E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My 550i under the knife!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012 | 06:46 AM
Members

I have a 08 550i with the m sport package going on 56k miles.

Recently I started noticing that after turning it on, it was taking upward of 7-8 minutes for my A/C to get cold. Also, it doesnt really change temp once its cold to the driver/passenger temp controls.

Mostly, noticing that at low speed pulling off from a stop after a cold start it jolts. Like it doesnt know whether to accelerate or completely let off the gas. And thats me with my foot off the pedal.

Also, it would hold out a gear way too long. For example, as I accelerate it stays stuck on 1st gear and i have to let off the gas like if it was manual in order for it to shift to second. It does this sometimes from 1-2 or 2-3.

Anyone else going through this? I took it to my local BMW dealership. They said that the original a/c pump was designed to bring back the freeon fluid to preserve it if the car is off for a long period of time. But when you turn it on that it takes longer for it to cool for that reason. They said most likely they will change it to a new pump.

For the transmission, he said thats a sign of it going out! He said they will check everything out to make sure its working properly and will check for engine oil leaks as well.

Thank God I bought the Premium extended warranty!!!
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

You're not alone. Same car, 68k miles. Took it in last week and they said everything checked out fine saying that they couldn't replicate. However, they noticed that there were some errors stored for the gear selection out of park, either in drive or reverse. I would do the normal shift and it would give me the exclamation point on the dash, so I'd change it into gear a little slower. Worked most of the time.

They ended up changing out the whole gear selection cluster and doing the software update. Still going too high on the rpms for second gear everyone once in a while but no shifting issues. It's fine once the trans warms up but by that time I'm in DS or DS manual mode. Wish I could have found a true manual trans.

Hopefully it's still under CPO if it goes.
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:14 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

My 2004 530i needed a new trans @ 66,000. My trans started slipping. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 06-26-2012 | 01:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I have a 08 535 and after a long day out in the sun mine takes about five minutes to blow cold. I think its SLOW! After driving a bit it blows very cold and there is no problems. It's just when I first get in on a hot day. I started using window shades and this seemed to help and just figured it's the system and how it works. Funny, my old truck blows cold just as soon as I start the thing!
Old 06-26-2012 | 08:24 PM
Members

My 04 Tahoe gets colder, faster than my 08 BMW.... how is that? USA!!! hahaha
Hell, my 97 Camaro does too!!!

I went to the dealership today, and saw the work order. New transmission $6xxx

They also found an oil leak coming from the engine and a suspension component. The service guy was out to lunch so I didnt investigate too much. This is just what the service girl they have there was able to tell me.

They are sending the request to my extended warranty company I bought the car with. I got the premium coverage bumper to bumper ext. warranty... Heres where it pays off I guess.
Old 07-09-2012 | 05:33 AM
Members

ok its confirmed.... Dealer told me theyre dropping the transmission and its all been approved to replace it. They have the transmission on order and theyre fixing the front timing cover oil leak and valve cover oil leak.

They havent checked on the a/c cooling issue but the service guy thinks its delaying from cooling because the engine oil leak is landing on the compressor pulley. I doubt it, wouldnt you hear the screetching?
Old 07-09-2012 | 06:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Arctic-Rodz
ok its confirmed.... Dealer told me theyre dropping the transmission and its all been approved to replace it. They have the transmission on order and theyre fixing the front timing cover oil leak and valve cover oil leak.
They haven't checked on the a/c cooling issue but the service guy thinks its delaying from cooling because the engine oil leak is landing on the compressor pulley. I doubt it, wouldn't you hear the screetching?
I guess that worked out for you ... (sarcastically) everybody knows the service scheduled for BMW automatic transmissions is to remove and replace them every 50k miles. All high performance cars require the same.
Old 07-09-2012 | 09:13 AM
Members

It worked out for me because Im only paying $100 vs the 10grand the warranty is covering
Old 07-17-2012 | 09:32 PM
New Members

I have the same problems with my 2008 550i. I bought two months ago with 37000 miles. I thought maybe that is the way the air and transmission work being my first BMW. I have an appointment at the BMW dealer where I bought the car for tomorrow-the front day time running light and parking light on the right side are out- so now I will bring up the air conditioner and the transmission. When I take off and drive around 35 to 45 the car will not shift gears and I drive it with the engine reved up. After I get on a freeway it shifts fine going 65 and up. I live in Phoenix,Az and have driven the car to Denver twice with no problems except at the lower speeds. I am leaving for Denver tomorrow after my service appointment, but if it does need a transmission I guess I will wait until fixed. Thanks for bringing this up.I feel better knowing others are haveing same problems.
Old 07-18-2012 | 06:43 PM
Members

do you have extended warranty?

the bill was $11,745

it was the transmission, front motor cover seal and valve cover seals. a couple of motor sensors and stabilizer struts (or something like that) and a new battery.

Quick Reply: My 550i under the knife!