E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New G-Tech Pros SS G-Meter Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by vnod' post='213370' date='Dec 19 2005, 06:21 PM
Hi Friends:

From looking at the results shown in the pic of the Passport GT2 G-meter posted by realtyman on my old VTech results thread, I realized that his meter gives lots of results that are not available on my VTech Pro SS G-meter without doing a full ? mile. So, I ordered a GT2 and received it a short while ago today.

After setting it up, I took the Mind-Candy 545i out for 2 runs. The first run seemed close to perfect, while a bit of not-too-bad wheel spin showed up in the second. The runs were done on the same asphalt ?strip,? but several blocks apart. My second run should not have been as good as my first, IMO, since I did not let my car cool at all after the first run. But, the effects of this factor, if any, probably were minimal (see below).

I think that my results confirm what I said earlier. My new location definitely provides better traction than the one I had been using?which resulted in some good and some not as good results. My first run?s results are better than my best with my Pro SS, while the second was slightly slower than with my Pro SS. Nevertheless, I think Pro SS and GT2 results are comparable since I got my best (by .2 secs.) Z06 results in the new location earlier today using my Pro SS.

My setup values for the time/speed related GT2 settings are as follows.

1. Rollout distance for both 0 to 60 and the ? mile?12??which is an acceptable standard that typically is used on drag strips and in magazine tests. Note that my manual indicates that an increase/decrease of 3? in the rollout distance will result in ?a .04 faster/slower ? mile time. So, in principle, my GT2 times should be about .16 secs. faster to, for example, 60 than if I had assumed no rollout.

2. Pitch correction?1.9?I used this correction factor because the GT2 manual indicates that, in trying to develop pitch correction factors for the C5 Z06 and the Audi S4, values of 1.5 and 2.0 had worked well. Note that my manual indicates that an increase/decrease in the pitch correction factor of .2 will result in ?a .03 slower/faster ? mile time. So, I am trying to be conservative in setting the pitch correction.

My setup values for the flywheel-horse power (FHP)-related GT2 settings are as follows.

1. Test weight of car, driver, and fluids?4,100 lbs. My FHP values may be high, low, or about right given that I pretty much guessed at my test weight. My weight estimate was 3,814 (base weight) ? 172 (equivalent sprung weight savings from wheel/tires, etc) + 175 lbs. (me, my clothes, and my book bag, etc.) + 70 lbs. (fluids) + 213 lbs (items not included in the base weight-besides me and fluids?comfort seats, AS, 18? wheels and tires, and who knows what else. In this regard, the recent Car and Driver test used a test weight of 4,150 lbs for a car equipped similarly to mine, as it came from the factory, but with a heavier driver (20 lbs), less fuel (maybe 60 lbs), no comfort seats (maybe an incremental weight of 100 lbs), and no book bag (10 lbs). Adjusting for these factors yields a second extimate of my cars weight of 4,150 - 20 - 60 + 100 +10 = 4,180.

2. Drive-train loss?.20?because of my Steptronic?the value recommended by my manual for an automatic transmission

3. Rolling resistance--.13?the GT2 default?left it alone since I had no idea what better to assume

4. Aerodynamic drag?6.5?I assumed a value .3 lower than the one that worked well for Passport on the Audi S4.

I really like the GT2 because of the data it provides without doing a full 1/4 mile. Here are my complete results for both tests.

The heading for what's below are: Test Statistic 1st Test 2nd Test

0-80 8.72 8.99
0-70 6.82 6.99
0-60 5.14 5.33
0-50 3.89 3.99
0-40 2.82 2.87
0-30 1.72 1.75
0-20 0.97 1.02
0-10 0.32 0.35
330 Feet 5.75 5.79
60 Feet 1.99 2.02
1/8 Mile Time 8.78 8.92
1/8 Mile Speed 80.40 79.50
HP @ Speed 333 @ 57 321 @ 54
Ave HP 282.00 273.00

Assuming a weight of 4,180 lbs for my car yields HP @ speed values of:
HP @ Speed 340 @ 57 327 @ 54
Ave HP 287.00 278.00
Assessment of Value of Mods

Given the above HP values, the implication is that my modest mods have not made a substantial difference. In this regard, one of my very recent caluculations implies that my mods may have produced a FHP equivalent increase of (for related material, see "Mind Candy ....":

28.2 = 17.2 (lighter wheels/tires) + 5 (Dinan throttle body) + 6 (B&B exhaust).

Conventionally, it is common to think of a 10 FHP equivalent increase on medium HP cars as translating into a .1 second improvement in the 1/4 mile time. So, we might equate my 28.2 value with about a .282 savings in 1/4 mile time. Now, the problem is how much of this .282 would be realized by 60 mph? Since the 545i Steptronic spends about 40% of its time getting to 60--i.e., approximately {[(5.2 + 5.4 + 5.5) / 3] / [(13.7 + 13.7 + 13.8)]}, I am going to assume that .4 (.282) = .113 is realized by 60 mph. If true, then one would expect my average 0 to 60 run [(5.14 + 5.33) / 2 = 5.235] to be about .113 faster than (5.2 + 5.4 + 5.5) = 5.3667. Surprisingly, the difference in the two averages is close to .113--actually .137 = 5.3667 - 5.235.

I am amazed that the above calculations actually confirm the idea that my mods have made about a 28 (.113 /.4) to 34 (.137 / .4) FHP equivalent difference--which would imply 325 + 28 or 34 = 353 to 359 FHP equivalent for the Mind-Candy 545i. I emphasize that this whole discussion and my calculations must be taken with many grains of salt.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Members

Just a side note on the 5.8 second 0-60 that BMW claims. They run all their tests with traction control ON. This slows the times down significantly.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Salespunk' post='214831' date='Dec 23 2005, 02:06 AM
Just a side note on the 5.8 second 0-60 that BMW claims. They run all their tests with traction control ON. This slows the times down significantly.
Yes, it would slow them down significantly. If what you say is true, then that would explain the seemingly slow times. Where did you get your information? And, are the BMW times averages or best times?
Old 12-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Donv,

If 0-60 and overall off the line performance is your goal, then something like a LSD or some gearing would have the biggest impact.

I see that you have the Dinan CAI on order. I'm sure it's a fine piece, but unless you have a full cat-back exhaust, headers and perhaps some high flow cats, I personally wouldn't expect much of a gain in hp regardless of the claims. The biggest difference you'll notice will likely be the sound.

If you're willing to spend the money on something like a LSD, try discovery automotive as they're quite reputable. http://www.discovery-automotive.com/portal...c_Content&id=94
Old 12-23-2005, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='215026' date='Dec 23 2005, 05:15 PM
Donv,

If 0-60 and overall off the line performance is your goal, then something like a LSD or some gearing would have the biggest impact.

I see that you have the Dinan CAI on order. I'm sure it's a fine piece, but unless you have a full cat-back exhaust, headers and perhaps some high flow cats, I personally wouldn't expect much of a gain in hp regardless of the claims. The biggest difference you'll notice will likely be the sound.

If you're willing to spend the money on something like a LSD, try discovery automotive as they're quite reputable. http://www.discovery-automotive.com/portal...c_Content&id=94
Thanks heezy. Nope, I'm only interested in bolt-ons. Straight-line acceleration is my goal, but I have no interest in going all out. I'm just tinkering. And, I trust Dinan's claim. For example, Dinan certainly is not providing exaggerated claims for its throttle body and exhaust. If I get a measurable difference out of the Dinan CAI, then I'll be satisfied. And, I should be able to detect any effects of the Dinan CAI on average. So, at least, we all will have some idea if the CAI makes a difference. I appreciate your interest. Let me know if you have other thoughts.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Members

My information came from service tech that I ride with sometimes. He has also told me that internal numbers for the 550i 6 spd show it as quick (4.8 seconds) as the e39 M5 to 60 MPH.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by vnod' post='212991
I know of only one other who has tried a G-meter--realtyman (B&B exhaust, lighter wheels and tires, but no throttle body).
Actually, that run was with the stock wheels & tires.
My light weight BBS RK's are my winter set up.
Thanks for letting me know. I updated my original post for your new information.

I am going to have my stock wheels and RTFs on starting the day before we leave for Xmas in my car. I am going to get a few runs in with them on my car hoping for improved traction that is not offset by the increased weight. It would be interesting if the heavier wheels and tires are better in coldish weather in Phoenix on asphalt. Be sure and post any results you get with your lighter wheels and tires on this thread. We appear to be the only ones doing any testing. Well, actually there is one more who has not made his results public.
[/quote]

I finally found some speed freaks like myself.I bought a Passport GT2 timer earlier this year and have lots of info.I posted back in june or july but didn't generate much interest.all my data is at work,i'll bring it home next week and post it.it will be a verry long post.I did take my 545 to an NHRA sanctioned drag strip and verified that the GT2 timer is extremely accurate,the results that day sucked as the weather conditions were terrible,hot and very humid with very low barometer(right before a thunder storm).I only got one run before it rained and the GT2 timer info was almost exactly the same as drag strip.biggest difference was .04 seconds.I don't recall all info now but will post it next week.I remember my best 0-60 times,5.00,5.05,and 5.17 .best 1/8 mile was 8.75.same as you on my test road not enough room for 1/4 mile run.I know the 0-60 runs are hard to believe but I have complete faith in the GT2 timer.Iam an old drag racer and after many trial starting methods I was able to achieve these times.with DTC off I brake torque to 1200 RPM,release brake and ease to full throttle(instant full throttle results in much tire smoke).I start in M1 and shift manually but the trans shifts at redline regardless of my input.I will post all data on my street and strip runs next week.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Salespunk' post='215129
Originally Posted by vnod' post='212991' date='Dec 18 2005, 09:44 PM
[quote name='realtyman' post='212803' date='Dec 18 2005, 10:01 AM']
I know of only one other who has tried a G-meter--realtyman (B&B exhaust, lighter wheels and tires, but no throttle body).
Thanks for letting me know. I updated my original post for your new information.

I am going to have my stock wheels and RTFs on starting the day before we leave for Xmas in my car. I am going to get a few runs in with them on my car hoping for improved traction that is not offset by the increased weight. It would be interesting if the heavier wheels and tires are better in coldish weather in Phoenix on asphalt. Be sure and post any results you get with your lighter wheels and tires on this thread. We appear to be the only ones doing any testing. Well, actually there is one more who has not made his results public.
I finally found some speed freaks like myself.I bought a Passport GT2 timer earlier this year and have lots of info.I posted back in june or july but didn't generate much interest.all my data is at work,i'll bring it home next week and post it.it will be a verry long post.I did take my 545 to an NHRA sanctioned drag strip and verified that the GT2 timer is extremely accurate,the results that day sucked as the weather conditions were terrible,hot and very humid with very low barometer(right before a thunder storm).I only got one run before it rained and the GT2 timer info was almost exactly the same as drag strip.biggest difference was .04 seconds.I don't recall all info now but will post it next week.I remember my best 0-60 times,5.00,5.05,and 5.17 .best 1/8 mile was 8.75.same as you on my test road not enough room for 1/4 mile run.I know the 0-60 runs are hard to believe but I have complete faith in the GT2 timer.Iam an old drag racer and after many trial starting methods I was able to achieve these times.with DTC off I brake torque to 1200 RPM,release brake and ease to full throttle(instant full throttle results in much tire smoke).I start in M1 and shift manually but the trans shifts at redline regardless of my input.I will post all data on my street and strip runs next week.
[/quote]Great grogan. I am very glad you have joined in, and I am looking forward to seeing your data. Is your car completely stock? Does it have light wheels/tires? Also, how many miles do you have? How did increased mileage affect the perceived performance of your car? I have only about 5k miles.

And, I believe your times--especially using brake torquing. I have not yet updated but I now have had a 5.07. I'll update soon. I still am not willing to use brake torque. I have enough traction problems without doing so, and I don't want to hurt the car. Do you tend to have traction problems? What sort of surface have you been able to do your best on?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,manufactured 2-27-08,delivered 4-2-08.Platinum bronze,natural brown interior,light poplar trim,cold weather package,heated rear seats,HD radio

Originally Posted by vnod' post='215196
My information came from service tech that I ride with sometimes. He has also told me that internal numbers for the 550i 6 spd show it as quick (4.8 seconds) as the e39 M5 to 60 MPH.
Interesting. And, what about the average versus best run question I ask? Finally, do they use a roll out distance?

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='215178
Originally Posted by realtyman' post='212803' date='Dec 18 2005, 10:01 AM

[/quote]Great grogan. I am very glad you have joined in, and I am looking forward to seeing your data. Is your car completely stock? Does it have light wheels/tires? Also, how many miles do you have? How did increased mileage affect the perceived performance of your car? I have only about 5k miles.

And, I believe your times--especially using brake torquing. I have not yet updated but I now have had a 5.07. I'll update soon. I still am not willing to use brake torque. I have enough traction problems without doing so, and I don't want to hurt the car. Do you tend to have traction problems? What sort of surface have you been able to do your best on?
[/quote]

Great to here from you vnod.my car is a totaly stock 545 without sport package and standard goodyear RSA tires(not runflats).had about 15000 miles when i ran these tests.i don't know if the miles improved performance or i just became more familiar with the car.when i get my data from work i'll also give you the setup i have in the GT2.i do know that i used a 10" rollout and i think all my other settings were the same as yours.also i saw a question on how some of the magazines obtain their times.C & D uses equipment that does not have a rollout thats why their times are about .3 sec slower than others.note that the quarter mile speed is about the same,rollout does not affect speed.I tried a couple of runs with 0 rollout,they consistantlt about .3 sec slower.the road i test on is rough blacktop and may have a slight grade to it thats why i test in both directions.i do have some traction problems but the method i previously described works best.torque braking to 1200 RPM should not cause a problem you only do it for a few seconds.heat is usually the cause for transmission failures but this causes very little heat unless you torque brake for several minutes.i find that torque braking does't shock the tires loose as easily as just mashing the gas.just curious about your age,i am 65 but don't let that fool you the need for speed and acceleration never goes away.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by grogan545' post='215239' date='Dec 24 2005, 12:05 PM
Great to here from you vnod.my car is a totaly stock 545 without sport package and standard goodyear RSA tires(not runflats).had about 15000 miles when i ran these tests.i don't know if the miles improved performance or i just became more familiar with the car.when i get my data from work i'll also give you the setup i have in the GT2.i do know that i used a 10" rollout and i think all my other settings were the same as yours.also i saw a question on how some of the magazines obtain their times.C & D uses equipment that does not have a rollout thats why their times are about .3 sec slower than others.note that the quarter mile speed is about the same,rollout does not affect speed.I tried a couple of runs with 0 rollout,they consistantlt about .3 sec slower.the road i test on is rough blacktop and may have a slight grade to it thats why i test in both directions.i do have some traction problems but the method i previously described works best.torque braking to 1200 RPM should not cause a problem you only do it for a few seconds.heat is usually the cause for transmission failures but this causes very little heat unless you torque brake for several minutes.i find that torque braking does't shock the tires loose as easily as just mashing the gas.just curious about your age,i am 65 but don't let that fool you the need for speed and acceleration never goes away.
Shhhh!!!! 64. I think we 50's and 60's guys knew the good old days and ended up a bit more "hooked" on striaght-line performance that some of the younger guys. Having seen so many decades, and having enjoyed them all hugely, I still would vote for the 50's as being the best.

That's good to know about C&D. Sometimes I see mention of the mags procedures, but then forget what they said eventually. Interesting about what you say about rollout--.3 sec. Three tenths is the 1 foot roll-out rule of thumb I used to carry around, but the GT2 manual indicates that one should allow about .04 sec. per every 3 inches of rollout--which would mean about .16, rather than .3, for one foot of roll out. Oh well.

Also, you say that roll out won't affect 1/4 mile speed. Do you mean it won't affect it noticeably. I say "noticeably" because you still get a slight running start, which would affect speed a very small amount, if a roll-out distance is used. Right? Wrong? Why not?

Quick Reply: New G-Tech Pros SS G-Meter Discussion