E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Here... 2008 528xi

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 04:47 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2013 BMW 535i
Model Year: 2013
Engine: 3.0L N55

Originally Posted by neilv
Curious why you went shorter than stock? When the swaybar is the bottom point you'd want to go longer to keep the bar horizontal at ride height; this would also give even more clearance to the axle.

Edit: I'm guessing the coilover mounting hole is in a different location vs stock?
It's my understanding, when lowering a car with coilovers... it's best to go shorter with end links. Going longer will give you less of a 90 degree angle with the sway bar. And yes, the location for mounting the top end of the end links is slightly different, not to mention being lowered 2 inches or so... factory links would be too long. Being AWD... they don't make anything , not that I could find, for any type of shortened or adjustable end links. So I was a bit confused and hesitant when my BC Racing kit came with these shortened end links for an XI model. So now I'm at the point where stock is too long and whatever these are, too short. With George's help at Whiteline, we found that the new Supra/Z4 adjustable end links should work. Also, they are thick and beefy... should help a lot. Pretty much became their test lab rat. I'll update as soon as I have a chance to install them.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:53 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

On suspension like this where the bar is the bottom end of the endlink; when you lower the car, hub+shock will move upwards in the wheelwell. The endlink is fixed so it brings the swaybar up with it. So to bring the bar to where it was stock(horizonatal), you have to lengthen it ~ the amount you lowered the car. On a double wishbone car like my miata(the bar is above the mounting point on the control arm) you would shorten it.

Of course if your coils change the position of it, then that throws that whole thing out the window. I wonder how many of the coils changed the position
Old 01-15-2021, 05:05 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by neilv
On suspension like this where the bar is the bottom end of the endlink; when you lower the car, hub+shock will move upwards in the wheelwell. The endlink is fixed so it brings the swaybar up with it. So to bring the bar to where it was stock(horizonatal), you have to lengthen it ~ the amount you lowered the car. On a double wishbone car like my miata(the bar is above the mounting point on the control arm) you would shorten it.

Of course if your coils change the position of it, then that throws that whole thing out the window. I wonder how many of the coils changed the position
I understand where you're coming from. I guess it depends on the kit.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...MG8otSenHoQKJR

Regardless, if needing longer or shorter... us E60 XI models don't have any options. Hopefully... we do now...

Old 01-24-2021, 10:09 PM
New Members

Was able to get a few things done. I installed an Ultra Racing strut brace and the Whiteline adjustable sway bar end links. Install went smooth and it fit perfect. I was about an inch longer (screwed in all the way at shortest adjustment) than the end links I had from BC Racing. More than enough room to give my sway bar clearance to the front axles. They are about twice as thicker than the other end links and stock end links. At the same time during this install, I also installed PowerFlex polyurethane thrust arm bushings & ball joints and new lower control arms. Haven't had an alignment yet, but taking the car on a test drive... it feels amazing! Steering is so responsive and solid.

Ultra Racing Strut Tower Brace...

Whiteline Suspension's... Adjustable sway bar end links for the new A90 Toyota Supra / BMW Z4. Fully adjustable from 15 - 17 inches in length. I set them all the way short to 15 inches.

Side by side comparison... it was able to swing the sway bar down just enough for it to have plenty of clearance from the front axles. Stock length is too long measuring about 17 inches.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:50 AM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Aweseome! Glad those endlinks did the trick for you. How's noise/vibration/harshness with the poly bushings? I've never used any poly bushings myself, and doubt I ever would, but curious about others' experiences because there always seems to be people who say they love them and others who say they reverted because of discomfort. I replaced my front control arm bushings last year (Febi or Lemforder, forget which) and noticed no difference on anything so maybe my originals were fine.
The following users liked this post:
PinoIX (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 02:10 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Aweseome! Glad those endlinks did the trick for you. How's noise/vibration/harshness with the poly bushings? I've never used any poly bushings myself, and doubt I ever would, but curious about others' experiences because there always seems to be people who say they love them and others who say they reverted because of discomfort. I replaced my front control arm bushings last year (Febi or Lemforder, forget which) and noticed no difference on anything so maybe my originals were fine.
This is the first time I've run with poly bushings. Originally I was going to order Lemforder Thrust arms from Bimmerworld for about $210 ea. I ordered the new ball joints and locking washers from ECS Tuning for about $110 a pair... and new control arms from FCP Euro for about $150 ea. I was curious about the feel for poly's, so I ordered them from PowerFlex for $117 a pair. Did save me money. As for the feel, my steering feels so tight and rigid. It actually is comfortable, but very responsive and solid. Obviously I can't really say if it was just the poly's, since I had installed new ball joints and control arms too along with the new adjustable end links from Whiteline. So far I love them. I was worried about the noises that some people have said, but I've experienced nothing so far. Already did about 400 miles, with a little bit of spirited driving, since I've installed everything. I guess time will tell. I did use a good amount of that poly bushing grease they supply with it. I figure several thousand miles down the road, all I'll have to do for maintenance is re-grease them if needed, especially if they start making squeaking sounds.

Last edited by PinoIX; 02-05-2021 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:32 AM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Any new updates on the car? I know you were piling on all the updates a while back at a furious rate. Or are you bored already?
Old 08-29-2021, 08:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
Any new updates on the car? I know you were piling on all the updates a while back at a furious rate. Or are you bored already?
LoL. I slowed down a lil bit. Trying to balance my hobbies of cars, guns, and paintball... gets expensive!
Current photo....

The following users liked this post:
08535 (08-30-2021)