E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My radar detector and my e60 battle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by chowbox' post='958161' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:10 PM
I called back to V1 and asked for tech support. They were super cool. He put me on hold for a minute to ask another tech & to talk to Mike Valentine. After a short wait he asked if I have sat radio. Yup. It turns out that it?s picking up a signal from the sat radio antenna. Dranged doesn?t have his Sirus radio activated so that would explain why he doesn?t have the problem.
Thast's BS. I've had the same problem in many different cars that didn't have SAT radio. Apparently, these things can occasionally stay locked on a signal even though the signal doesn't exist any more. This problem can occur in any radar detector, not just the V1.

Turning the V1 off and then back on fixes the problem. It doesn't happen often in my case, so I never bothered to contact VR. If I did, they would have to come up with a better excuse.

On a side note - there are vehicles (other than police cars) that use laser. I've learned through experience that the Infinity SUV (QX-45??) has some sort of function that periodically emits a laser beam. So if you are ever driving down the road on wondering why you laser alert keeps going off, check your six for one of these cars.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka' post='958228' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:39 PM
Thast's BS. I've had the same problem in many different cars that didn't have SAT radio. Apparently, these things can occasionally stay locked on a signal even though the signal doesn't exist any more. This problem can occur in any radar detector, not just the V1.

Turning the V1 off and then back on fixes the problem. It doesn't happen often in my case, so I never bothered to contact VR. If I did, they would have to come up with a better excuse.

On a side note - there are vehicles (other than police cars) that use laser. I've learned through experience that the Infinity SUV (QX-45??) has some sort of function that periodically emits a laser beam. So if you are ever driving down the road on wondering why you laser alert keeps going off, check your six for one of these cars.
I think so too but to add i didn't drive 10 hours straight so the unit was turned off multiples times and it always seems to come back. I tried pulling power via plug, and the switch I'll try it with another V1 in the car this week
Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by chowbox' post='958245' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:48 PM
I think so too but to add i didn't drive 10 hours straight so the unit was turned off multiples times and it always seems to come back. I tried pulling power via plug, and the switch I'll try it with another V1 in the car this week
FWIW - did you have a cellphone turned on the whole trip?

Keep us posted.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='958265' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:59 PM
FWIW - did you have a cellphone turned on the whole trip?

Keep us posted.
Yes, phone was always on
Old 07-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

Is there a way to completely turn of the sat radio (yank the fuse)? My friend has an M5 w/ Sirius & a V1 with no problems.

Also I didn't see this in your original post but have you tried putting it in another car and drive around to see if the issue exists? If it does then we know it's the V1.

I had the same problem as you with my V1 and sent it into their labs. They re-programmed it and fixed the problem. You may want to give that a shot?

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

I've actually read someone else commenting on the SAT radio interferring with the V1 radar detector on this forum once..
I believe it was Rudy he made that comment. I got to do a search later when I have time and I'll dig it up.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by chowbox' post='958161' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:10 PM
........I called back to V1 and asked for tech support........They told me to try putting some tin foil or metal home sheathing inside my headliner back by my shark fin. WTF??? Really? Are you F?ing kidding me?? Tin foil? Should I make a hat out of it so the aliens don?t read my mind too?

God I?d miss my signal arrows on this thing if I switch teams

Anyone else have any suggestions
The tinfoil is not so bad, this dude and his pal mittens swear by it.
My radar detector and my e60 battle-tinfoilhat.jpg
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Little Rock, Arkansas?!?! Dude - why'd you drive all the way down there for your car? Who sold the car to you? Don't tell me it was Lynn Gozlin!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
ADD
Senior Members

I had a similar experience in my old e39.

It didn't have SAT radio.

I have SAT radio in this car, and no problems.

The problem in the e39 was related to cell phones.

I was driving along, and had a friend in the car, and kept getting the faint rearward signal on the V1.

We I finally thought of the cell phones, and turned out that whenever I had mine on alone, or his on alone, there was no false alarm. When both were on, it would trigger the V1.

IIRC, they were both Samsung phones. I had a newer version and he had the old clamshell silver one with the black stripe on it.

My money is on the cell phone triggering it.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by pukka' post='958228' date='Jul 29 2009, 10:39 AM

+1 I have SAT radio and no issues with my V1.

+2 Once in a while I'll get a laser warning and there's always either an Infinity or Nissan behind me. Something in those cars are setting off the laser detector. Maybe those cars have the laser guided active cruise control??

Quick Reply: My radar detector and my e60 battle