E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My radar detector and my e60 battle

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I became a member of this little ownership club about 3 weeks ago. I caught a flight to Little Rock, Arkansas, purchased my 2007 550i sport, and started my long journey home to Minneapolis. Fist thing I did was to mount my trusty Valentine One on the windshield and route a long cord to the back seat power outlet so as to keep the ash tray outlet for my phone.

It wasn?t long that I was picking up a Ka signal from behind me at a rate of 2-3 signal bars, I muted it but it never really went away. I?m talking about for hours. It was kind of bugging me thinking there was a state patrol way back just or my V1 was picking up some goofy signal somehow.

I drove 10+ hours home with this thing telling me there was a threat behind me. It helped to know if something else came up, it would give a second alert at full volume.

I moved the unit around to different locations on my windshield and even played around with moving my hand to block the signal. I was reasonably sure it was coming from the motion sensor deal behind the sunroof.

When I got home I checked the Valentine One web site to make sure I was up to date on my software. I had sent my unit in for an update a year and a half ago. Turns out I have the latest software, and there are no updates. Hmmmm?

I called V1, the operator said to send it in there must be something wrong with the unit. After trying the unit in another car I knew that wasn?t the case. In fact, I talked to Dranged on the way home and asked if he has had any problems with his V1 in his car, NOPE!

I called back to V1 and asked for tech support. They were super cool. He put me on hold for a minute to ask another tech & to talk to Mike Valentine. After a short wait he asked if I have sat radio. Yup. It turns out that it?s picking up a signal from the sat radio antenna. Dranged doesn?t have his Sirus radio activated so that would explain why he doesn?t have the problem.

They told me to try putting some tin foil or metal home sheathing inside my headliner back by my shark fin. WTF??? Really? Are you F?ing kidding me?? Tin foil? Should I make a hat out of it so the aliens don?t read my mind too?

I absolutely love my V1 but this may draw a line in the sand with me and that thing. Maybe get a Passport 9500i so I can block the signal??? I?m wondering if that would even work seeing it?s based on GPS and the signal will always be moving?

God I?d miss my signal arrows on this thing if I switch teams

Anyone else have any suggestions
Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

crazy! haha tin foil WTF?
Old 07-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

as long as u cant see the tin foil, its good but i highly doubt it will work
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chowbox' post='958161' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:10 PM
Fist thing I did was to mount my trusty Valentine One on the windshield and route a long cord to the back seat power outlet so as to keep the ash tray outlet for my phone.
You do realize that there is a outlet near the floor board of the front passenger side of the car right?
Thats where I route my wire too and around the window and headliners. Or does a 2007 not have one?

But yea that sucks about putting a tin foil in the back LOL.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I have SAT, NAV, and a V1 and I do not have any false alarms with it. The V1 has worked great for over a year. I think there must be something else going on.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i sport, 46k, titanium grey with dakota grey interior, auto stick, all options except HUD

Originally Posted by chowbox' post='958161' date='Jul 29 2009, 01:10 PM
So I became a member of this little ownership club about 3 weeks ago. I caught a flight to Little Rock, Arkansas, purchased my 2007 550i sport, and started my long journey home to Minneapolis. Fist thing I did was to mount my trusty Valentine One on the windshield and route a long cord to the back seat power outlet so as to keep the ash tray outlet for my phone.

It wasn?t long that I was picking up a Ka signal from behind me at a rate of 2-3 signal bars, I muted it but it never really went away. I?m talking about for hours. It was kind of bugging me thinking there was a state patrol way back just or my V1 was picking up some goofy signal somehow.

I drove 10+ hours home with this thing telling me there was a threat behind me. It helped to know if something else came up, it would give a second alert at full volume.

I moved the unit around to different locations on my windshield and even played around with moving my hand to block the signal. I was reasonably sure it was coming from the motion sensor deal behind the sunroof.

When I got home I checked the Valentine One web site to make sure I was up to date on my software. I had sent my unit in for an update a year and a half ago. Turns out I have the latest software, and there are no updates. Hmmmm?

I called V1, the operator said to send it in there must be something wrong with the unit. After trying the unit in another car I knew that wasn?t the case. In fact, I talked to Dranged on the way home and asked if he has had any problems with his V1 in his car, NOPE!

I called back to V1 and asked for tech support. They were super cool. He put me on hold for a minute to ask another tech & to talk to Mike Valentine. After a short wait he asked if I have sat radio. Yup. It turns out that it?s picking up a signal from the sat radio antenna. Dranged doesn?t have his Sirus radio activated so that would explain why he doesn?t have the problem.

They told me to try putting some tin foil or metal home sheathing inside my headliner back by my shark fin. WTF??? Really? Are you F?ing kidding me?? Tin foil? Should I make a hat out of it so the aliens don?t read my mind too?

I absolutely love my V1 but this may draw a line in the sand with me and that thing. Maybe get a Passport 9500i so I can block the signal??? I?m wondering if that would even work seeing it?s based on GPS and the signal will always be moving?

God I?d miss my signal arrows on this thing if I switch teams

Anyone else have any suggestions
VAMOS CHILDREN, VAMOS,,,,TIN FOIL, in a 70k ride,,,no way
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 650 Grand Coupe
Model Year: 2016

I honestly don't think your sat radio has anything to do with it. I have sat in every car I own, and it has never set off my radar. Granted, I have Passports and not the V1, but still, if that was the cause, it should mess with the Passport as well I would think.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='958174' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:16 PM
You do realize that there is a outlet near the floor board of the front passenger side of the car right?
Thats where I route my wire too and around the window and headliners. Or does a 2007 not have one?
It's there, but i didn't know about it until i got home and was reading the neat finding thread on here.

My V1 will be hardwired if I don't spike it a wall first
Old 07-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

NEW MOD - everyone rel=place your headliners with tin foil, quick!!!! I can smell a GB for Reynold's wrap coming already!!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ENstig8or' post='958184' date='Jul 29 2009, 12:20 PM
I honestly don't think your sat radio has anything to do with it. I have sat in every car I own, and it has never set off my radar. Granted, I have Passports and not the V1, but still, if that was the cause, it should mess with the Passport as well I would think.
I would think the same thing

I found this while I was digging on the internets

http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/car-aud...nformation.html

Quick Reply: My radar detector and my e60 battle