E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i Sport package, Premium package, Xenon 2002 BMW X5 3.0 Modded to X5 4.6is (4.6is body kits, exhaust) Premium pkg., cold weather pkg. rear climate pkg., Xenon headlights, clear all around.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='578549' date='May 12 2008, 12:59 AM
AlphineWhite and NOVAe60,

AlphineWhite and all, thanks for the compliment.

Glad both of you are Lakers fans.

As for NOVAe60, thanks for the comment. young is relative and sound is relative too. No harm, my wife (who is young) used to think that it sounds like a modded Japanese racer, but she could never proved it. The videos and sound clips shows the sound of a BMW v8 reving at about 4000+ rpm. Normal driving is quieter.

Is it safe to assume that you are "older" and are also satisfy with BMW's OE engineer? If so, that's great.
FYI: A scientific fact is that hearing and sense of smell deteriorates with age (that's why most old people who smells are not aware of it). So the next time an older person "smells," give them the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, I'd love for you to post or link some Civic's sound clips that sounds like a BMW engine exhaust note to support your comment.
Well, i am not old at all, but not in teens or 20s either. Anyway, for a person who has never done or been into exhaust mod like me just like most bmw owners, that sounds loud. around this area modded hondas and the like with big exhaust openings sound "loud like that" ( i dont really know and understand the "note" of the exhaust sound, trust me, i dont). peope who are into racing, performance thing would appreciate the "loud" sound, but its just loud to me. sorry limited knowledge on this subject didn't result a good comment.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, SMG, Nav, Pro Logic, etc.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='578541' date='May 12 2008, 12:37 AM
Jones Exhaust are aluminized mufflers (SS last long). The only reason I went with them is because they are the only company with turbo tubes; that is, the 4" round mufflers are chambered (reducing sound by sound wave reflectiion cancellation) rather than the glasspacks, which reduces sound by absorption via a preforated straight through designs. A 4" round chambered will reduce sound much better than a 4" glasspack, in theory; the theory proved to be true.
Hey Bimmer32, that's a great looking/sounding setup for a very reasonable price. Would you say the sound is close to stock below 1500 RPM and then starts picks up quite a bit over stock once you are at 3000 or above? That's a good compromise.

You mentioned that the Jones' mufflers were the only ones that weren't straight through in design. What about this one from Remus (I think this is similar to SoCalM5Mang's setup):

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/single-tur...ev3-p-1132.html

I was looking around for the same thing, a chambered setup in the round 4" mufflers and thought that the Remus was the only one. I could be wrong as I'm just assuming that Mufflers labeled as turbo are not straight through, but chambered...
Old 05-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by FastLane' post='579682' date='May 13 2008, 03:48 PM
Hey Bimmer32, that's a great looking/sounding setup for a very reasonable price. Would you say the sound is close to stock below 1500 RPM and then starts picks up quite a bit over stock once you are at 3000 or above? That's a good compromise.

You mentioned that the Jones' mufflers were the only ones that weren't straight through in design. What about this one from Remus (I think this is similar to SoCalM5Mang's setup):

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/single-tur...ev3-p-1132.html

I was looking around for the same thing, a chambered setup in the round 4" mufflers and thought that the Remus was the only one. I could be wrong as I'm just assuming that Mufflers labeled as turbo are not straight through, but chambered...
At idle with AC or/off tranny engaged, the exhaust is a faint background sound. With the AC on and tranny engaged, and the engine hot (after some runs), it idles louder. Slip it into neutral, and the sound is back to faint background rumble sound. Below 1500 rpm, it's quiet as stock. On slow acceleration, the loudest would be around the 1500-2000 rpm. If I'm cruising at 40-45 mph below 1500 rpm, I can't even hear the exhaust note. If I don't downshift and accelerate to 60-65 mph (needle in the 1500-2000 rpm), the exhaust note gets.The loudest is around 50-55 mph slow acceleration, but on cruising, it is not annoying even to sensitive ears like mine. At 65 mph, you can hear the exhaust note like a faint background sound. . At 80-100 mph on 6th gear, it's also a faint background sound.

If you have a lead foot and a semi or aggressive acceleration shifting above 2000/2500 rpm, you've got free music to your ears. At 3000+ rpm shifts, you've got a grin on your face.

Remus 4" comes with the tip and a beefy price tag of $326.00 probably because it is stainless steel. Jone's Exhaust turbo tube is $20-$25 dollars aluminized and no tips. Put hot temp. paint on it and it should last 10+ years. Ask the manufacturer tech support to be sure. Magnaflow's 6" round "turbo" muffler is a straight-through design with a "gap" in the middle. See below

New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i-6xrf52x.jpg
Pic belongs to member on the IS forum.

I can't confirm Remus' 4.02" "turbo" design since they don't show it. I'm sure SoCalM5Mang's 4.5" round are pure straight-through (resonators) and not chambered.

Go to www.jonesexhaust.com and see their turbo tubes.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Great set-up! Sounds like you've got the best of both exhaust worlds - quiet when you want it to be, and loud when you punch it.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

B32 she sounds great! Congratulations on all your hard work it has definitely paid off! Be prepared to answer some PM's
Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Custom Matt White Paint by PLATINUM VIP | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | 6 Speed Manual | Premium Sound | Oem ///M5 Front Bumper | Oem ///M5 Rear Bumper | OEM ///M5 Side Skirts | Oem ///M5 Trunk Finisher | Oem ///M5 Fenders | 20% Tint | Vip Modular Wheels | 21x9.5 F | 21 x11 R | Magnaflow Exhaust | AAA Oval Tips | RPI Scoops | KW V2 Coilovers | Predator Ice V2 Angel Eyes | LED Side Turn Signal Markers ( Smoked ) Cross Drilled Rotors | CF Engine cover | Axxis Deluxe Break Pads | K&N Drop in

Originally Posted by r1racer' post='577002' date='May 8 2008, 10:05 PM
+1
Old 06-01-2008, 01:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='578541' date='May 12 2008, 06:37 AM
Any545, the center box resonator on the v8 series is a dual in dual out resonator box. The OE system actually has a Y split that merges into a 3" pipe and then back out to 2 OE mufflers. On te I6 exhaust system, it is dual in single out.

Jones Exhaust are aluminized mufflers (SS last long). The only reason I went with them is because they are the only company with turbo tubes; that is, the 4" round mufflers are chambered (reducing sound by sound wave reflectiion cancellation) rather than the glasspacks, which reduces sound by absorption via a preforated straight through designs. A 4" round chambered will reduce sound much better than a 4" glasspack, in theory; the theory proved to be true.

Most people think straight through designs are better than chambered because it is less restrict; this is true for high reving race cars with 500+ HP. And on the track, you don't really have to worry about drone or excess noise. So, I examined the BMW's OE system, and came up with this one. The result is a louder and more aggressive exhaust note without the annoying droning at any rpm level. The good thing with chambered mufflers is that the sound level will not change over time whereas with the glasspack, the sound will get louder over time when the "packing" get blown out . . . bits by bits.

You may gain some HP on the high end rpm with straight throughs, but you'll loss some torque on the low end and experience a louder sound. As such that the 545i/550i is a street sport sedan,doesn't have 500+ HP, and half and half city and highway environment, I figured that a more mellow exhaust note and sound such as this would be fitting of it's engine. Of course, that's just my opinion.

In any case, if anyone tells you that straight-throughs are always the best configuration, they may just be talking about high reving race engines.
B32, thanks for the feedback - this setup is well researched and the result really motivates in getting quads installed ! Sounds discreet and beefy at the same time with a deep tone when revved - just what I like.
Still having some trouble with my initial query though..the last OEM resonator (from what I can see) merges straight out into one big pipe - I can't see 2 distinct pipes coming out the back

also, what is the objective of the x pipe between the first jones resonators and last OEM resonator ?

New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i-545i_fotos_085cr.jpg
Old 06-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by andy545' post='592790' date='Jun 1 2008, 04:31 AM
B32, thanks for the feedback - this setup is well researched and the result really motivates in getting quads installed ! Sounds discreet and beefy at the same time with a deep tone when revved - just what I like.
Still having some trouble with my initial query though..the last OEM resonator (from what I can see) merges straight out into one big pipe - I can't see 2 distinct pipes coming out the back

also, what is the objective of the x pipe between the first jones resonators and last OEM resonator ?

Attachment 51720
On the i6, the center box resonator is a dual in - single out; that is, the y pipe is inside the resonator box. On the v8, the center box resonator is a dual in - dual out and then the y pipe is on the ouside following the center box resonator. Both are OE setup.

The x-pipe is to balance out the exhaust flow from both headers; it as "some" droning suppression effect - maybe about 1-3 db max. It's more of a performance component on NA engines (like nascars).

If you go dual (quad) setup with an i6, you will likely have to replace the center resonator box with a magnaflow dual in dual out like Wellison's DIY.

The reason I retained all the OE resonators as much as possible is because they are "engineered" for these BMW engines to suppress or reduce the drone (certain frequencies ~ around 90 hz). Adding two more resonators definitely help and won't hurt since they are straight throughs and weigh equivalent to or less than a 2 liter plastic soda bottle total.

Thanks mrfva, Dranged, and hiepsta.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='593240' date='Jun 2 2008, 06:25 AM
On the v8, the center box resonator is a dual in - dual out and then the y pipe is on the ouside following the center box resonator. Both are OE setup.
thanks again for the additional info B32, but in the foto above of my car, my centre resonator is of the 2 in 1 out type. I don't have a distinct Y pipe on the end of my resonator.

gonna look up the part no's of that item on our cars and see if there is a difference...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by andy545' post='593404' date='Jun 2 2008, 05:21 AM
thanks again for the additional info B32, but in the foto above of my car, my centre resonator is of the 2 in 1 out type. I don't have a distinct Y pipe on the end of my resonator.

gonna look up the part no's of that item on our cars and see if there is a difference...
Look again, that's a dual in dual out center box resonator on your 05 545i.

Quick Reply: New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i