E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

n54 535xi swap to a MANUAL tranny with REAR wheels drive conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xi e61 with pure turbo DD
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54b30
Default n54 535xi swap to a MANUAL tranny with REAR wheels drive conversion

Hi Everybody! I have 2008 bmw 535xi e61 with automatic transmission and I'm looking for the parts for the rear wheel drive conversion with the manual transmission SWAP.

here is a VIN of the car: WBAPT73538CX00429

I'm located on Los Angeles, California.

Totally understand that there is a lot of work, an there is a lot of parts that i have to find first. But i have no rush, and very solid on my decision.

So far i have list of this parts and only you guys know what else do i need (: so Please advise!

and i don't have any part numbers that i should look for..

1. Shift Assembly

2. Manual transmission mounts

3. Clutch lines/Clutch assembly

4. Manual transmission

5. Pedals

6. rear Shaft

7. rear Diff (if needed? what is better to run old from automatic set up or manual?)

8. engine oil pan (for the rear wheels drive only)

What else? Should it be a different sub frame, and what suspension parts should be different for the front?

Also if you have any of the parts for sale please let me know will be very appreciate your help. Thank you!
Old 04-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

You can find the part numbers by going to realoem.com.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:30 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

going to Rwd: you'll need: front subframe, oil pan, steering rack, all front control arms, front sway bar, front hubs, brake(rotors at minimum), front shocks/springs/mounts and will have to change the front wheels as the offsets will be different.

Then for manual: you've got it, trans, shift linkages, shift lever/knob/boot, gas/brake pedals, clutch hydraulics, you'll need to do some wiring for the NSS and reverse lights etc. Rear diff is a different ratio and recommended to change; axles are also larger but not sure if totally needed.

Beyond that you'll have to make a custom bracket for the trans mounts to tunnel.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:37 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not all that is needed for RWD

Have you went ahead with this swap yet? The RWD does not require all that replacement at the front. If you want to replace all those items it would be ideal, but it is not 100% necessary. I have a 2006 530xi that is now RWD. It was born with a 6MT so that part I cannot tell you about, even though the stuff listed looks about right. The biggest issue with using a 6MT without the transfer case is the mounting bracket will need to be custom built. I have removed some of the front drive components and the AWD control module. You will need to modify the front drive axles by removing the outer part of the outer CV joint and use that in the upright/hub. The outer portion goes through the bearing and therefore holds the wheel on and also has the sensor ring for the wheel speed sensors. The rest of the axle is scrapped. The prop shaft to the front diff just unbolts. I still have the front Diff on the car since I have not felt like dropping the subframe to remove it, but I plan to someday. I just rigged some plugs to cover up the holes where the axles went. The Oil Pan can remain, it has a tube through it for the drive axle, but the pan is sealed. Again changing to the RWD Oil Pan would be ideal, but I think it also requires a different Oil Pickup for the Oil Pump, so check on that before diving into that area. You will need a RWD ABS/VDC module also. The AWD ABS/VDC module needs to talk to the AWD control module and will error out on start up without any communication. The RWD ABS/VDC module will need coding to the vehicle and the vehicle VO changed to remove AWD. You will also need to rotate/modify the Wheel Speed Sensors 180 degrees in the Front wheel uprights. They are mounted differently in the AWD verses RWD and the ABS/VDC module will error out without this change. It took me months to figure that one out. I'm carrying around the Front Diff and Transfer case, but otherwise RWD. I do get better mileage like this .It would be even better with all the other items swapped, but also a lot more cost.