E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I updated the first posting and attached the video for everyone to enjoy.

This project was literally a headache and challenge, but it was definitely a fun one and one with lots of learning experience.

Pic of under side clearance: As you can see, nothing hangs below the stock ground clearance.

New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i-undercarriage.jpg

This is my idea of a 325 HP sport sedan should sound like.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i' post='577306' date='May 9 2008, 10:47 AM
I used dual Magnaflow mufflers. One 14" and not sure of the other. It is actually installed on it side much like the RD Sport Exhaust. I will try to get a detailed write-up and pics this weekend. BTW, your car sounds great! Mine is actuallt too quiet on the highway. Sounds stock. I think I need to remove the two exisiting resonators.
CMON already...pictures and sound clip...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Looks and sounds great!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Sound refined and perfectly balanced - good job !

How did you connect 2 pipes to the rear of the OEM resonator (the last one close the diff) ? normally 2 go in and 1 big one comes out but I don't see any Y split...

also, I'm not aware of the Jones exhausts, would you have a few more undercarriage shots where it shows hop they look like and where you exactly situated them ?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Carbon Black 545i

Very nice
Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sport package, Premium package, Xenon 2002 BMW X5 3.0 Modded to X5 4.6is (4.6is body kits, exhaust) Premium pkg., cold weather pkg. rear climate pkg., Xenon headlights, clear all around.

wow, sounds great, just like modded civic. i love the sound, it reminds me the sound of my neighbor's teenager's civic circles around the cul-de-sac.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by NOVAE60' post='578253' date='May 11 2008, 10:29 AM
wow, sounds great, just like modded civic. i love the sound, it reminds me the sound of my neighbor's teenager's civic circles around the cul-de-sac.

B32, ignore this dude. Obviously he doesn't know how a BMW should sound like.

It sounds great IMO, a little deeper than stock.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i Sport package, Premium package, Xenon 2002 BMW X5 3.0 Modded to X5 4.6is (4.6is body kits, exhaust) Premium pkg., cold weather pkg. rear climate pkg., Xenon headlights, clear all around.

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='578451' date='May 11 2008, 09:53 PM
B32, ignore this dude. Obviously he doesn't know how a BMW should sound like.

It sounds great IMO, a little deeper than stock.
calm down, i am not offending anyone here. i really dont know what bmw should sound since all my bmws dont sound like that. and the fact that i gave example of the neighbor's civic is true, his honda sounds like that.i swear i am not lying. if you ask most bmws owners how their exhausts sound and how the modded exhaust sounds, they would just go "wow, thats loud" is that true? not all bmws owners are young and love the loud exhaust. as i said it sounds great and what it reminds me. sorry if it didn't come out right. anyway, i am a die hard lakers fan too, for 20 years. hopefully we beat utah with 2 home games left, or better we could beat them the next 2 games.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by andy545' post='578078' date='May 11 2008, 01:48 AM
Sound refined and perfectly balanced - good job !

How did you connect 2 pipes to the rear of the OEM resonator (the last one close the diff) ? normally 2 go in and 1 big one comes out but I don't see any Y split...

also, I'm not aware of the Jones exhausts, would you have a few more undercarriage shots where it shows hop they look like and where you exactly situated them ?
Any545, the center box resonator on the v8 series is a dual in dual out resonator box. The OE system actually has a Y split that merges into a 3" pipe and then back out to 2 OE mufflers. On te I6 exhaust system, it is dual in single out.

Jones Exhaust are aluminized mufflers (SS last long). The only reason I went with them is because they are the only company with turbo tubes; that is, the 4" round mufflers are chambered (reducing sound by sound wave reflectiion cancellation) rather than the glasspacks, which reduces sound by absorption via a preforated straight through designs. A 4" round chambered will reduce sound much better than a 4" glasspack, in theory; the theory proved to be true.

Most people think straight through designs are better than chambered because it is less restrict; this is true for high reving race cars with 500+ HP. And on the track, you don't really have to worry about drone or excess noise. So, I examined the BMW's OE system, and came up with this one. The result is a louder and more aggressive exhaust note without the annoying droning at any rpm level. The good thing with chambered mufflers is that the sound level will not change over time whereas with the glasspack, the sound will get louder over time when the "packing" get blown out . . . bits by bits.

You may gain some HP on the high end rpm with straight throughs, but you'll loss some torque on the low end and experience a louder sound. As such that the 545i/550i is a street sport sedan,doesn't have 500+ HP, and half and half city and highway environment, I figured that a more mellow exhaust note and sound such as this would be fitting of it's engine. Of course, that's just my opinion.

In any case, if anyone tells you that straight-throughs are always the best configuration, they may just be talking about high reving race engines.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NOVAE60' post='578537' date='May 11 2008, 11:25 PM
calm down, i am not offending anyone here. i really dont know what bmw should sound since all my bmws dont sound like that. and the fact that i gave example of the neighbor's civic is true, his honda sounds like that.i swear i am not lying. if you ask most bmws owners how their exhausts sound and how the modded exhaust sounds, they would just go "wow, thats loud" is that true? not all bmws owners are young and love the loud exhaust. as i said it sounds great and what it reminds me. sorry if it didn't come out right. anyway, i am a die hard lakers fan too, for 20 years. hopefully we beat utah with 2 home games left, or better we could beat them the next 2 games.
AlphineWhite and NOVAe60,

AlphineWhite and all, thanks for the compliment.

Glad both of you are Lakers fans.

As for NOVAe60, thanks for the comment. young is relative and sound is relative too. No harm, my wife (who is young) used to think that it sounds like a modded Japanese racer, but she could never proved it. The videos and sound clips shows the sound of a BMW v8 reving at about 4000+ rpm. Normal driving is quieter.

Is it safe to assume that you are "older" and are also satisfy with BMW's OE engineer? If so, that's great.
FYI: A scientific fact is that hearing and sense of smell deteriorates with age (that's why most old people who smells are not aware of it). So the next time an older person "smells," give them the benefit of the doubt.

In any case, I'd love for you to post or link some Civic's sound clips that sounds like a BMW engine exhaust note to support your comment.

Quick Reply: New Quad Exhaust Setup for 545i/550i