E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My winter tire set-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to put the winter tire set-up on over the long Thanksgiving weekend. I went with Blizzak MZ-03 245/40 R18s on Mille Miglia five spoke rims. I went with the 18" for better handling on dry/wet pavement days. Has anyone out there driven the 18" in snow. I've had 17" in the past that were great in snow. Not sure if the 18" will be a noticable difference.
Attached Thumbnails My winter tire set-up-prairie_images_079.jpg   My winter tire set-up-prairie_images_078.jpg  
Old 11-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Nice setup

Drove 18' summer in the snow and it was a pain but not snow tires
Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hi kigerka, oops, I meant cocogigio,

Looks sweet!
I have an 18" setup. For my driving style and weather conditions, it is the best for me. Just don't expect them to stick like the summer tires. I'm running the same size as you. I find that they are quieter than the run-flats and don't wander as much. May be due to the new tread but could also be due to the narrow width in the rear.

Hey, and the 18's will make a nice setup when you get the new M5!

My winter tire set-up-dscn0411.jpg
Old 11-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Members

very nice !
Old 11-29-2004, 03:08 AM
Contributors

Anyone heard of traction maps? Wow, I saw that on one of the magazine in the last airplane I took last week to my Thanksgiving break to Miami Beach.

It is a pair piece of plastic_ maps that you lay on the floor in case you can not drive off your car because of ice.

Sometimes my major problem is in the parking lot at work while trying to drive off. Once my car is in motion, i have little problem getting home.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Nov 29 2004, 01:08 PM
Anyone heard of traction maps? Wow, I saw that on one of the magazine in the last airplane I took last week to my Thanksgiving break to Miami Beach.

It is a pair piece of plastic_ maps that you lay on the floor in case you can not drive off your car because of ice.

Sometimes my major problem is in the parking lot at work while trying to drive off. Once my car is in motion, i have little problem getting home.
[snapback]61959[/snapback]
Because of ice... What do I have to do with it?

Never heard about it.
But the rubber floor mats will do the job too, I guess.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Had my 18's with Mich Pilot Alpins in the snow. It was more icy though, and did not have a good traction in those conditions, but the dry handling seemed pretty good. I think that mine would do better in snow pack, instead of light snow over kind of icy roads. Very easy to get the back end out, but felt comfortable. If I knew that I would encounter these conditions more, I would have gone with a Studless ice/snow tire instead of the performance winter.

As a side note, I am not liking the gravel/sand they put down. Already have a little chip.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Grey 545i, Steptronic, Black Leather, Poplar Trim, Sport Package, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Nav, PDC, Cold Weather Package, Sun Shades, X-pel clear bra

cocogigio,

You must have put those on Sunday, since I do not see any of the 4" of snow we got on Wednseday. Nice set up- I also went with 18" Mille Miglia, but with Dunlop M3's. Unfortunatley, mine were delivered from Tire Rack Wednesday afternoon during the snowstorm while I was at work. Looks like we may be able to see how they work tomorrow though.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:50 AM
Contributors

I actually put them on the car on Friday but took the picture on Sunday. I had to have the car nice and clean before posting pics on the board! If we get snow tonight I'll be able to check them out.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Nov 28 2004, 02:44 PM
Decided to put the winter tire set-up on over the long Thanksgiving weekend.? ? I went with Blizzak MZ-03 245/40 R18s on Mille Miglia five spoke rims.? I went with the 18" for better handling on dry/wet pavement days.? Has anyone out there driven the 18" in snow.? I've had 17" in the past that were great in snow.? Not sure if the 18" will be a noticable difference.
[snapback]61676[/snapback]
Nice wheels! Are those gunmetal?

Quick Reply: My winter tire set-up