E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New OEM Rear Wing & Black Roundels

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: [N62]

Great pics! Maybe we should get a Chicago meet next month? I'm not that far.. Has there ever been one?
Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='956369
Very nice pics! I have photoshop but I have no idea how to use HDR, is there any guide for it?
Just google photoshop hdr tutorial, there are plenty around. You could even try that same search on youtube - I bet someone's recorded a video of how to do it.

Personally, I do my HDRs manually, rather than using a plug-in, or the tutorial techniques. I simply load each image as a separate layer and use the delete tool to make parts of a layer transparent. Also, the quickest way to get a HDR effect is to use photoshop's shadow/highlight adjustment tool. It'll tone down the bright parts of the image while bringing out the detail from the dark parts of an image. A 20 second go with that tool and it can look like a proper HDR

To save anyone googling HDR, it means High Dynamic Range. It's something our eyes can do when looking at something - take a balanced view of the bright areas and the dark areas and see everything. Cameras aren't too good at that - you either get (for example) a perfectly exposed sky and the landscape is dark, or a perfectly exposed landscape and the sky is super bright. So a common technique is to take multiple images from the same place (hence the tripod) and load them into photoshop and get it to merge them together and get the best bits from each image. That's where that shadow/highlight adjustment comes in. As long as you haven't over-exposed the bright parts of the image too much, you can end up with a near-HDR image.

I use Corel Photopaint 8 for my most common image manipulation work (just because I'm used to it) and I have Photoshop CS3 for the more advanced stuff. I should use CS3 all the time but I'm still something of a noob with it. I managed to get myself a free copy of it, otherwise I would still be using Corel PP8 full time.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='956500' date='Jul 28 2009, 03:27 AM
+1, I'm also not a fan of spoilers (trunk or roof) but that does look like it belongs.

The black/white roundels look great. I've been tempted. I think they probably look best on black or white cars.

Just google photoshop hdr tutorial, there are plenty around. You could even try that same search on youtube - I bet someone's recorded a video of how to do it.

Personally, I do my HDRs manually, rather than using a plug-in, or the tutorial techniques. I simply load each image as a separate layer and use the delete tool to make parts of a layer transparent. Also, the quickest way to get a HDR effect is to use photoshop's shadow/highlight adjustment tool. It'll tone down the bright parts of the image while bringing out the detail from the dark parts of an image. A 20 second go with that tool and it can look like a proper HDR

To save anyone googling HDR, it means High Dynamic Range. It's something our eyes can do when looking at something - take a balanced view of the bright areas and the dark areas and see everything. Cameras aren't too good at that - you either get (for example) a perfectly exposed sky and the landscape is dark, or a perfectly exposed landscape and the sky is super bright. So a common technique is to take multiple images from the same place (hence the tripod) and load them into photoshop and get it to merge them together and get the best bits from each image. That's where that shadow/highlight adjustment comes in. As long as you haven't over-exposed the bright parts of the image too much, you can end up with a near-HDR image.

I use Corel Photopaint 8 for my most common image manipulation work (just because I'm used to it) and I have Photoshop CS3 for the more advanced stuff. I should use CS3 all the time but I'm still something of a noob with it. I managed to get myself a free copy of it, otherwise I would still be using Corel PP8 full time.

Yes, what I usually do is take a single layer, (so far), and create an action that adjusts brightness, contrast, shadow, and color. Then apply that action to each sample. While it isn't HDR, it makes the picture crisp and colorful more so than what it normally would be.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lambda28' post='956477' date='Jul 28 2009, 02:41 AM
Great pics! Maybe we should get a Chicago meet next month? I'm not that far.. Has there ever been one?

I would love to have one out here!!! The Midwest meets are always in like...... Minnesota, wtf?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

looking good! congrats!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='957319' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM
I would love to have one out here!!! The Midwest meets are always in like...... Minnesota, wtf?
+1
Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i sport package black on black, Dinan intake, Throttle body, Stage 3 programming Mtech body kit, 172 wheels wrapped in ps2's, 2nd set of wheels Breyton Race Gts silver also on ps2's....waiting on stoptech big brake kit, and dinan exhaust...

ummmm, looking at your car, i think i was driving behind you a couple weeks ago, i just noticed you were from chicago, i saw u at rand/53 on the exit, lol, i remember the blacked out 530 on the back of your car.......we should def do a chicago meet soon!!!!!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by black07' post='958235' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:44 PM
ummmm, looking at your car, i think i was driving behind you a couple weeks ago, i just noticed you were from chicago, i saw u at rand/53 on the exit, lol, i remember the blacked out 530 on the back of your car.......we should def do a chicago meet soon!!!!!
Oh yea, that was probably me!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i sport package black on black, Dinan intake, Throttle body, Stage 3 programming Mtech body kit, 172 wheels wrapped in ps2's, 2nd set of wheels Breyton Race Gts silver also on ps2's....waiting on stoptech big brake kit, and dinan exhaust...

lol, yeah, i blacked out my 550i on the trunklid cuz of you! sorry for biting your style man.....
Old 07-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

looks good howi despite what other people say

Quick Reply: New OEM Rear Wing & Black Roundels