E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NEED HELP INSTALLING M5 CLUSTER

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Alpine White

I have a 2008 E60 and was wondering what I exactly have to do to install a M5 Cluster? Is it plug and play? or Do I need to get it coded at dealer or can anyone do it cheaper? Will my original mileage show up on it or am I going to get error codes.

My car is a LCI, do I need to get a LCI M5 Cluster or will any M5 Cluster work?

I would really appreciate any help on doing this mod. Thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i searched and searched and read and read all over this blog and the internet as well. ive sent PMs and even looked at similar threads for M3 cluster retrofits....however....all in vain.

here is what i have found out....you cannot plug and play the cluster and have all functions work properly. also, if you install it as is w/o coding it you will cause a data transmission fault. this can be pretty serious bc right now i cannot use NCS Expert to have anything coded on my car because of a false VIN number error. my M5 cluster was used and i plugged it in for a day to see if it would work....prolly should not have done that.

in order to make it work, u can go one of two routes that i know of....buy a new cluster and have it coded by a dealer....they need to start with the original cluster then midway thru the KOMBI programming swap out to the brand new OEM and continue the programming process. the other way that i know of is having an used cluster's computer chip wiped clean of its data and then programmed with your VIN number. but in order to do this you need to find someone with the parts and programming software to do this. i havent found anyone in the states who can do it so far.....

good luck tho...if you figure out another way to make it work i could def use the help too!