E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New wheels Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 09:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Those of you that have changed your OEM rims to 19" or 20" rims did you have to do an alignment for the car? Or just a balance of the wheels / tires is enough?

FYI: I have active steering.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

I did the balancing & alignment.
Not sure if it was essential, but they did make minor adjustments on the alignment.
With Active Steering you must get BMW to do alignment.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:23 AM
Those of you that have changed your OEM rims to 19" or 20" rims did you have to do an alignment for the car? Or just a balance of the wheels / tires is enough?

[snapback]189314[/snapback]
EBMCS03, Cmon tell us what wheels are you getting!

Yeah, it is recommended that you go for wheel allignment once you upgrade to 19"/20" wheels..
Old 10-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

I went from 16s to 19s without an alignment. Car drives perfectly straight, steering wheel doesn't shake or anything. I don't know about 20s. It wouldn't hurt to have it done. I know if I had problems I would have done the alignment.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:23 AM

No alignment for me going to 19" PS2s. But, I am going in tomorrow to have my right front re-balanced. I am getting slight bumps at 75+. My dealer told me to hold off until I had several hundred miles since the PS2s sometimes apparently need some break-in time before all is well.
Old 10-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:30 PM
[quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:23 AM']Those of you that have changed your OEM rims to 19" or 20" rims did you have to do an alignment for the car? Or just a balance of the wheels / tires is enough?

No alignment for me going to 19" PS2s. But, I am going in tomorrow to have my right front re-balanced. I am getting slight bumps at 75+. My dealer told me to hold off until I had several hundred miles since the PS2s sometimes apparently need some break-in time before all is well.
[snapback]189727[/snapback]
[/quote]

Folks with the E46 M3 have had nothing but troubles with the PS2. Vibrations galore - I believe there was even a de facto recall of some of those tires as they were produced out of spec.

Every new set of tires, I follow this proceedure....

1. Receive tires from TireRack.
2. Have tires mounted and balanced at local TireRack installer
3. Drive imediately (usually with a shimmy) to high performance tire shop for:

High Speed (135+mph) on Car Balance
Tire Trueing(Shaving) on car as well

Drive home is smooth as glass.... I've have also read, trueing tires will actually extend tread life by reducing friction with road surface.

From my experience, the slight shimmy/vibration will not correct it's self as it causes uneven tread wear....

Take it for what it is worth ... probably not much.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 27 2005, 05:38 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 27 2005, 03:30 PM'][quote name='EBMCS03' date='Oct 27 2005, 12:23 AM']Those of you that have changed your OEM rims to 19" or 20" rims did you have to do an alignment for the car? Or just a balance of the wheels / tires is enough?

[snapback]189727[/snapback]
[/quote]

Folks with the E46 M3 have had nothing but troubles with the PS2. Vibrations galore - I believe there was even a de facto recall of some of those tires as they were produced out of spec.

Every new set of tires, I follow this proceedure....

1. Receive tires from TireRack.
2. Have tires mounted and balanced at local TireRack installer
3. Drive imediately (usually with a shimmy) to high performance tire shop for:

High Speed (135+mph) on Car Balance
Tire Trueing(Shaving) on car as well

Drive home is smooth as glass.... I've have also read, trueing tires will actually extend tread life by reducing friction with road surface.

From my experience, the slight shimmy/vibration will not correct it's self as it causes uneven tread wear....

Take it for what it is worth ... probably not much.
[snapback]189733[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks much ipse d. I'll post back how the next step works out. I may have to find a high-performance tire shop. I have never heard of one in Phoenix, but hopefully I'll find one if I need it.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Members

My Ride: FOR STARTERS I LOWERED THE CAR USING H&R SPRINGS. I CHANGED THE EMBLEMS TO BLACK AND CARBONFIBER ALSO ADDED CARBON FIBER DOOR SILL COVERS. I PUT ON A SET OF 22X9 - 22X10.5 AZA FORGED MYSTIC 2TONE BLACK AND MACHINED WRAPPED IN PIRELLI P ZERO NERO 245/30/22 AND 285/25/22. AC SCHNITZER REAR TRUNK SPOLER. ZENETTI BODY KIT CONSISTING OF A FRONT LIP, SIDE SKIRTS AND REAR APRON. RECENTLY ADDED 12INCH ANNIVERSERY EDITION JL SUB POWERED BY A JL 500X1 AMP IN A CUSTOM ENCLOSURE WRAPPED IN CARBON AND AUBURN VINLY WITH PLEXI. AUXILARY INPUT WITH IPOD ADAPTER.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:23 PM

YOU DONT HAVE TO DO A ALINMENT ON THE CAR. BUT WHEN GETTING NEW TIRES WEATHER YOUR REPLACING THE STOCK ONES OR UGRADING TO BIGGER ONES IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA. CAUSE SOMETIME YOUR ALINMENT CAN BE OF AND YOU WONT REALIZE IT UNTIL YOUR NEW TIRES ARE ON THE CAR AND THE CAR VERES TO THE RIGHT OR LEFT. BUT LIKE I SAID YOU DONT HAVE TO BUT ITS A GOOD IDEA TO. BALANCING HAS TO BE DONE WHEN MOUNTING ANY RIM TO A TIRE WEATHER ITS OLD OR NEW. WHAT BALANCING DOES IT CENTER THE WEIGHT OF THE RIM AND TIRE TO THE MIDDLE SO THERE IS NO OFFSET BALANCE THATS WHY YOU CAR TENDS TO VIBRATE AT CERTAIN SPEEDS IF THE BALANCING IS NOT CORRECTLY DONE. WELL I HOPE THIS HELPED GOODLUCK.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Had mine aligned, went from 17 to 19 on ps2's tire cost to much todo the wait and see thing, camber was slightly off per the printout and at only 90 bucks vrs. 325 per front tire and 375 for the rears peace of mind was well spent.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well balance of course... but alignment is questionable as my milage is very low still and havent hit anything to knock it out of alignment... I suppose I guess... whats another $100... Dang AS... cost so much more!

Quick Reply: New wheels Question.