E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My Results with R1 Concepts Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i w/ Sports Package

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with aftermarket brakes (pads+rotors). I am very happy that I only spent around $800 for a setup that feels as good as OEM, if not better, and gives my car a really nice look, versus spending around $2k to have a BMW dealer replace with OEM parts. My 2007 530i is out of warranty so I had to do my research and shop around. I originally made a post https://5series.net/forums/topic/922...kes-installed/ asking forum members to describe their experience with R1 Concepts line of Rotors. The feedback and other threads I found (plus the fact I didn't want to give the dealer $2k) helped me make the decision to move forward. My goal was to replace my brakes, not spend a lot of money, and still achieve that high caliber of performance that OEM parts give my BMW. R1 Concept Rotors seemed to be the most popular amongst members and I had great results with their Elite line of rotors on my 2005 350Z.

I called R1 Concepts directly and spoke to Steven (x7006) who was absolutely great! He answered all my questions and even hooked me up with a great price. I ordered the Premium Drilled & Slotted Rotors along with Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads and the G2 caliper paint kit which he recommended. I had my neighborhood mechanic install the brakes for me as he was half the price compared to independent shops (also helps that he is a friend and client of mine). My mechanic was also able to obtain aftermarket brake sensors for me. I was able to reset the brake sensor data in the car's computer and I also painted the calipers myself (thanks to the DIYs I found on the forum). Initially, my new brakes did not feel that they had the same bite and stopping power as my OEMs. I had to press harder on the brake petal to get the car to slow down and stop. It was like that for a week until I got my buddy, who calls himself a car expert, to properly do the bedding of the brakes for me. After that, the bite and stopping power of my brakes felt exactly like OEM, meaning less pressure needed on the pedal and immediate response. It has been about 2 months now since I had these new brakes installed and I am very satisfied. I only have one complaint: brake dust. It takes a few days after every wash, but you do notice the build up.

Here are some before and after pictures:
My Results with R1 Concepts Rotors-dsc02768.jpgMy Results with R1 Concepts Rotors-dsc02769.jpgMy Results with R1 Concepts Rotors-img00044-20100402-1425.jpgMy Results with R1 Concepts Rotors-img00048-20100402-1803.jpgMy Results with R1 Concepts Rotors-img00049-20100402-1806.jpg

I hope this post was helpful. This was worth getting done to my car! I get nothing but compliments on the look of my brakes. I also want to say thank you to all the members that have provided useful information in other posts throughout the forum, because without those as a reference I would have been lost...
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Looks good, nice write up, keep updating so others will be able to relate your experience as they wear I have always had good experiences with R1
Old 04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Nice Job

rotors look great.

Maybe a change in the pads might reduce the brake dust ?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Looks really good

I love my R1 cd/s rotors also. These rotors withstood numerous bedding attemps to get rid of an annoying squeel, only to find out I had the wrong type of brake pads (Axxis Ultimates :thumbsdown: ) I put back my OEM pads and no warps nor any squeel since, and the bite and stopping is much improved.

Now show them off with some 166's lol
Old 04-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Members

My Ride: MYSTIC BLUE 04 545I// MTECH KIT//OEM SPLITTERS// M5 TRUNK FINISHER//SMOKED TAILIGHTS// HID/FOG 8000K// EYEBROW UPGRADE// EISAMANN RACE EXHAUST//M5 CLUSTER MOD//Black matte kidney grille// 20'MIRO M6 REP's Flat Black// 20%TINTS// ACS STYLE SPOILER Trunk // MTECV2 ANGEL EYES// LICENSE PLATE LED's // DE-BADGED

how much for the rotors?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

good stuff. we carry the same items and are direct with R1 as well
Old 04-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Great work man! I "JUST" did the same thing you did with the brake caliper paint. Gloss black wins!!!!! I am also getting the R1 Concepts soon. You know what is funny about maintenance on BMWs? Its the perception that everything is ridiculously expensive. That is because the average Joe gets ripped off day in and day out and doesn't care to research the best value beforehand. He/She thinks that everything starts and ends at the dealership and any deviation will cause systematic failure of your car. You can not only maintain your BMW on a budget with a great indy shop, but you can sometimes get better parts than OEM in the process!
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Nice write up
I see your in Woodland Hills, You should come out to some of the local meets.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

good write up. will remember this when it's time for brakes
Old 04-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Great work man! I "JUST" did the same thing you did with the brake caliper paint. Gloss black wins!!!!! I am also getting the R1 Concepts soon. You know what is funny about maintenance on BMWs? Its the perception that everything is ridiculously expensive. That is because the average Joe gets ripped off day in and day out and doesn't care to research the best value beforehand. He/She thinks that everything starts and ends at the dealership and any deviation will cause systematic failure of your car. You can not only maintain your BMW on a budget with a great indy shop, but you can sometimes get better parts than OEM in the process!

+1

Quick Reply: My Results with R1 Concepts Rotors