E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New toys from Germany arrived!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 04:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After seeing the caliber of these doorboards installed in several E90's, i knew if i ever bought a vehicle which Jehnert offers kits for, that I wanted to get my hands on them. The finish is 100% OEM match. The drivers OEM baskets. Member 6spdcoupe is currently sourcing these as an dealer/installer/rep in the Tri-state, as there are very few in the country in contact with Jehnert. Last car i saw at his shop was a M3 with a TRIPLE midbass doorboard And to think...the E39's have QUAD midbass per door kits!

Man, i wish it was this simple when i had my Maxima.

There is more to find and see at:
http://www.jehnert.de/

Initially i was looking for the doorbaords themselves(as they can be purchased separately) and itching for an active setup, then realized they offered speaker packages to go with them so i decided to give them a shot with the intent of keeping it simple for now instead and keeping my budget below what it USED to be for speakers . A nice, simple passive 3 way set plus sub, a 4/5ch amp and little processing is all i need in my DD/commuter. The stock sound blows.

These look pretty good considering the package. I'd say these appear more to me like Rainbow Soundline/Contour Line quality mids with a Rainbow Profi sized diaphram on the tweeter. Look much more robust drivers as opposed to what BSW packages.

The croosover is 2ohm. A tiny amp running 2ohm stereo will slam these dual midbasses.

Here are a flood of picks:

Heres a Rainbow tweeter if you ever saw one..

Zee German..huh?

These things scream OEM...

Woofers come mounted already on the doorboard

SOLID knock, sound deadened from the factory

Beefy midranges...note the OEM tabs on the baskets

Now these might be a bit far from getting installed, unless i get the itch to wire it up to the OEM. Leaning towards a Zapco DC Reference amplifier to power the whole system, but theres a bit of a wait on their availability right now depending on model. This would be the simplest route offering a great deal of tuning flexibility without needing a separate processor in the mix.

Hope you likes. Custom built for our E60.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Members

Here is a picture of my infinite baffle setup on my Maxima. This is the beauty of having 60/40 folding rear seats, the oversized ski hole. Mount subs on a solid baffle and bolt onto the opening.

Amp rack to he suspended off rear deck

See it, now you dont, cover the subs up after with a simple beauty panel as a finisher and one is done.

I prefer IB for many reasons, sound quality being #1-you truly get to listen to the sound of a subwoofer without the coloration of a tuned enclosure and you need minimal power to have it reach its mechanical limits- efficiency at its best.

Reason #2- You dont have a HUGE, HEAVY MDF ENCLOSURE weighing your car and losing acceleration... and lowering your rear end and disrupting the look of your suspension-specially when you have the perfect look after a drop, to have it negate everything by wanting a diesel stereo. No reason to compromise, when there are options.

Reason 3- you can maintain the usefullness of your whole trunk and maintain a stealth look.

I remember back in the day seeing some E36's using IB subs behind the arm rest skihole. Was hoping to do a single 12" at minimal on this project. I just hope

Anyone come across any such installs on E60's to share? I'd love to see what is back there and achievable for reference.
I've searched high and low and I havent come across any IB installs on an E60 on this site. I'm curious as to how that back wall behind the seats looks like behind that panel.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Nice accessories you got there, can't wait for the write up on how they look/sound once installed
Old 08-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Time to get some work done !

Here are a couple shots of an e93 for reference of fitment and cosmetic match:

Old 08-20-2010, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Man those look great, do you mind me asking what the cost on those are? Do they sell just the panel without the speakers?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Members

Yes, they sell the panels without the speakers and you can choose to go with whatever you want as far as speakers go-obviously you are looking at a completely active system at that point and need a processor of sorts to address 2 side by side 6.5" ers. There are other dual midbass passive sets in the market, but there are not alot of choices altogether. I know Rainbow Germanium line has one, but not in traditional 3way form with a 4" midrange.

Its hard to give you an accurate number because I got a quote for lots of goodies and services bundled together(speakers, amp, wiring, install and my remote start). I can tell you Its not too bad at all though considering the finish quality for a BMW and killing the legwork of the baffle, etc...and all else involved if you tried or paid someone to fabricate something like this.

PM 6spdcoupe above or give him a ring as he can help you with that information, color options, etc..
Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Members

One thing to note about the crossovers- each kit has a custom crossover for each individual application.The crossover is not the same for a dual midbass set in an E60 as it would be for an Audi or Benz for example.

These crossovers were built and tested in an E60 cabin and tailored to the E60's speaker locations, distance between drivers, phase relationship, etc... Which is a very nice perk when going with a passive crossover. It makes it incredibly simple to just have to power a monster set of speakers, with just 2 chs of amplification (vs requiring 8 individual chs, more amplifiers and indidual chs of processing to go active)

Your standard passive sets sold in the aftermarket use generic crossover points and do not account for the specific vehicle parameters, as they are made for the masses,so tuning and optimizing them can be rather limited using oem locations.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Cool thanks for the info.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Members

No prob. The best part is once they are in and the wife steps into the car and not notice anything....until i crank it

"What do you mean? The system that came with this Bimmer rox! I was kidding all the times i said it blows.."...buahahaha...as the midbass is kicking her in the ribs
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E46 E60

This is interesting,
Do we have to drill the oem door panel in order to mount it?

Quick Reply: New toys from Germany arrived!!! :)