E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My trip to Dinan

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I called Dinan a couple days ago to inquire about the MAF and ECU tuning. I spoke to Felipe and he was very helpful. Since I'm not too far from their Morgan Hill facility, he invited me to come down and test drive their 545.

I went there earlier today. I was down the street and happened to run into one of their e39 M5s (I think S2-M5). It was behind me and we were about 50 yards from the left turn down their street. The guy gunned it and that thing blasted right by me and took the turn at probably 50mph+. The sound of that car was awesome.

I got to the facility and Felipe took me for a tour. It's a huge place, there were about 12 cars in their engine bays including Steve Dinan's S3-M5 and his new E60 M5, having Dinan wheels put on. Felipe took me through the shop and showed me where they fabricate their own exhausts. They hand weld all their exhaust. There are only 4 welders that service the 140+ Dinan retailers nationwide. Each muffler has the hand engraved initials of the welder (nice personalized touch). He also took me through their race department where I saw about six or so race engines on stands. We found the dyno room and there she was, the black E60 545 all wired up like the Six Million Dollar Man.

The 545 was under some testing so unfortunately, we couldn't take it out for a spin or fire her up. But I was able to check out the exhaust and CAI that was mounted in the car. The installation and product all look top notch.

At this point, if it wasn't the little voice in my ear that sounded like my wife, I would have told Felipe to throw his entire catalog at my car. Too bad that voice got louder and kept me real. Felipe is a great guy. He said if I wanted to have them do all the work, he can put something together for me and work on the labor costs. He also suggested other options such as calling Wayne at Stevens Creek BMW if I wanted the work done there, closer to my house. Since we couldn't drive the 545 today, he told me to come back on Mon and take her for a spin.

We walked outside and while Felipe was checking out my car, Steve Dinan's wife roared through the parking lot in a black 645i. Didn't get to meet her though but the Dinan exhaust on that 645 sounded beautiful. I hope to go back there on Mon since it's my day off. If the stars line up, maybe I'll drive away with the CAI, throttle body and exhaust. Anyone want to come??

Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would've loved to go but i'll be out of town on business on monday

have fun!
Old 12-29-2005, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Wow! Sounds like an awsome 'field trip', thanks for sharing the experience. I might be able to get a "kitchen pass" for Monday, let me know if you're still going.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Contributors

I am pretty sure I'm going. The more I think about it the more excited I get. I'm really hoping to buy something while I'm there too.

Another thing that Felipe asked me was if I wanted to volunteer to have them use my car for testing of new products and in turn, I would get a free item. I was like HELL YEAH! But.....I wonder why they would need another car if they already have a 545. Unless they want to test incremental performance gains over a stock set up for each new performance part and don't want to have to take apart the other car each time. Maybe they can test a supercharger on my car...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 JET BLACK on BLACK SPORTS PACK 5ER, with RADENERGIE R-10's @ 20"

Wow. I envy you guys. I wish I could check out a shop like that. There is nothing like that here on the islands. Just getting rims is an extra hassle and charge. Have fun on Monday, and I'll be hoping for a full report.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Contributors

Hey, I envy you for being on the islands. I've been to Oahu, Maui and Kaua'i. If only my job didn't keep me here.

Anyway, I'll see if there's anyway we can organize some sort of group buy with Dinan. I saw a link to a thread on the m5board and it seems like it could be tough but I'll check it out and let everyone know.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217106' date='Dec 29 2005, 09:54 PM
Another thing that Felipe asked me was if I wanted to volunteer to have them use my car for testing of new products and in turn, I would get a free item. I was like HELL YEAH!
I'm already on the list for 530i volunteers!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ro11dice' post='217150
Another thing that Felipe asked me was if I wanted to volunteer to have them use my car for testing of new products and in turn, I would get a free item. I was like HELL YEAH!
I'm already on the list for 530i volunteers!
[/quote]

Shoot us some pix....
Old 12-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributors

I forgot to bring my camera yesterday. I wonder if they wouldn't mind me shooting some pics of their facility. I'll definitely take some pics if they allow me.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='217227' date='Dec 30 2005, 05:48 PM
I forgot to bring my camera yesterday. I wonder if they wouldn't mind me shooting some pics of their facility. I'll definitely take some pics if they allow me.

Can't wait to see pics...

Great opening thread

Quick Reply: My trip to Dinan