E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Hi Guys!

Today was the Big Day at Triple AAA in West LA!

I really don't think I could have done this without the help of a couple of folks on this list. Bimmer 32 and RodyBMW. You guys are truly great people and I'm indebted to both of you. To the other bros who helped with input and advice, a sincere THANK YOU as well.

Let's get to it. (One note--I'm inserting Photos every step of the way so this can hopefully be used as a resource world over for BMW V-8 Quad Installs---Thanks to Alex for the first pictographic Quad Install thread). I'll probably need 3-4 posts to position the photos correctly. (If someone here-maybe a Mod-can post the photos in concert with the steps--that would be very helpful)

Pepe and Chris(?) were instrumental in all of this as the Master Techs at Triple AAA. And guys, I'm fairly certain there is nobody else in CA you should feel more comfortable with regarding BMWs and exhausts. These guys know what they are doing and more than open to listen to you ask questions every step of the way.(which I did) Also MAD PROPS to Phil Altmeir(Owner of Triple AAA) and Jesse Kline for their advice and warmth when responding to my questions/demands.

Step 1--Removing the BMW 08 550i Stock Exhaust(Mufflers and Piping)
The entire component weighs about 100 pounds.(see 2 pics)

Step 2--Installing the Custom Black Diffuser with right side port <Note>(I will be adding Hamaan or M5 Diffuser in Carbon Fiber within 2 weeks)(See One Pic)

Step 3--Showing the First 2 OEM Resonators Cut where X-Pipe is to be installed(2 Pics)
Attached Thumbnails My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0646.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0647.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0649.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0651.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0652.jpg  

Old 12-21-2007, 11:18 PM
Senior Members

Step 4---Seeing the Area where Piping will run to the tail and how minimal the area is on the right side near the spare tire well and battery pack[/b](3 Pics)

Step 5--Installing X-Pipe after the First 2 OE Resonators(3 pics)

Step 6--Installing 2 Remus 4' Round Universal Mufflers in place of where the OE Boxed Resonator was.(GENIUS)and more on that later. (3 Pics)
Attached Thumbnails My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0650.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0655.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0656.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0669.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0671.jpg  

My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0665.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0667.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0672.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0668.jpg  
Old 12-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

I don't like that X: in my opinion it steals some HP, although it gives a but of backpressure at lows .
Anyway, good job!
Did you notice the car seems lighter than before driving it ?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

Step 7--Running piping from each Remus 4' Round Universal Muffler to left and right side (2.25 to 2.5' Piping to match OEM Stock)(2 Pics)

Step 8--Welding Piping to Remus Mufflers and setting up housings correctly to balance my tips equally(2 pics)

Step 9--Attaching Custom ACS Tips(Generic Tips until I decide what Diffuser to Floss)and welding so equal spacing and fitting when set.(2 pics)
Attached Thumbnails My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0664.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0676.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0677.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0674.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0673.jpg  

Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Step 10--Pictures of the Exhaust Installed.(4 Pics)

I have been driving it all day and my general impressions are "SHE KICKS SERIOUS ASS".
My Sound is FARKING INSANE(not insane in a loud obnoxious/ricey way). INSANE AS IN START UP and 3000 RPM + M-5 EURO GROWL. I have little recognizable droning/resonance. Maybe a tiny-wee bit between 1500 and 2000RPMS(as Bimmer 32 states) but not noticeable to wife or other people riding with me.

She sounds like a TEUTONIC BEAST!

I will hold out on stating whether I've lost any low end torque yet. I think there could be very slight loss(Alex just commented he didn't like my "X-PIPE" and I need to investigate further)although on my last run off the freeway downshifting into 3rd and 2nd to city streets it was like nothing I've felt before. (and my re-map is gone due to BMW having to replace the Step shifter---when I get my new Diffuser I will have EuroRev re-program for me)

Yes this car is much lighter and between 4000 and 7000 RPMs fools best prepare.
The ACS Tips look great and clearly Black is a perfect "offset color" for my paint(Space Grau).

I'm definitely going to give her the Full ACS treatment with Boot-Hood and Grill Badge. Steering wheel too. I'm torn with what diffuser to go with as I don't like the ACS diffuser that much. It's probably going to be M-5 or Hamaan in Carbon Fiber.(Anybody with any input here?)

I definitely feel I've gotten exactly what I wanted and Triple AAA's work is EXCELLENT

I am open to suggestions from all of you if you see something in the pictures you think could be improved upon or refined? Alex--please feel free to elaborate on the X-Pipe Design and why you don't like it?

Thanks again for listening. I hope this will help any/all of us down the road as we continue to refine our Quad Exhaust installs and modifications.

I will get some sound clips up as soon as I can get with Ryan to create a sick little video. Trust me guys---this thing sounds SICK! Joe--I can only imagine this sounds something similar to your RDS Quad.

Happy Holidays to All and especially to me as Santa could never have given me a better present(at least until 5.5 weeks when my first child(Alexandra Isabella)is born!

So Cal (Jay C)
Attached Thumbnails My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0678.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0679.jpg   My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step-img_0680.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

It's interesting the way they mounted the mufflers. That's one way to get a symmetrical setup with the limited space on the right side! Looks great Jay. Can't wait to hear it.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 M3 E60 530i

where did u get that custom diffuser? do you have to take off the rear bumper in order to install or uninstall the diffuser?
Old 12-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='509505' date='Dec 22 2007, 10:13 AM
It's interesting the way they mounted the mufflers. That's one way to get a symmetrical setup with the limited space on the right side! Looks great Jay. Can't wait to hear it.
+1 I agree, I like the simplicity behind this idea - but too late, I just ordered a Supersprint !
Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Senior Members

Very nice, you used 2x Rev3 universals I guess?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RemusExhaustShop' post='509572' date='Dec 22 2007, 07:54 AM
Very nice, you used 2x Rev3 universals I guess?
Hi Matt! I think so. I don't know the exact 2 Round Remus Universals used? Maybe from looking at the pictures you can see what you said they are? Let me know so I can link to your website. The Sound is tremendous.
Remus definitely gives the sound I wanted.

So Cal

Quick Reply: My Quad Exhaust Install---Pictures for Every Step