E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need to run a wire from trunk to dash....please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new to the forum. I've found alot of great information already. I need some help running a satellite antenna extension from the existing Sirius antenna in the trunk to the dash to install an XM Skydock. I'm trying to find the best way to get the wire from the trunk into the cabin. Can someone please provide some advice? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

Welcome!

It's actually fairly simple. If you wanted to do it the quick way, you could just tuck the wire under the door sill paneling all the way back and run the wire under the rear seat into the trunk. A more proper installation would involve the removal of the panels, luckily they all come off exactly as logic would tell you they should. Just pull up with a firm/short tug on one side of each sill panel and it will come right off. This will allow you to run the wire beneath the threshold of the carpet therefore ensuring it won't make an unexpected guest appearance in the future.

However, if this were my car, I would buy an extra XM antenna and install it in the dash. If you look at the top of the CID (the iDrive monitor) you'll see underneath the top overhang of the housing there are two tiny torx screws. If you remove those and pull the monitor down from the top, push the whole assembly forward a bit - then up and out - you'll notice the top of it is prime real estate for the antenna. Use some 3M double sided tape to secure it and you will rarely (if ever) have a trouble acquiring satellites (from my experience).
Old 11-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Sublime
Welcome!

It's actually fairly simple. If you wanted to do it the quick way, you could just tuck the wire under the door sill paneling all the way back and run the wire under the rear seat into the trunk. A more proper installation would involve the removal of the panels, luckily they all come off exactly as logic would tell you they should. Just pull up with a firm/short tug on one side of each sill panel and it will come right off. This will allow you to run the wire beneath the threshold of the carpet therefore ensuring it won't make an unexpected guest appearance in the future.

However, if this were my car, I would buy an extra XM antenna and install it in the dash. If you look at the top of the CID (the iDrive monitor) you'll see underneath the top overhang of the housing there are two tiny torx screws. If you remove those and pull the monitor down from the top, push the whole assembly forward a bit - then up and out - you'll notice the top of it is prime real estate for the antenna. Use some 3M double sided tape to secure it and you will rarely (if ever) have a trouble acquiring satellites (from my experience).

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually planning on using the existing sharkfin antenna. I have the extension wire and have already tested that it works by accessing the Sirius receiver in the trunk. My issue is simply finding an opening in which to get the wire from the back seat into the trunk. You said to remove the back seat. Do you mean the bottom or top part? If I do that, is there a clear openening into the trunk? If there are, perhaps, picture in another topic, that would be great. I think I'm ok with getting it hidden in the cabin up to the dash. (stay tuned on that).

Installing an antenna near the idrive monitor sounds interesting. I'm thinking I'd get better reception from the sharkfin though. Thanks so much for your help!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I wouldn't touch the sharkfin if I were you. To get to the screws of the sharkfin you actually have to cut through the glue of the cover.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I wouldn't touch the sharkfin if I were you. To get to the screws of the sharkfin you actually have to cut through the glue of the cover.
I may have said it wrong....I'm tying into the antenna wire that is plugged into the existing Sirius receiver in the trunk. I'm not actually removing or augmenting the actual sharkfin; only using the sat. antenna that's already attached into it and run into the trunk. I've already tested the functionality of it, plugging it into my xm radio and it works. It's just a matter of running the wire. Thanks!