's just sad that I own a 55K car that won't play MP3s and the 200 dollar aux input I bought sounds like crap.

I don't think I should have to re-encode my mp3s at a louder gain, just to make up for the crappy aux input, or use the equalizer. Frankly, the equalizer distorts the music.

Sorry to rant, I am just so tired of seeing the same complaints, about the crappy aux ipod sound with weak bass, and then Stream always talking about how great it sounds. It just doesn't. Hook up some bass or turn your stereo up loud and you will see that there is a problem with the bass response in the aux input.

I don't even use my ipod any more in the BMW.

What a waste...
Old 03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='250314' date='Mar 5 2006, 11:24 PM
This is correct.... because not all music is recorded in the same studio, with the same gear, by the same engineers, or mastered the same way. The amount of bass your MP3 files have depends on how the music was recorded, mastered and encoded. The iPod itself has little to do with it, relatively. Sure you can adjust the EQ on the iPod, but you're better off just starting with high-quality source material.
I listen to music which I record myself in my home studio, and then I master it on my computer. I rarely encode my audio files, because I am a stickler for sound quality.... but when I do encode, I go with lossless formats. The combination of high-quaity recording, proper mastering and good encoding will get you the best results from your MP3 player.

If your music is lacking bass, I would suggest using some audio editing software to boost the levels rather than trying to use the limited iPod EQ. (I use SoundForge 8.0)
Thanks for this, one thing that is ODD is that for cd's that have similar bass characteristics, itunes encodes some with lot's of bass and others with very little. My ears suggest that this is because the ipod and itunes are weak on low frequency bass, but better at punchy (bass drum) sounds.

Problem with what you suggest is that I have 3000 mp3's on my ipod, what I really want is a way to APPLY a custom EQ setting to ALL of them automatically. I don't mind that I will still have variance so long as most of them have a bit more low frequency sound. Do you know of a suitable programme - will soundforge do this?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

Does anyone know of this type of volume leveling software that works with WMP10 or an Iriver?? My system sounds great with the Iriver hardwired in but I don't have prem sound and it's level is extrememly low.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by WebDefy' post='251925' date='Mar 9 2006, 04:16 AM
Does anyone know of this type of volume leveling software that works with WMP10 or an Iriver?? My system sounds great with the Iriver hardwired in but I don't have prem sound and it's level is extrememly low.
There's a volume levelling prog called MP3 gain that's mentioned at the start of this thread, which can boost or lower the volume of all of your MP3's.

What I want is a similar programme which I can use to run through my MP3's and apply a custom eq to boost the bass levels.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Thanks for this, one thing that is ODD is that for cd's that have similar bass characteristics, itunes encodes some with lot's of bass and others with very little. My ears suggest that this is because the ipod and itunes are weak on low frequency bass, but better at punchy (bass drum) sounds.

Part of the problem is iTunes. iTunes is, quite possibly, the worst media player ever... and the quality of its encoding is horrendous. Even their Lossless encoding is poor.

Yesterday I listened to a CD in my car, and was blown away by the difference in sound quality over the same CD recorded in lossless format to my iPod. Night vs. day. The bass was so much clearer and more defined on CD.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Members

My .02 on the Ipod, audio quality, and the best input solution I could find:

As a part time musician, music engineer, audiophile, etc., I'm really picky about sound quality. My ipod is mainly filled with aiff files (uncompressed) from my cd collection which I keep on my computer.

I followed Stream's installation procedure and had the monster line out/charger installed. Unfortunately, I ended up with engine noise and hard drive noise from the ipod itself amplified through the speakers.

I stumbled upon some web posts mentioning the impedance of the aux input and headphone outputs and came to the conclusion that the reason I have this issue and Stream does not is because I have a different generation ipod with a different impedance from my line out. (Or my installer botched the aux install...I understand impedance matching about as much as origami).

I used the headphone output but hated the sound quality compared to the monster line-out (with my engine off). I finally found another line out adapter called pocket dock and it works flawlessly (but no battery charger). Not only is the engine noise and ipod hardrive noise eliminated, but the volume level is much closer to the BMW's cd level (higher than the monster output).

For anyone else having bass loss or noise introduced to the line, it may be an impedance mismatch.

Although the ipod will never sound as good as Logic 7's cd player, because the ipod audio is transmitted through a 1/8" miniplug (horrible audio technology), I really like the convenience of the ipod again as the sound is very close to that of the cd player. There is a 15% decrease in audio quality compared to the cd player in terms of richness (hearing the full reverb or depth/space the music is in), bass, and imaging. But 99% of my friends would never hear the difference. If I really want to listen to my favorite music, I'll still burn a cd of it.

Here's the pocket dock link if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TA3J...5Fencoding=UTF8 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TA3J...5Fencoding=UTF8

Oh, and I too dislike the eq on the ipod...

__________________________________________________ _________________________
'06 530i Silver/Grey, Sport, Premium, Nav, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, aux install
Old 03-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will,

Have you had a chance to read this thread?
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23293
This will close the gap between CD and iPod/MP3 player.