E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Stoppers

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
yes although i did not put alot of anti-squeal but the noise will still come back after you drive a little cars like the e60 do not like aftermarket pads one reason i got them was for the low dust and the price but i will take them off and put oem back om when winter comes cause ceramics are not good in the rain
Eh, I probably wouldnt go as far as saying that the BMW doesnt like aftermarket pads unless the pads are crap to begin with. Centric are good pads. I think maybe your rotor surfaces were probably in worse shape than mine when you put them on (just guessing)or you didn't lube them enough. If that's the case, you probably should've changed your rotors. I only had about 10k on my rotors when I changed the pads and they were still nice and smooth. Cold, rainy weather was never a problem for my other two cars and they have been running ceramics since day one. Best of luck to you, but I'd never go back to those dirty OEM pads.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

I would first try re-bedding the brakes as dust or a small object could have been stuck in between the pads and the rotors. This way it can burn off.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you should try re-installing the pads and grease all the contact points again fully. I started having constant squeaking noise and it has been gone subsequent to the reinstall. A lot of grease was applied on the metal contact points and squeak free for months now.

Originally Posted by Jim165
Eh, I probably wouldnt go as far as saying that the BMW doesnt like aftermarket pads unless the pads are crap to begin with. Centric are good pads. I think maybe your rotor surfaces were probably in worse shape than mine when you put them on (just guessing)or you didn't lube them enough. If that's the case, you probably should've changed your rotors. I only had about 10k on my rotors when I changed the pads and they were still nice and smooth. Cold, rainy weather was never a problem for my other two cars and they have been running ceramics since day one. Best of luck to you, but I'd never go back to those dirty OEM pads.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leese8080
I would first try re-bedding the brakes as dust or a small object could have been stuck in between the pads and the rotors. This way it can burn off.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you should try re-installing the pads and grease all the contact points again fully. I started having constant squeaking noise and it has been gone subsequent to the reinstall. A lot of grease was applied on the metal contact points and squeak free for months now.
i
Excellent points...definitely think he needs to re- lube, reinstall, and re-bed
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

UPDATE: So far so good, NO noises! Thank the Lord! Yes, bite is not as touchy as OEM but I easily got used to it as it is now driving like say an old e39 of mine, normal. Brake dust is very minimal and the pads do not rattle when hitting uneven pavement like my PBR Pagid Deluxes.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

I have a lot of experience with brakes and to be quite honest, do NOT try to take your pads off, lube this, spray brake quiet or apply paste without at resurfacing the rotor by a good shop first. They do not have to grind them down much at all, just make sure that they are true/flat. If that is not an options, use a circular brush on a drill on both sides of the rotor and lightly on the pads, then of course any type of brake quiet/stop squeek on the backs of the pads and you should be good to go. If you really want save time, drive the car slowly, apply the brakes with someone walking outside of it on both sides to see if it is only one side/wheel making the noise and work on that one only.

NOTE: I did NOT bed my pads like everyone instructs. I am NOT saying don't do it, I just didnt because I know that if installed properly, that is not mandatory. Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted by Jim165
i
Excellent points...definitely think he needs to re- lube, reinstall, and re-bed