E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My spoiler.. part deux

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

OK guys, so after getting the run around from the body shop I finally got my replacement spoiler. I researched more on how to install the spoiler and decided to use Betalink. The kit contains the glue, a nozzle for the glue, a can of cleaner, a piece of sandpaper and a spatula. I dry fit the spoiler and it looked like a great fit. So I take the sandpaper and rough up the inside of the spoiler and use the cleaner to remove any dust and residue. I also use the cleaner on the car to make sure there is no wax or oil on it either. I cut off the end of the tube of glue, it looks like a thing you buy at the grocery that cookie dough comes in, and fit the nozzle. I start squeezing the tube to get the glue out and no matter how hard I squeeze I can't get the glue to come out. I try rolling the end like you would a tube of tooth paste, still nothing. Already I start to worry about how this is going to work. I end up having to slice the tube length wise and try to use the spatula to get the glue on the spoiler. This stuff is like tar after it has started to cool. I finally get glue on the spoiler after getting way too much on me.
I put the spoiler on the car and it goes exactly where I had marked for it to go. I put a bunch of painters tape in the middle to hold it in place. I go to one end and it looks good for fit so I press it down and tape it down. I go to the opposite end and press it down and tape it. Then I start working my way across making sure that everything in still in position. I get back to the first end I had taped down and it has popped loose so I press it on again and apply more tape. Yes, you can guess the rest. I get one end down and the other pops up. So I decided to take the take off the middle and tape the ends down first. Nope that doesn't work either. After fighting with this thing for over an hour I finally give in and tape it down as best I can and call it a day.
Tomorrow I'm going to Hope Depot and see if I can find black silicone caulk or something similar and run a small bead across the seam to try and fill it in as evenly as I can.
You would think that since this spoiler is made by a big name company that the fit would be better than this. Either that or it just needs more prep to make the fit right. I know that this is the last time I attempt to do anything like this myself.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

it is a pretty depressing feeling when u take on a job yourself and it dosent come out good. i get so mad sometimes that i just made things worse i think i ruined my car.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

That's how my RDSport roof spoiler was when I dry fitted it. I didn't try the trunk spoiler yet. Instead of going the Home Depot route I'm sure the body shop will be able to sand/prep for a perfect fit rather than resort to running a bead of anything to cover up a gap.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SBrown712
OK guys, so after getting the run around from the body shop I finally got my replacement spoiler. I researched more on how to install the spoiler and decided to use Betalink. The kit contains the glue, a nozzle for the glue, a can of cleaner, a piece of sandpaper and a spatula. I dry fit the spoiler and it looked like a great fit. So I take the sandpaper and rough up the inside of the spoiler and use the cleaner to remove any dust and residue. I also use the cleaner on the car to make sure there is no wax or oil on it either. I cut off the end of the tube of glue, it looks like a thing you buy at the grocery that cookie dough comes in, and fit the nozzle. I start squeezing the tube to get the glue out and no matter how hard I squeeze I can't get the glue to come out. I try rolling the end like you would a tube of tooth paste, still nothing. Already I start to worry about how this is going to work. I end up having to slice the tube length wise and try to use the spatula to get the glue on the spoiler. This stuff is like tar after it has started to cool. I finally get glue on the spoiler after getting way too much on me.I put the spoiler on the car and it goes exactly where I had marked for it to go. I put a bunch of painters tape in the middle to hold it in place. I go to one end and it looks good for fit so I press it down and tape it down. I go to the opposite end and press it down and tape it. Then I start working my way across making sure that everything in still in position. I get back to the first end I had taped down and it has popped loose so I press it on again and apply more tape. Yes, you can guess the rest. I get one end down and the other pops up. So I decided to take the take off the middle and tape the ends down first. Nope that doesn't work either. After fighting with this thing for over an hour I finally give in and tape it down as best I can and call it a day.Tomorrow I'm going to Hope Depot and see if I can find black silicone caulk or something similar and run a small bead across the seam to try and fill it in as evenly as I can.You would think that since this spoiler is made by a big name company that the fit would be better than this. Either that or it just needs more prep to make the fit right. I know that this is the last time I attempt to do anything like this myself.OK guys, so after getting the run around from the body shop I finally got my replacement spoiler. I researched more on how to install the spoiler and decided to use Betalink. The kit contains the glue, a nozzle for the glue, a can of cleaner, a piece of sandpaper and a spatula. I dry fit the spoiler and it looked like a great fit. So I take the sandpaper and rough up the inside of the spoiler and use the cleaner to remove any dust and residue. I also use the cleaner on the car to make sure there is no wax or oil on it either. I cut off the end of the tube of glue, it looks like a thing you buy at the grocery that cookie dough comes in, and fit the nozzle. I start squeezing the tube to get the glue out and no matter how hard I squeeze I can't get the glue to come out. I try rolling the end like you would a tube of tooth paste, still nothing. Already I start to worry about how this is going to work. I end up having to slice the tube length wise and try to use the spatula to get the glue on the spoiler. This stuff is like tar after it has started to cool. I finally get glue on the spoiler after getting way too much on me.I put the spoiler on the car and it goes exactly where I had marked for it to go. I put a bunch of painters tape in the middle to hold it in place. I go to one end and it looks good for fit so I press it down and tape it down. I go to the opposite end and press it down and tape it. Then I start working my way across making sure that everything in still in position. I get back to the first end I had taped down and it has popped loose so I press it on again and apply more tape. Yes, you can guess the rest. I get one end down and the other pops up. So I decided to take the take off the middle and tape the ends down first. Nope that doesn't work either. After fighting with this thing for over an hour I finally give in and tape it down as best I can and call it a day.Tomorrow I'm going to Hope Depot and see if I can find black silicone caulk or something similar and run a small bead across the seam to try and fill it in as evenly as I can.You would think that since this spoiler is made by a big name company that the fit would be better than this. Either that or it just needs more prep to make the fit right. I know that this is the last time I attempt to do anything like this myself.
Wait what? Wall of text crits you for 60,000 damage?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does beta link damage the paint if you decide to ever remove the spoiler in the future?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Does beta link damage the paint if you decide to ever remove the spoiler in the future?
Like 3M body molding tapes and other special fastening glues with special care it should be removed without damaging the finish. Most times using nylon fishline to "saw" thru the seam and then carefully peeling the remaining product with a plastic scraper and finger pressure will work. If you're uncomfortable doing that the job may be best left to an experienced body shop.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Like 3M body molding tapes and other special fastening glues with special care it should be removed without damaging the finish. Most times using nylon fishline to "saw" thru the seam and then carefully peeling the remaining product with a plastic scraper and finger pressure will work. If you're uncomfortable doing that the job may be best left to an experienced body shop.
I might have to give the beta link a try then, I've tried the 3M tape method also but the ends of my spoilers bow outwards and after a few days the 3M tape can't keep it down and the sides just pop back up again. Hopefully the beta link will give better results with the sides issues.