E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My trip to Dinan

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I've been going back and forth on the Dinan exhaust, but really wanted to hear it in person before I do it--and need to convince myself that it's worth $1,400 + install...

When I asked a few weeks ago if I could come hear their 545i, it was in socal on a dealer tour. Could you make a sound clip when you go Monday?
Old 12-30-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I've been debating different exhausts for a while now too. It's also hard for me to justify the Dinan when I also really like the Remus at half the price. I guess the two main reasons I'm leaning towards Dinan is because I want to go with just one tuner for all my performance parts and Dinan offers such a great warranty.

I think the thing that's sealing the deal for me is that my wife gave me a picture of the Dinan exhaust for Xmas and told me to have at it.

I'll see what I can do about the sound clip. I will also suggest that Dinan posts sound clips up on their site.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217282' date='Dec 30 2005, 10:20 AM
I've been debating different exhausts for a while now too. It's also hard for me to justify the Dinan when I also really like the Remus at half the price. I guess the two main reasons I'm leaning towards Dinan is because I want to go with just one tuner for all my performance parts and Dinan offers such a great warranty.

I think the thing that's sealing the deal for me is that my wife gave me a picture of the Dinan exhaust for Xmas and told me to have at it.

I'll see what I can do about the sound clip. I will also suggest that Dinan posts sound clips up on their site.
Dinan also has an installation shop in Mountain View, so if you decide to go with them, that might be closer for you.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I was actually thinking of either doing it at their Morgan Hill facility or at Stevens Creek BMW. SC is closer but I was waiting to see what kind of package deal Felipe can put together for me and then seeing how that compares to SC's prices.

My thought about doing it at SC is that I'll lessen the chance of any warranty issues since I get my car service there. Build up my rapport with them so they'll be easier on me...haha

BTW, Felipe also mentioned that Dinan is working closely with BMW to be included in their certified pre-owned program so that cars with Dinan products can be covered under BMW's extended 100K mile warranty. Something of that nature. I should get more details.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Sorry, but I don't really care for a different sound other than the default one. BUT, I would like to know if Dinan is working on a supercharger for the 4.4 liter engine in the 545i. Please ask them for me. and if they have plans, what is their timeline and estimated cost. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Contributors

I did ask Felipe that as he was showing me a table with about 4 E46 M3 superchargers on it being tested. His reply was just "we might". Doesn't sound too promising for the near term.

As for the MAF and ECU tuning (the reason I originally called them), he thinks around Spring. They're also developing some suspension pieces and he said he'll try to get me a look at the prototype shocks for the E60.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='217130' date='Dec 30 2005, 07:44 AM
Wow. I envy you guys. I wish I could check out a shop like that. There is nothing like that here on the islands. Just getting rims is an extra hassle and charge. Have fun on Monday, and I'll be hoping for a full report.

All we have is quickfit!!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 10:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217142
Originally Posted by The Kloser' post='217130' date='Dec 30 2005, 07:44 AM
Wow. I envy you guys. I wish I could check out a shop like that. There is nothing like that here on the islands. Just getting rims is an extra hassle and charge. Have fun on Monday, and I'll be hoping for a full report.

All we have is quickfit!!!!
What is quickfit!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='216974' date='Dec 29 2005, 05:43 PM
I called Dinan a couple days ago to inquire about the MAF and ECU tuning. I spoke to Felipe and he was very helpful. Since I'm not too far from their Morgan Hill facility, he invited me to come down and test drive their 545.

I went there earlier today. I was down the street and happened to run into one of their e39 M5s (I think S2-M5). It was behind me and we were about 50 yards from the left turn down their street. The guy gunned it and that thing blasted right by me and took the turn at probably 50mph+. The sound of that car was awesome.

I got to the facility and Felipe took me for a tour. It's a huge place, there were about 12 cars in their engine bays including Steve Dinan's S3-M5 and his new E60 M5, having Dinan wheels put on. Felipe took me through the shop and showed me where they fabricate their own exhausts. They hand weld all their exhaust. There are only 4 welders that service the 140+ Dinan retailers nationwide. Each muffler has the hand engraved initials of the welder (nice personalized touch). He also took me through their race department where I saw about six or so race engines on stands. We found the dyno room and there she was, the black E60 545 all wired up like the Six Million Dollar Man.

The 545 was under some testing so unfortunately, we couldn't take it out for a spin or fire her up. But I was able to check out the exhaust and CAI that was mounted in the car. The installation and product all look top notch.

At this point, if it wasn't the little voice in my ear that sounded like my wife, I would have told Felipe to throw his entire catalog at my car. Too bad that voice got louder and kept me real. Felipe is a great guy. He said if I wanted to have them do all the work, he can put something together for me and work on the labor costs. He also suggested other options such as calling Wayne at Stevens Creek BMW if I wanted the work done there, closer to my house. Since we couldn't drive the 545 today, he told me to come back on Mon and take her for a spin.

We walked outside and while Felipe was checking out my car, Steve Dinan's wife roared through the parking lot in a black 645i. Didn't get to meet her though but the Dinan exhaust on that 645 sounded beautiful. I hope to go back there on Mon since it's my day off. If the stars line up, maybe I'll drive away with the CAI, throttle body and exhaust. Anyone want to come??

Sorry for the long post.
Cool experience. I am short of time now, but will get back to you on your trip. HNY.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217305' date='Dec 30 2005, 02:12 PM
BTW, Felipe also mentioned that Dinan is working closely with BMW to be included in their certified pre-owned program so that cars with Dinan products can be covered under BMW's extended 100K mile warranty. Something of that nature. I should get more details.
That is what must happen for me to do anymore Dinan mods. I just traded my CPO 330cic for a CPO 2005 545i and the BMW dealer (in Tennessee) dinged my trade-in value because I had Dinan engine and transmission software - even though it was installed by a BMW dealer in Georgia that is owned by the same company (Sonic) as the TN dealer! And the GA dealer is an authorized Dinan installer!

That being said, if Dinan works this out with BMW, I have my eye on their exhaust! The ONLY things I miss about my 330 were the drop-top and the stock sound of the exhaust. I loved starting that car in my garage and listening to the low rumble bouncing off the walls!

Of course the list of things I LOVE about my 545i is very long!

Quick Reply: My trip to Dinan