E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New 550i

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I picked up my new 550i on Thursday and was I happy to find this web site. I have a history of modifing my cars and tried to control myself with this one. It looks like after finding this site that will not be possible.

My car is equiped as follows:
sapphire black/black interior
steptronic(automatic)
sport package
parktronic

Here are my questions.
Wheels I'm thinking about.
Maya MRS
Dinan
Antera type 349
Any thoughts on these, or others I should consider.

I saw something about adding the SMG paddle shifters to the steering wheel. The post said something about a required steering wheel or air bag. Can someone explain what I need to do?

Body kit.
I would like to do something other than the M5 kit. I don't want to do a M5 lookalike. I want something that is subtle and not crazy expensive. Again, Any suggestions will be greatly appricated.

Exhaust?

Lowering.
I would like to drop the car a little bit. I don't want to do anything to hurt the handling. Is it possble to get good results with spring only, I'm not ready to commit to a full coilover swap.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I very much look foward to enjoying this site and my new car.

Mitch
Old 04-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchell' post='266583' date='Apr 8 2006, 07:31 PM
Hello, I picked up my new 550i on Thursday and was I happy to find this web site. I have a history of modifing my cars and tried to control myself with this one. It looks like after finding this site that will not be possible.

My car is equiped as follows:
sapphire black/black interior
steptronic(automatic)
sport package
parktronic

Here are my questions.
Wheels I'm thinking about.
Maya MRS
Dinan
Antera type 349
Any thoughts on these, or others I should consider.

I saw something about adding the SMG paddle shifters to the steering wheel. The post said something about a required steering wheel or air bag. Can someone explain what I need to do?

Body kit.
I would like to do something other than the M5 kit. I don't want to do a M5 lookalike. I want something that is subtle and not crazy expensive. Again, Any suggestions will be greatly appricated.

Exhaust?

Lowering.
I would like to drop the car a little bit. I don't want to do anything to hurt the handling. Is it possble to get good results with spring only, I'm not ready to commit to a full coilover swap.

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I very much look foward to enjoying this site and my new car.

Mitch
Hi Mitch,

For SMG Paddle Shift, you'll need:
1. M5 SMG Paddle for both sides
2. M5 or SMG Sport steering wheel
3. If you DON'T have round airbag, you'll needed new round airbag, and put the other airbag on eBay to recover the cost
4. My kit which include all interface with Steptronic, paddle, and ECU.

Best Regards
Old 04-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my530i' post='266591' date='Apr 8 2006, 06:03 PM
Hi Mitch,

For SMG Paddle Shift, you'll need:
1. M5 SMG Paddle for both sides
2. M5 or SMG Sport steering wheel
3. If you DON'T have round airbag, you'll needed new round airbag, and put the other airbag on eBay to recover the cost
4. My kit which include all interface with Steptronic, paddle, and ECU.

Best Regards
Thank you. How much does it cost for everything that i will need, including steering wheel? How much can i get for my existing wheel and air bag?
Thanks again for your help.

Mitch
Old 04-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mitchell' post='266605' date='Apr 8 2006, 10:25 PM
Thank you. How much does it cost for everything that i will need, including steering wheel? How much can i get for my existing wheel and air bag?
Thanks again for your help.

Mitch
Your air bag can be sold for at least $300 and your steering wheel for about $200.